Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

The Wheels on the Bus... Don't Move Without Keys (Bob)

"So how the fuck ya'll make it here?" he asked me.

"Just passing through," I responded. I looked behind him and saw the other two. There was one guy and one girl. The guy was pecking away at a laptop, while the girl was busy pacing around back and forth.

"Shit, I'm Kwame, that's Riley, and that's my boy Luke. So, shit, ya'll bustin' up out this shit or what? Cause for real mothahfuckah, we 'bout to roll wit chu," said the tall African American gentleman standing in front of me.

Again the issue of me never being able to say no was coming up in my brain. Then I thought, maybe this was my chance. My new African American friend was probably more than capable of taking care of Layla and Roxy both. I just needed to form a temporary alliance and leave when I had the chance. It was almost too easy.

"Of course you can come along, the more the merrier," I said.

"Oh shit! I know you! You that one genius ass girl that helped me pass that hard ass math bull shit I took," said Kwame as he approached Layla. "Hey dog, this girl right here's a fuckin' human calculator, for real." Layla blushed just a little bit. There was more than met the eye to her.

"Watch this dog, what's one hundred and eighty nine times eighty seven?" asked Kwame. Layla got a little redder before she gave the answer which was sixteen thousand four hundred and forty three. A psychology major with ridiculous math skills, I was impressed to say the least.

"Damn home girl, its nice to see your ass," said Kwame. I was around Kwame for five minutes and I already knew he was a talker. He hadn't stopped since we arrived. "Shit its nice to see all ya'll mothahfuckahs though. I was startin' to wonder what we was gonna do bout that mothahfuckah outside," he continued.

Roxy must have gotten annoyed and cut him off. "Well we took care of him for you, now we need a new plan, anybody got any ideas?" she asked.

I started thinking about the situation. We had six people now, way too much for a regular car to hold. We needed something bigger. We were at a college. "Duh," I thought to myself, we need a school bus.

"Are there any buses parked around here?" I asked.

"Fuck yea there is man, we got a whole mothah fuckin fleet out back of here," replied Kwame confidently. "Good plan mothahfuckah!"

"Thanks," I replied.

"Good, now how the fuck do we go about getting the keys?" Roxy asked.

"They probably keep all that stuff in the athletic office," said Luke finally lifting his head from the laptop. We had a plan, now we needed to execute it.

"Roxy and I are going to the athletic office, you four go to the bus. Try to stay quiet and alive for that matter," I instructed. It felt weird giving instructions to people. I've never had to order people around before. I never thought I'd be good at it honestly, but this was life or death, and people were listening. I guess I was doing something right.

"No way! I'm going with you guys!" shouted Layla.

"It'll be fine Layla, just go with them. We'll be back safe and sound, then we'll get out of this hell hole," I pleaded with her.

"Fuck that! Where you go, I go! I'm not leaving you!" she yelled back. I had never heard Layla cuss until now, she meant what she said, I couldn't force her to do anything. I decided it'd be best to call an audible.

"Okay then, Roxy, you go with them, Layla and I will go get the keys." I said.

"Okay, sounds like a plan," responded Roxy. "Don't get yourself killed motherfucker."

"I'll do my best. By the way I love you" I said jokingly.

"Shut the fuck up," she said as we both shared a laugh. After that we all split off and started to execute our part of the plan. I was glad I took Layla after all, she knew the school, which was a huge help. Roxy and I would have gotten lost with our luck. So far so good, we hadn't encountered one zombie yet. Maybe this girl was my good luck charm.

"Its right around this corner," she said. I turned the corner and saw the clan of zombies guarding the hall. They were huge, all wearing football jerseys. I took back the good luck charm idea. This was bad, really bad. There was no way I was going to overpower these guys. Hell I probably couldn't even knock one back. I handed a pistol to Layla.

"We're going to have to shoot them," I said.

"Won't that bring more of them?" she asked.

"Unfortunately, it probably will, but we got no other way out of this," I told her.

I had counted about eleven or twelve of them. Probably the entire starting defense for the football team in zombie form. I did my best to calm Layla, it wasn't working. I told her once we got the keys, we were going to run like hell to the bus. I was going to follow her, and I just prayed I could keep up.

I told her on three, we were going to start shooting. I knew she had never shot a gun before, besides the accident we had in the Lincoln. Between seconds I gave her directions, I just hoped my guess that she was a fast learner was right. It was the longest three seconds of my life. On three we sprung out of the corner, guns blazing. I let Layla fire away, and took care of anything that got close. I heard the clicking of the gun as she ran out of ammo. Luckily it didn't take much to put the rest down. I pulled the gun from her hands and popped in a new clip for her before I gave it back. I reloaded my shotgun as quickly as I could. This is where things were going to get tough.

As I walked past the zombies on the ground, I popped an extra cap into each one. No sense in not making sure they were dead. That was a rule I learned from playing Resident Evil games a long time ago. Just because it looks like its dead, doesn't mean it is. We busted into the office and ransacked it for bus keys. It took a few minutes but we finally found them. The keys to bus number five. I just hoped those few minutes weren't a few too many. Now was the time to let Layla do her thing.

"Alright Layla," I said. "Its time to run as fast as you ever have." I could hear a swarm of them coming from down the hall. Thank God we didn't get trapped in that room. That would have been it for sure.

Layla started running and I just did my best to keep up. She started to slow down and look back. I yelled at her that I was right behind her. "For God's sake don't stop Layla!" I remember shouting. I could feel them getting closer, so I started to blindly shoot over my shoulder, hoping it somehow slowed them down. Before I knew it, we had made it outside and into a parking lot. We weren't out of the woods yet though, they were still coming and I still didn't see buses. I just hoped Layla knew where she was going. Layla hurdled a car like she had been doing parkour since age ten. I tried to match her but could only manage the worst imitation Dukes of Hazard slide in the history of man. I ducked behind the car and fired the rest of the shells off. It slowed them a little, enough to create some distance.

Layla was way ahead of me, she kept getting smaller and smaller. I was doing my best to keep up and that's when I saw it. Big, yellow, and beautiful it gleamed in the sun like a polished piece of chrome. I could hear the others shouting for me to hurry. Finally I saw them. Roxy already had her gun aimed in my direction, while Layla was huddled over trying to catch her breath. Roxy opened fire on the oncoming horde. I threw the keys at Kwame and he swiftly unlocked the bus. We all ran in as fast as we could. Roxy came in last still firing away from the doorway of the bus. Kwame fired the engine up and hit the gas. The tires squealed as we sped away. We were safe, for now at least.

"Jesus Christ Layla, did you ever like, run track or anything?" I asked still trying to catch my breath.

"No, I find athletic contests to be both barbaric and pointless," she said. I would've laughed if I wasn't so winded. I was just glad we all made it safe and sound. I was glad to be leaving this God forsaken place. I was just glad, period. It didn't matter where we went after that mess. I knew the girls were safe, and I knew what I had to do next.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to publicly address my use of the N word in this chapter. Kwame, is black. I know a decent amount of black people. I won't say all of them use that word, but a lot of them do. I just feel its accurate to the character, and so I will use it on occasion for him. Its the character, not Justin Hamm. If Tarantino can do it, I can. Oh and Kwame is my favorite character! I love him, he's hilarious. Hope his dialect doesn't throw people off. One love ya'll! - Justin Hamm.......
I took the N words out for Ashley/Jessie/Alice. So disregard that apology new readers.