Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

One For All (Jessie)

Where was that idiot Bob going? What was so important that he had to do? And why did he insist on going alone? Also why did Layla go with him? Maybe she's dumber than I thought. I liked this Roxy girl though, I was pretty sure she was serious about leaving him behind if he was late. I think we'd all feel just a little bad if he didn't come back, but it would be his own fault if he didn't. Dalton was leading the way through the school. He was talking to the one of the new people, Kwame. Kwame was the black guy Layla was telling me about, the one who never shut up. So far he was living up to that reputation.

"Hey, aren't you that new freshman point guard we got?" Dalton asked.

"Yea, I was before all this bull shit down," Kwame told him.

"I heard you were like, really good. They didn't think you'd be here more than a year before you went pro," Dalton replied.

"Shit mothahfuckah, I would have went pro right out of mothahfuckin' high school if they would have let me. Shit I'm like twenty Lebron James' mothahfuckah, believe that shit," Kwame rambled. He kept going on and on about how good he was at basketball. I stopped listening after a while, especially after he started to repeat phrases. I looked over at Roxy who just kept rolling her eyes.

"Does he do this a lot?" I asked her.

"Only all of the time," she answered.

We came to a narrow hallway, and I saw a sign that said 'Auditorium' with an arrow pointing in the direction we were headed. It looked like we were on the right track. I wasn't sure exactly how much further we had to go, but I hoped it wasn't too much longer. I wanted to get out of here, this place gave me the creeps. Most of the walls were smeared with blood, and it reeked of an odor worse than rotten eggs.

"Slim Jim?" Roxy asked me, offering me one.

"No thanks, I'm a vegan. Besides, those things are disgusting, how can you eat them?" I asked her.

"They're fucking delicious," she said, with her mouth full.

"Hey, I think I know you dude! You were in my African American studies class," one of the new guys shouted out. I wasn't sure who he was, or who he was even talking to. "Dalton right? You were that hilarious guy who made up an entire rap song about the abolition of slavery," he continued.

"Oh yea, I remember you too homey! You're Lucas, you were the guy who did that presentation about the civil rights movement and kept making cracker jokes the entire time. That shit was great!" Dalton replied.

"What the fuck you two white mothahfuckahs doin' up in African American studies? That shits for black folks only! What the fuck?" Kwame said, I couldn't tell if he was joking or actually offended, but neither Dalton or Lucas said anything after that. we continued down the hall and the other new girl, who I assumed was Riley, started to complain about how the smell in the hallway was making her sick.

"Well, I don't think any of us will be offended if you throw up," Jack told her.

"What's you're take on all this Randle? Do you think we're out of the woods yet?" One of the other new people asked.

"Who are those two?" I whispered to Roxy.

"That's Dr.Grant and Randle, those two along with that motherfucking Trevor dude and that Raven girl, who never says anything, bailed our asses out of some shit a day ago," she explained.

"I wouldn't bet the farm on it yet doc. How much longer do we have to go kid?" Randle asked Dalton.

"We still have another building to get through, then we'll be in the auditorium itself," Dalton said.

"God, this is taking forever. I just want to get out of here!" Riley shouted.

"Well, princess, if you can summon us a magic carpet or some shit we'll all be mighty thankful, until then shut the fuck up. Please?" Roxy snapped.

"Fuck you bitch!" Riley yelled back.

"Ladies! There is no need for that shit! Let's just put it aside until later! We won't make it out of here if you guys are busy ripping each others heads off," Dean said.

"Excuse me, but who the fuck are you anyway?" Riley asked.

"I'm Dean, the pleasure's all yours I assure you," Dean answered, in typical Dean fashion. "If it helps you two lovely ladies, my ass is available for staring at. I think that's something we all can agree on."

"Is he always like that?" Roxy asked me.

"Only all of the time," I replied.

Not two seconds after those words left my mouth I heard the doors of the hallway fly open behind us, and the screams of a zombie swarm, headed our way. I'm not sure what lured them to us, probably Roxy and Riley going at it. They were pretty loud, and every word in this hallway had an echo to it. Nobody said a word, we all knew what we had to do, and that was run and hope we could get away. That swarm was huge, and if I had to guess, I'd say they had been looking for us ever since the rescue. My ears were still ringing from the grenades that went off, and I wasn't even in the same room.

There was no way we were going to fight them off, and I started wondering if we would even be able to get away. If we got to the bus, it was going to take some time before Brock was able to get us in and get it started. This was just great, I thought to myself. I'm going to die because two girls I just met couldn't get along. Story of my life, but for now I was just trying to keep up with everyone else. Maybe somehow we could make it out of this alive, we had to try.

