Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

Catching Up (Jessie)

It was three fourteen in the morning. That's what time the alarm clock on the table read when I woke up. I didn't want to be awake, but I could hear Nolan trying to hide the fact that he was crying, and I knew I had to do my best to calm him down. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy task, but I felt I had to try. Besides, we needed to head out soon anyways. I sat up, and looked over at Nolan, who was in between Dalton and I.

"Nolan, what's wrong?"

"...I'm scared."

"Its okay, Dalton and I are here. We won't let anything happen to you." Nolan stopped trying to hide his crying, and he started to let the tears loose. I held him close to me, and let him cry on my shoulder. Poor kid, this had to be hard on someone his age.

"I miss my mommy... I miss everything. Why did this happen? I just want to die!"

"Don't say that Nolan... I know how you feel. We all miss our mommies and daddies..."

What Nolan said kind of hit home a little bit. I couldn't finish what I was saying. The tears hit me, and we were both holding each other crying. After a few minutes, Dalton woke up.

"What's wrong?" he asked. I couldn't answer, I just cried harder. I realized it had finally caught up to me. Nolan reminded me of everything I had lost. I had been so caught in the moment, and the shock of everything that had been going on around me, that I never stopped to really think about it until now. I was never going to see my parents again. I was never going to see a lot of the people I loved again. Life was never going to go back to normal. You would think it would have hit me a long time ago, but it took a child to really put it all in perspective. Dalton held both of us, and Nolan and I both cried on his shoulders. I don't know how long this went on for, I didn't keep track, but eventually I made peace with everything, and it was now time to try and give Nolan that same peace.

"Listen... Things aren't ever going to be the same Nolan, but we have each other. We found you for a reason... I know I'm not your mom, and I will never try to be, but I swear... I will give my life to keep you safe."

"I will too," Dalton added. "Its going to be okay guys... I promise. We'll start over somewhere, and eventually we'll look back on everything... We'll be telling our kids what we went through. Nolan, you'll be telling your grand kids about this someday."

"I don't want to get that old," Nolan replied. Dalton and I both laughed.

"Well, no offense kid, but I'm gonna make sure you get that old," Dalton said. "We're a family now. Just wait until we get back to our friends Nolan. You'll love them."

"Oh! And there's a doggy to play with! His name's Nimel! He's nice. You guys will be good friends," I added.

"That's right! I forgot about Nimel... You know, I should have taken him with us. I was so panicked when I noticed you were missing that I didn't even think about it... I wonder how he's doing," Dalton pondered.

"He's fine, I'm sure... Probably wondering where I am. Nolan, you're in good hands okay? We won't let anything happen to you, and neither will Bob and Layla," I said.

"Bob said he'd let those bad guys eat me," Nolan replied.

"Oh, he didn't mean that. I thought he was gonna shoot me!" Dalton exclaimed. "He was just acting like a bad guy to trick them. That's how much he cares about us."

The door to our room opened, and Bob and Layla were standing there looking at all of us like we were crazy.

"Is everything okay in here guys?" Bob asked.

"Yea... We're just... Having a moment," I choked out.

"... I think I know what you mean," Bob replied. "Layla and I had our moment a while back. Before we were together... It sucks when everything catches up to you doesn't it?"

"Yea... It really does," I answered.

"Nolan... If I were you buddy, I'd be scared too, but I promise you're in good hands," Bob said.

"We were telling him that," Dalton replied.

"Well its true... We've got a good thing going here... I don't want to interrupt this moment, but maybe we should get driving pretty soon here. I think if we start driving we can gain some ground. Maybe even find them by the end of the day," Bob said.

"Nolan... Do you want to go find our friends?" I asked.

"Sure... I want to play with the dog," Nolan answered, making us all laugh again. We gathered up everything we needed and left the house. It was still dark when we set out, but it didn't take long for the sun to come out again. At some point I turned the radio on, and heard DJ Double Tap broadcasting directions for us. Jack or Roxy must have given them to him the night before. Bob drew a route on our atlas, and we knew we were on the right track. I let Bob call the station this time to let DJ Double Tap know we got the message.

The route we took was relatively trouble free. Jack had done a good job navigating us this far. We stopped once for gas, and it wasn't long before we were in Kentucky. At one point, Bob and I got into an argument about music, but now that we knew each other better, it was a lot more lighthearted. Usually we were laughing at one another in between the arguing... If you could really call it arguing. It was more like me telling Bob what was what, and him pushing my buttons. We were a few miles from the Tennessee border, and something happened to the Mustang. Everything went dead in it, and we all got out to see if there was some way we could fix it.

