Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

The Queen Theory (Bob)

When we finally made our way back to the square and everyone was already there waiting. I was relieved to see they hadn't lost anyone either. I could tell by the looks on their faces that they had run into some of that bastard's friends too. It didn't take long for Roxy to make her way over and give me a solid shot in the arm. I think I had a bruise the size of a grapefruit from her hitting me at this point.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"I don't know, you probably did something to fucking deserve it," she replied.

"Well, what exactly happened? Did you find him?" Jack asked.

"Well, it was more like he found us, but yea, we got him," Dalton said.

"How about you guys?" I asked. "You guys handle everything okay?"

"Yea, we had some motherfuckers try and pull some shit, but we took care of it. Nothing we can't handle at this point. Walking around in the dark fucking sucked though," Roxy said.

"Well, what's the plan now guys?" Jack asked.

"I'm finishing my shopping. Whoever wants to go with me can," Jessie said. Dalton, Riley and Kwame all left with her to explore the rest of the mall. Jack told them all to be extra careful, after all, it was hard telling how many more friends this guy had hiding. I wasn't exactly sure how all of this worked, but I had a theory that with the one dead, the rest were back to being unintelligent, rampaging carnivores. Which in all honesty was a good thing.

"So who, or what exactly was behind all of this?" Dr.Grant asked.

"It was a zombie... At least, I think it was," I replied.

"I have to say, Jessie was right. There are talking zombies, and they have some sort of control over the others," Dean explained.

"Interesting," Dr.Grant said. "Would one of you mind taking me to the body? I would really like to do some research. It would benefit our survival tactics I believe."

"I'll take you, no problem," I answered. "What kind of research do you plan on doing anyways?"

"Well, we know that this is a parasite. So I'm curious as to how some are more evolved than others," Dr.Grant explained. "I'm just a curious individual, its my nature I suppose. Oh, and Layla, I'd like you to accompany us. I need someone who has a little bit of medical training. I know you were studying to be a psychologist, so I'm guessing that you know a little about the brain and what not. You would be a huge asset to my research."

"I'd be honored," Layla replied. "I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll do my best."

"I'm going too," said Trevor.

"Dude! Why the fuck do you always have to go everywhere she goes? We get it, you wanna fuck her, but Jesus fucking Christ give her some space!" Roxy yelled. I did what I could to hide my laughter. I loved Roxy, she always said what I didn't have the guts to say. Probably why we make such a great team.

"Hey fuck you! I'm just going for something to do alright? It has nothing to do with anything you just said!" Trevor exclaimed.

"First off, watch your mouth. Say something like that again and I will fuck you up. Second, you can say whatever you want. I know your fucking type, alright? Just know, that if you hurt that girl, you will wake up half a fucking man! I swear to fucking God!" Roxy shouted. When Roxy yells at you, she makes sure you hear her, and she usually slowly gets closer to you. Like she's waiting for you to say the wrong thing, so when you do, she's within striking range. Trevor wasn't backing up though.

"Whatever," Trevor said.

"Yea, whatever the fuck ever!" Roxy replied.

"Okay enough! Both of you!" Jack yelled. "We cannot keep fighting like this!"

"Who's fighting? I'm not fighting, I'm just simply telling this motherfucker whats up," Roxy explained. The conclusion disappointed me. I wanted him to piss Roxy off just a little bit more, in fact, I would have paid to see that.

"Can we just go?" Trevor asked.

"Just waiting on you champ," I answered. After that, we started to make our way back to the room where the talking bastard's head was. How Jessie and Dalton ever found this room in the dark is beyond me. There were so many little side hallways, that it would have been difficult to find it, even with with the lights still on. When we got there, Dr.Grant didn't waste any time in getting to work.

"So what exactly are you going to do?" I asked.

"Well, I found some tools in the mall that I can use to do some impromptu surgery if needed. In this case, I think I'm going to do a little brain surgery," he explained.

"Oh fucking gross!" Trevor exclaimed.

"You're the one that wanted to come," I replied. Dr.Grant picked up the head and set it on the table. He pulled out a saw, and handed the rest of his tools to Layla.

"This black mark is extraordinary," Dr.Grant exclaimed. "Its appears that something dug that part of the skull out, and the flesh died around it. Its amazing that its in such a distinct pattern as well."

"I think Jessie said the other one had this exact same mark," Layla added.

"Well, let's find out whats behind it then, shall we?" Dr.Grant replied. He put some gloves on, then took the saw and started to cut through the top of the skull.

"This is disgusting, I can't watch this," Trevor said.

"Then don't," I told him. "Why are you here again?"

"Shut the fuck up man," he answered. Layla shushed us both and the doctor made his first cut into the skull. He then made one more cut in the opposite direction.

"Pliers," Dr.Grant said to Layla.

"That seems unorthodox," I replied. The doctor laughed at my comment.