We got to the end of the hall and Randle held the doors open for everyone. Dr.Grant stopped and yelled something I couldn't quite make out. I was just busy running as fast as I could. Randle shouted something back, it sounded like he said, "Giving them what they want," but I wasn't sure. I looked back and saw Randle closing the doors, trapping himself in with the zombies. Dr. Grant locked the doors and hung his head as he caught up with us.

"Just keep going," he told everyone. It wasn't too long after that I heard two explosions. Randle must have let the zombies get close, and pulled the pins on whatever grenades he had left. It beats getting eaten alive I suppose. I didn't have time to feel sad, I just kept running until we saw another sign that said 'Auditorium.' At last, we made it, but we never would have without Randle sacrificing himself for us. Thank you Randle. We made our way out into the parking lot, and took a second to catch our breaths.

"Fuck! That was not good!" Roxy shouted.

"This is all your fault!" Riley shouted back.

"My fault?" Roxy said angered. She started to walk towards Riley. "My fault bitch!?" Jack caught her before she got there, and kept her from getting to Riley. In my opinion, Riley was lucky Jack was holding her back.

"Its nobody's fault!" Dr.Grant yelled. "You two need to stop right now! This isn't helping at all! Randle gave his life so that we could live! Not so that we could sit out here and blame each other! If you have any respect for what that man just did, you'll stop this right now! We need to stick together and work as a team if we want to survive this! Randle knew that, and he did his part. I just hope any of us can do the same when the time comes."

"Couldn't have said it any better myself," Jack added.

"Alright. I'm cool," Roxy said. "One thing though, as of right now, no more rescue missions! This shit is fucked! I didn't want to be here the first time I was here, and now that I'm back, I want to kick Bob square in his dick for making me come here again! From now on, if we find somebody, its cool, but I'm done bailing people out. That's just my opinion."

"Well, I'm glad you guys came," I told her. "But I can see what you mean."

"I didn't mean it like that" Roxy replied. "I'm sorry, I'm just fucking pissed is all. I'm glad we helped you out too. I would have felt bad if I didn't, but this whole thing is making me realize that, as much as we need each other to live, its every man and woman for themselves at the same time. I admire the shit out of what Randle just did, don't get me wrong, but from now on, we have to be just a little bit more selfish to survive."

"I get what you're saying Roxy, and I'm with you," Brock said. "I say this: This is our clan, these are the people we have to trust to stay alive. If someone else comes along, we'll let them come along for the ride, but no more going out of our way. We can't save everybody, but we can save some."

"One more thing," Roxy said. "If something happens to anyone here, and we leave you behind, you're on your own. If you can make it back to us, you'll be welcome back with open arms, but until then, you're considered dead."

"This sounds like we're making up rules," Jack replied. "I'm all for it myself, as long as everyone else is okay with it. I'd like to add one, if I may. On our way here, we met a girl named Maria. She was bitten, and it wasn't going to be long before she turned into one of these fucking things. I shot her, in the head. Not because I wanted to, but because she asked me to. I think if it comes down to that within this "clan" we need to be prepared for it."

"You're absolutely right Jack," said Dr.Grant. "I feel it should be left up to the person in question. If you'd like to be killed, then that's your choice, but if you want to go on as an infected, then you should have that option."

"Yea, you have that option, the fuck away from everyone else! I'm not taking some motherfucker who's about to turn into a motherfucking zombie!" Roxy added.

"Well, I guess that's what I was implying," Dr.Grant replied.

"Okay, well its settled, if anyone has a problem with any of this shit, speak up now or forever hold your peace," said Roxy. She looked around at everybody and nobody objected to any of it. The rules were set, and everyone knew them. Well everyone except Bob, Layla and Trevor. It didn't take Brock too long to get the door to the bus open, and we were all pleasantly surprised when he found the keys in the visor.

The bus itself was beautiful, everything a rock loving girl like myself could ever dream of. A set of bunks, a table, a refrigerator, a bathroom with running water and a TV with a Playstation 3 hooked up to it. This was by far, the way to travel. I looked at my cell phone, and checked the time. It had been about half an hour since we had left Bob. I looked at Roxy and before I could even open my mouth she already knew what I was going to say.

"Fifteen minutes, yea I know," she said. Bob better hurry if he didn't want to get left behind. I knew the rules now, but still, I'd feel terrible if Bob didn't come back. After all, I'd still be stuck in that tiny dorm and starving, if it weren't for him. Why'd he have to be such an idiot?
♠ ♠ ♠
It feels good to kill a character off. I don't know why, but it felt so right. They learned something from it and now the group has some ground rules. All in all, I feel this was a very important chapter. Trust me, these rules will come into play. Who will I kill off next? MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (Even I don't know.) Oh and why the hell do I always feel inclined to ask a question in the chapter description? I guess thats just my way of getting people to read it. (probably doesn't work) One Love! - Justin Hamm