"Well... This sucks," Dalton said. "Yet another car we've killed."

"Yea... Jessie, what's the verdict? Can you fix it?" Bob asked.

"What!? No! I don't know how to fix it! I don't even know what's wrong with it!" I answered.

"So wait a second... You know cars... And yet you don't know a thing about cars... Do I have that right?" Bob asked.

"Yes Bob, I love cars, but I don't know how to fix them! Do you know how to fix them!?" I shouted.

"...No. I don't really know anything about them either," Bob replied.

"Then shut up!" I yelled. "Layla, you're the smart one. Do you know anything about cars?"

"Nope, never been interested. If we had a book on them, I could learn pretty quick I'm sure," Layla answered.

"Well that's not really helping us now is it?" Dalton said. "Looks like we're walking the rest of the way."

With that, we all started our long hike down the road, carrying way more than was comfortable. All the guns, and weapons, and other stuff we had was going to make this walk very tiring. It was a vacant road in the mountains. One of those winding mountain roads, with no signs of life, and guard rails on the sides that couldn't save anyone from falling to their death. We had been walking a few hours, and Dalton spotted something in the distance.

"Does anyone else see that? It looks like somebody's headed this way."

"I see it. Everybody get ready, its more than likely not friendly," Bob said. We all got our weapons ready, and prepared for the worst. Whoever, or whatever it was wasn't running at us yet, which I took as a good sign. The closer it got, the more worried I became, and I remembered a pair of binoculars Dalton found in one of the houses we were at. I dug through his back pack and found them. I took a look, and my jaw almost dropped to the floor. It was Trevor.

"Hey! Its Trevor!... Should we be glad about this?" I asked.

"Oh fu... fudge," Bob replied.

"What's wrong Bob? He's on our side... Right? Or did something happen that you failed to mention?" I asked.

"Uh, Jessie... Bob beat the shit out of that guy before we left," Dalton answered. "This... May not be pretty at all."

"Bob! What happened!? You need to tell me right now!" Layla shouted.

"Layla... He said some things that didn't sit well with me... I lost it... I'm sorry," Bob said.

"He was only defending you Layla. If someone would have said what he said about Jessie, I might have done the same... Its a guy thing," Dalton replied in Bob's defense.

"What did he say?" I asked.

"I'd tell you, but there's a kid around Jessie," Bob said. I noticed Trevor's hand was bleeding, and the look on his face was... different. Something wasn't right about this.

"He doesn't look like himself," I said. "Somethings wrong."

"Its time for round two I guess," Bob replied.

"No! Robert James Faust! I forbid it! You are not fighting anyone! I'll reason with him! I'll make this right!" Layla shouted.

"I don't want to fight Layla... I really don't... But... I don't know if there's any getting out of this," Bob said. Trevor was close enough to where we could all see him. He didn't say anything. He didn't even acknowledge us. He was just focused straight ahead. Glaring right at Bob.

"Trevor! Stop! We're going to settle this now! Look, I'm sorry I..." Layla didn't get to finish what she was saying before Trevor was at a full blown sprint at Bob. He tackled him to the ground hard, and I seen the blood fly out of Bob's mouth. Trevor's shoulder had hit Bob right in his ribs, and Layla and I both were shouting at Trevor to stop. I looked at Trevor's hand, it was scrapped to the bone nearly, and connected to the other was a pair of handcuffs. What had happened while we were gone? Bob was doing what he could to hold Trevor off, and I shouted at Dalton to break them up.

Dalton grabbed Trevor, and tried to get him off, but he wouldn't budge. I couldn't tell what was going on, but it all sunk in when Bob finally caught his breath.

"Jesus fuck! He's fucking turned! Somebody kill the motherfucker!" Bob screamed. Layla didn't waste any time in taking a swing at Trevor. She hit him flush on the head, and Trevor rolled across the pavement. Bob got up, and Dalton went over to put his foot on top of Trevor. We all gathered around him, and finally saw the truth of what Trevor had become. Bob was right, his eyes were dead, and a cascade of blood was flowing from out of his mouth. Trevor was a zombie.

"Bob, are you okay!? He didn't bite you did he!? You didn't get any blood in your eyes or anything like that!? Please tell me you didn't!" Layla shouted. Bob spit up some more blood, and took as deep a breath as he could.

"...That fucking hurt," He said, breathing hard, and falling down to one knee. "...But I'll be okay. He didn't bite me or anything like that. I'm good... But somebody kill him... Please just kill the bastard."

Dalton went to take his sword out, but Layla stopped him before he could.