"Well, I'm not exactly taking the delicate approach here Bob. I'm not really so much a surgeon as I am a doctor I should add," Dr.Grant explained. I just want to get the brain out so I can take a look at it."

He continued to pry the pieces of skull off and removed the brain from the head. I looked over at Trevor, who was pale white at this point. I had to do my best to hold back laughing at him. Believe me when I say, it wasn't easy. Dr.Grant set the brain on the table and began examining it.

"Well, what do you think Doc?" I asked.

"Well, I think our problem is pretty evident. Take a look at this," he said, turning the brain so I could see it. From what I could see, there was what appeared to be a centipede attached to the front of the brain. I was no doctor, but I was guessing that's what caused the black mark.

"What is it?" Layla asked.

"I wish I knew," the Doctor replied. "It must be an advanced form of the parasite."

"Maybe its the queen," I said.

"Hey! That's actually not a bad theory Bob!" Layla exclaimed.

"That actually isn't," Dr.Grant added. "In fact, that's more than likely the case. I'm not sure exactly how this parasite works, but maybe this is what they all evolve into eventually. I know they rapidly reproduce once they enter the body and they transform the host into a vessel that can easily spread them to new hosts, but this is a new discovery. Somehow this version of the parasite must have grown and evolved inside this person. Maybe this is the final stage."

"I'm not sure doctor," Layla said. "If this was the final stage, more of the zombies would have it right?" Dr.Grant stroked his chin in thought.

"Yes, I suppose you're right Layla," he said. "What's you're take on this then?"

"Well, I think Bob's queen theory is right, but I don't think the queens are in all of the zombies," Layla explained. "I think they're only in a few and the rest are just underlings. That would explain why the others follow the direction of this one. This one is the queen, therefore its the boss."

"I like her theory better doc," I said.

"It makes sense to me," Trevor added.

"Layla, your intellect is only preceded by your beauty," Dr.Grant said. "I think that's a genius theory. So how many of these do you think are queens? What exactly do you think is the ratio?"

"Well, we've encountered two out of probably thousands so far. I'm guessing its like any insect colony. Maybe around one in forty thousand or so, if I had to guess," Layla explained. Just then the centipede like parasite started to move, and fell to the floor by Dr.Grant's feet. Layla shrieked and it quickly crawled its way in front of Trevor and I. I didn't hesitate to stomp it into the ground.

"Did that thing just try and get away?" Trevor asked.

"Probably trying to find a new host," Dr.Grant answered. "Its amazing how intelligent they are. Where did these come from?"

"Well, I don't think it matters much doc," I said. "I'm just glad we have a little bit more of an understanding of the situation. Good job Layla."

"Thanks Bob," Layla replied. "You helped too."

"Ha! I was just kind of guessing," I told her.

"Well, let's go report our findings to everybody else. This is a very important key to our survival I think," Dr.Grant said. We left the room and made our way back to the square. Jessie and the others hadn't returned yet, and a few others were now missing as well. Jack was still sitting there on the fountain ledge, and looked happy to see us return.

"Well, what did you come up with?" he asked.

"Hey, could you and Bob explain this Dr.Grant? I think I'm going to go explore the mall a little bit if you don't mind," Layla said.

"Have fun," Dr.Grant replied. "Thanks for all your help."

Layla just smiled and left to finish her shopping, Trevor not far behind. I wish Roxy was here now, she would have had something to say about it for sure. Layla was definitely unique. Solving the medical mysteries one minute, and then looting stores the next. I'm just glad she didn't make me go this time. It finally appeared she could do things without me being there to protect her. That was a good sign, even though I wasn't exactly relying on Trevor to protect her.

After she left, Dr.Grant explained the whole queen theory to Jack, who didn't quite seem to get all of it, but he understood enough to know that it wasn't good. The three of us sat around and shot the shit while we waited for everyone to return. Jack and Dr.Grant were the oldest people in the group, and I've always felt more comfortable around older people. I've always felt a little older than my actual age, but maybe that's because I went bald around age twenty. For whatever reason, I've always felt much less pressure when talking to older people.

A few hours passed and one by one everyone made their way back to the square. The final tally: Jessie had eight bags worth of stuff, and Layla had five. Riley had twelve altogether, and Kwame was carrying most of them. All the guys seemed to have maybe one bag full of stuff. With the exception of Lucas and his newly found video game collection. We made our way back to the toy store we came in at. Jack and I volunteered to get the bus from where we left it, and the girls put their names on all the bags that were theirs.

"So Bob, where do you think we should stay tonight?" Jack asked me as we walked.

"I don't have any particular place in mind," I replied. "It won't be too long before its dark, and I don't know much, but I know traveling at night is probably not the greatest idea. So hopefully we find some place quick."

"Yea, you have the same theory I have on that. So, who do you think is going to fight first?" he asked. The question made me laugh. I wasn't sure if he was serious or not.