"I'll do it," she said positioning herself to finish the job. "Trevor... I'm sorry if I led you on... But I'm also sorry you weren't the person I thought you were. I realized it was all an act too late. I'm with Bob now, and I'm happy... I'm sorry it had to be this way."

Trevor let out one inhumane scream before Layla smashed his head in with Bob's old bat. There was a moment of silence and relief among us. I could tell Layla and Bob were at peace with the entire incident now. In all honesty, that was probably the best thing that could have happened. I'm lying if I say I didn't think Trevor got what he deserved. I wasn't sad about what happened at all. Layla helped Bob up, and made sure he was alright. Bob took a little while to get back to normal, but after a few minutes, we were ready to continue our journey. We knew we had to be close now, but the Trevor incident had me worried. I just hoped he was the only one like that.

"Was that one of your friends?" Nolan asked, still a bit stunned by the entire incident.

"Well... He was more of a... Rival... Like in Ben 10... He would be like, my Kevin 11," Bob explained.

"Oh, I get it now," Nolan replied.

"How do you know so much about that cartoon?" I asked.

"I used to watch it before work every morning. Somehow I got into it... Its a good show," Bob answered.

"I love that show," Nolan added.

"Bob... I really don't even know what to say," I said. "You are... A total dork."

"Thank you," Bob replied. "Nolan! Jessie said we're dorks!"

"I didn't say he was! I said you were! You're the twenty something watching Ben 10!" I shouted.

"Hey!... Ah, I know... I won't even lie about it. Hey Nolan, how is Alien Force? I never got to watch that one," Bob added. The remainder of the walk was filled with Bob and Nolan talking about their favorite parts of Ben 10. The three of us couldn't help but laugh at Bob though. Its one thing to watch it, but he really payed attention to it. It entertained us, and it helped make the time pass. It wasn't too long before I seen it in the distance. It was just as beautiful as I remembered it.

"The bus!" I shouted. "We found them!"

None of us could contain our excitement, and we ran as fast as we could to the house it was parked in front of. We were all out of breath when we got onto the front porch.

"Do we just walk in?" Dalton asked.

"I say we ring the doorbell," Bob replied. "That way we don't surprise them and get shot at... Roxy has an itchy trigger finger sometimes, I learned that the first time I met her."

Layla rang the doorbell, and we all waited in anticipation of who would answer. It didn't take long before Kwame opened the door, and out of sheer joy, Layla started hugging the life out of him.

"God damn girl! Good to see you too!" he said. "Bob! Dalton! Jessie! What the fuck's up wit cha'll mothahfuckahs!?"

"Kwame! Watch your mouth! There's a kid!" I scolded.

"Oh shit? Hey, what's up young pimp? How you doin? I'm Kwame."

"Kwame... You haven't changed one bit," Layla said as she let him go.

"Shit, Kwame Watts does his damn thing girl. So what's up? I heard you hooked up with old dude! Trevor's bitch ass is out in the bus, we think he's bout to turn into a zombie or some shit."

"Uh, actually Kwame... He kind of already turned into a zombie, and tried to kill Bob. He must have gotten out of the bus some how," Dalton explained.

"Oh shit!? That mothahfuckah got out!? No wonder you lookin' like you just got fucked up Bob! Damn... So ya'll killed him?" Kwame asked.

"Yea, he's dead now," Layla answered.

"Good! Fuck that mothahfuckah! He was trippin' and shit! I fucked with that mothahfuckah all the way here! Bitch ass mothahfuckah! Can't fuck with me! I'da fuck that mothahfuckah up! Mothahfuckah was all pullin' guns on mothahfuckahs and shit!"

"Kwame... Why even try? Nolan, don't ever talk like Kwame... Ever. He's a bad influence," I said. As soon as I walked inside, and I saw Jack, I had to go give him a hug. I was really glad to see he was still alive.

"Hey kid, how are ya?" Jack asked as I squeezed him as hard as I could.

"I'm happy Jack! Its so good to see you guys! All of you guys!" I shouted. Nimel came running up and gave me a big kiss on the cheek. It felt good to see him again. I introduced Nolan to Nimel, and the two of them were quick friends.

Roxy spotted Bob, and started to make her way over to him. I could tell by the look on Bob's face, he was a bit nervous.

"Okay... Roxy, I know you're going to hit me, so can I make one request? Not in the ribs, they're broken and..." Roxy didn't give Bob a chance to finish his request, she had her arms wrapped around him, crying her eyes out.

"Shut up!" Roxy shouted. "You fucking asshole! Don't ever do that to me again!"

Roxy let go of Bob and punched him hard in the arm. Bob held his bicep in pain, and we all laughed a little bit. Roxy hugged Bob again.

"Sorry Roxy... But... It all worked out... Just like you said it would," Bob told her, a little choked up. "Thanks for everything."

"I knew it would, and you're welcome" Roxy replied, wiping a tear from her eye. "Anytime you need me bro, I'm here... Hi Layla, its... Ah come her you bitch!"

Roxy rushed over to Layla and they both started hugging. It was a happy reunion for all of us. We all spent some time catching up, and telling stories about what happened. We learned about the zombie bear, and the zombie dog. How Dylan took the bus, and Roxy punched her out. How Trevor held Aiden up at gunpoint, and turned into a zombie from a mosquito bite. We then told them our epic tale of what happened. The graveyard fight, which Dalton and Bob failed to tell us before, the heroin, the acid, the rescue, the wedding, the stairway, and the thieves, all of it was told. When we finally got finished telling each other what they missed, it was dark, and everyone seemed ready for bed.

"Oh! Before I forget, we have something we'd like to tell you guys," Jack said. "Well, more or less just Jessie and Bob, but it effects us all."

"Shit, I almost forgot about that shit Jack," Roxy added.

"Well, then its a good thing I'm around," Jack joked. "Jessie, Bob, While you were gone, Aiden came up with a good idea. This group needs a leader, actually, it needs two. We voted, and you two are those leaders. Roxy and I were filling your shoes while you were gone, but we all think you two are perfect for it. Bob is a level headed guy, who always seems to know what to do. Jessie, you're the same way. But its what makes you different from one another that we think you'd be great. We think you'll balance each other out, and do what's right for this family of ours. Because that's what we are, a family."

"Jack... You're way more fit to be a leader than I am! You got us out of the city! We'd be dead if it weren't for you!" I argued.

"No Jessie, you'd be fine. How many times did I screw up during that whole thing? I took you on that suicide mission to the police station..."

"I'm still wondering what the fuck you were thinking there," Dean snapped.

"Exactly!" Jack replied. "I abandoned you when we were getting chased by a swarm in the city! You're the genius who hid in the dumpster, and managed to stay alive long enough for us to find you! You're almost always right about things, and I'd be happy to serve under you. I'll always be there to help you when you're in trouble. Surviving is all our jobs, but we need people to make the big decisions, and that's where you two come in."

"Jessie, he's right. You and Bob are really the best choices for it. You both kept us alive when it was just the four of us," Dalton said.

"Why do I have to be teamed up with that idiot though!?" I protested.

"Jessie, you know we kicked a lot of the ass on those stairs. We make a good team. I see what they're saying, you and I together are perfect. I'll be there to give my opinion, and you'll always be there to call me an idiot and point out why I'm wrong. We're perfect just because you'll always try to prove me wrong. It means when I do something right, I really do something right," Bob explained.

"Why can't it be me and Dalton?" I asked.

"I don't want anything to do with being a leader Jessie," Dalton replied. "But I'll always be there for you when you need help."

"Jessie, I don't want to be a leader either," Bob said. "But I don't think any of us do... But they want us to do it... I think we should. What do you say?"

"... Fine! But you have to listen to me!" I shouted.

"When have I not listened to you Jessie? You almost always win our arguments," Bob replied.

"Good point. Okay, maybe you're right Bob, maybe this will work," I said.

"It will, I can already tell," Layla added. "We'll all help you too. Don't worry, you guys aren't alone."

"I can see it too," Roxy said. "These guys will fucking beast this shit!... Well, I'm tired. I'm going to bed."

"Me too, everyone else seems like they're already asleep," Jack replied.

"Yea, I'm worn out from the trip. You coming Jessie?" Dalton asked.

"Actually, I'm pretty awake. I think I'm gonna stay up a little while," I answered. Dalton kissed me on the cheek and left the room.

"Bob, are you coming to bed with me?" Layla asked.

"No! He's not Layla! He's gonna stay up and entertain me!" I shouted causing Layla to laugh.

"I guess I'm gonna stay up and entertain Jessie," Bob said.

"Okay, well don't stay up to late... I might still be up when you get in bed," Layla replied as she kissed Bob on the head and left the room. It was just me and Bob now. I felt we needed to get a few things straight.

"So its me and you Jessie... I guess these guy's are crazy enough to leave us in charge."

"Well, they're crazy enough to leave you in charge."

"Ha! Yea, yea, yea, I should have seen that coming I guess."

"Yes you should have... This is a lot of pressure isn't it? I'm still not sure I like this."