"Well, it will be either me and Trevor, or Roxy and Riley," I said.

"It looked to me like Roxy was going to throw a punch at that Trevor guy earlier to me," he replied. "Why do you think you and Trevor are going to fight?"

"Because he's a fucking asshole," I answered.

"Wait, this doesn't have anything to do with that Layla girl does it?" he asked.

"It might have a little to do with that," I replied.

"Well, I'm just going to stay out of it, but we can't have everyone brawling with each other during all of this. Its a good way to get killed," Jack explained.

"I know," I told him. "I'll do my best to keep the peace officer. By the way, are you ever going to change out of that uniform?"

"Yea, I will in the morning. I think the blood splatters on it are a good fashion statement though," he answered as he climbed into the bus. I climbed into the driver's seat and drove to pick everyone up. Everyone loaded the luggage compartment outside of the bus with their bags and then piled inside.

` "Where are we going again?" I asked.

"Florida, idiot!" Jessie exclaimed. "Just start heading South and I'm sure we'll get there eventually!" Once again, I couldn't argue with her. Nobody had a better plan, so I got back on the road and headed south. Dr.Grant took the time to explain Layla's queen theory to everyone on the bus. It was a good idea for everyone to know what was going on, so they could be prepared next time. The number one rule of survival, be prepared. At least, that was my number one rule.

"Bob and I were talking earlier and we think we need a place to stay at pretty soon," Jack said. "Its going to be getting dark soon, and the bus will be a bit too cramped for us all to sleep in."

Right after she said that I spotted something in the distance. It was on the road, and I couldn't see exactly what it was. The closer I got, the more I realized it was a truck, driving in the opposite direction that we were. I honked the horn as he passed by, and slowed the bus down to a crawl.

"What the fuck Bob?!" Roxy exclaimed.

"There was a truck that just passed! I figured we should try and, you know, recruit some more help maybe," I explained. I stopped the bus and checked the mirror. The truck was turning around and headed back in our direction.

"Well, I guess you have a point there. This isn't technically against the rules," Roxy said.

"What rules?" I asked.

"I'll explain later," she replied. "Are they turning around?"

"Yea, he is, hell maybe he knows a place to stay," I said. The truck pulled up to the side of the bus and I rolled down my window to greet him. He was a muscular guy, with gauged ears and a few other facial piercings.

"Hello there," I said.

"Umm, hi," he replied.

"Bob, you really need to learn how to talk to people without sounding totally fucking lame," Roxy told me. She leaned out the window and proceeded my conversation for me.

"What's up? We're lookin' for a place to stay at. Know of any?" she asked.

"Yea, there's a campsite a little ways up the road," the stranger answered. I was just heading to the store to get some supplies myself and then I was headed back there. Would you guys mind if I came along with you?"

"We don't give a fuck, just lead the way," Roxy said. The stranger nodded and turned his truck back around. Then he got in front of the bus, and we began following him to this campsite he spoke of.

"Is this place outside?" Riley asked. "I'm not staying outside."

"Its probably one of those places with the little cabins and shit. It mothahfuckin better be anyways," Kwame replied. "Cause if it ain't, I'ma go the fuck off!"

"Just calm down," Jack said. "If its not what we're looking for, we'll just go somewhere else."

"Can we listen to something on the way?" I asked.

"Only if its one of my CD's," Jessie said.

"You know what, I'm tired of the fucking arguing. I'll be in charge of the music from now on. You both can just fucking deal with it," Roxy scolded. Finally, one of my plans worked. I was more than happy to have her DJing the bus ride. It took maybe fifteen minutes, but we made it to the campsite. It was exactly as we had hoped, with multiple cabins and even a game room. It was basically a campground for people like me, who hated to camp. We got out of the bus and picked out the cabins we would stay in. The guy we picked up seemed as nice as they come. His outward appearance didn't exactly match his personality at all.

"Call me paranoid, but I have a bad feeling about that guy," Jack said.

"He seems alright, my guts aren't telling me he's anything to worry about," I told him.

"Well, mine are. Just keep an eye on him," he replied. There was a lake on the edge of the campground and Jack and I walked there to watch the sun set. It would be night soon, and I wasn't even tired. I wish Jack hadn't said anything about the new guy. I had a feeling it was going to be another sleepless night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this chapter explains the black marks and everything that's going on with those. At least I hope it does anyways. I don't have much else to say other than that... Oh! I would like to point out (Because I don't think I have yet) that Roxy is based HEAVILY on my sister. My sister non stop cusses and goes off on people... Her and I really do make a good team. I'd also like to add, Ashley and I had a recent Walmart trip where she kicked me in the groin, elbowed me repeatedly, and dragged me around by the collar. Oh, and we moshed to the sound of a vacuum cleaner. It was an interesting night to say the least. (Ashley is Jessie in the story if you didn't know) Okay I'm done. One love ya'll! - Justin Hamm