"I don't like it as much as you do. We have to mentally prepare for things right now. In fact, let's do that Jessie, what do you say?"

"What are you even talking about?"

"Okay, I'll try to explain it. Let's say you and I make a decision, and we both agree on it. Then that decision gets somebody killed. We have to be ready for that. We have to be ready to live with ourselves if that happens."

"Why did you have to tell me that? I don't want to think about it!"

"Neither do I! But it could happen... So... How do we handle it?"

"I don't know... I really don't know... I might cry."

"I might cry too... But we have to be strong Jessie! We have to be the examples. All of these people are going to be watching us. Depending on us! We need to look strong! We need to be ready for anything. If people see us panicking, they'll panic. We effect the entire morale of the group Jessie, for better or worse."

"I think I get what you're saying... Bob... I don't like this."

"Well, like it or not, it happened... Its not my favorite thing either... We'll be fine Jessie. The two of us are... I don't know, we''re pretty bad ass."

"Well I am, I don't know about you."

"You know, I should've seen that coming... But seriously dude, we'll make a good duo. We have the best advisers in the world too. You have Dalton, and I have Layla, and they won't let us fuck up. Neither will anyone else. So... What do you say?... Partners?"

"Okay Bob... Partners."

Bob and I stayed up and talked another hour or two. We didn't talk about anything important after that. It was mostly just random subjects that both of us came up with. The more Bob and I talked, the more we found we had in common. As opposite as we were, we both agreed on more than one thing. Maybe Bob was right... Maybe we would make a good team. This really could work.

"Well, I'm going to bed Jessie," Bob said.

"You big baby!... If Layla is still up... Just keep it down okay? There's people and a kid here," I replied.

"Ha! Hey, she's the..."

"I don't want to know Bob! Goodnight!"

"Goodnight Jessie"

The next morning, we all gathered in the living room and went over our route to Florida. We asked Riley where they usually left from. She couldn't remember what it was called, but she knew it was on the southernmost tip of Florida. The island was called Maginot Island. Named after the man who owned it, John Maginot. It was a private island, that her father rented from time to time to get away from it all. From what she described, it sounded like the perfect place. We plotted a course, and got back on the road, a group... No, a family once more. We were almost there, just a few more states to go and we were home free.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this chapter is pretty epic I think. They found the rest of them. HOORAY! (You knew it would happen.) Trevor got his. (you knew it would happen.) Gotta love the Ben 10 references. Only me! Only Justin Hamm would do that!... Its true, I do watch that show. I know all about Kevin 11, and the first time I saw him, I tried to think of other names that rhymed with numbers. Nate 8 in this bitch! (That's all I could thing of) Bob and Jessie are officially runnin shit! Huh, what else? I think two or three more chapters will be the end. We've come a long way. (Did you enjoy the references to the beginning?) I think that's it for the story stuff. Hope you all like it. Now for the outside the story stuff. Ashley/Jessie/Alice found her real life Dalton, and she's happy as hell about it! I'm happy for her!... Dear Ashley/Jessie/Alice's boyfriend (Max correct?)... Please don't hate me for writing the Dalton character. I hope you're like him, and don't want to destroy my being for writing this.... I write this in case you ever read it. I base the character on everything she wants in a guy. I know her very well... Oh, and don't hurt her either... You'll have to deal with me... I mean no offense by that. Just saying. She's like my sister... I know she's gonna kill me for writing this. I feel like the dad with the shotgun on his lap right now. Anyways! I trust you sir! Be good to her and give me some good writing ideas! I look forward to meeting you... don't be offended. I mean that with the BEST intentions. That goes for you too Ms. Sanders! Don't hate me! Now... I need to find my fucking Layla! Ha ha! Okay, next up! LEXA! MY HOMEY AND HOPEFULLY FUTURE ROOMMATE! I fucking love you! You're the best! I hope you enjoyed the chapter most of all. Why? Because you're its number one fan! And if people aren't reading your stuff! I'll send... Laser alligators after them!... I need to work on that. RANDY! I know it will be forever until you read this, because the story scares you, but you're the greatest too!... Wow! That was an epic author's note wasn't it!? Lets recap, I went over the highlights, I sent a hopefully positive message to Ashley/Jessie/Alice's Dalton and her, I gave a shout out to the two greatest people on Mibba ever! (And outside of Mibba too. I'm sure. They're the best! I both love and brain them. They make me a happy Eve!) and then recapped the author's note... I'm the shit! Okay I'm done. (Notice how the notes get longer the more I write the story? The first one was so short!) ONE LOVE YA'LL!!!! - Justin Hamm