Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

Where's A Cop When You Need One? (Jessie)

As soon as I walked in the station, a foul odor hit me right in the face. It made me gag it was so strong. I wasn't sure what it was, but it smelled like a skunk had been eating rancid meat and then got a bad case of diarrhea. Yes, it was that bad. Dean couldn't stop gagging, and by the look on his face, I thought for sure he'd throw up. The smell didn't seem to phase Jack any, maybe it was something he was used to. Maybe this is how the police station always smelled, I had to know.

"Is this how this place always smells?" I asked, forgetting about the silent treatment.

"No, something is definitely wrong here." Jack replied.

The station was laid out quite nicely. There was a check in desk, and a nice double stairway that led to a balcony on the next floor. It looked very modern compared to some of the other police stations I had seen around town. It didn't take long before we heard a roar in the distance.

"What the fuck was that?" cried Dean.

"What do you think it was?" Jack responded.

"We need to leave! This isn't worth it! What are we even going to find here? Nobody's alive here! Let's just go!" Dean pleaded with Jack. You could tell in the tone of his voice he was scared. He sounded like a kid in line for a haunted house that his parents made him go to. I have to admit, I didn't totally disagree with him. This wasn't a good place to be.

"No, we're going in. Somebody has to still be alive, and even if they aren't, I'm heading to the weapons locker. I'll get enough stuff to where we can handle anything." Jack went to say something else, but before the words even left his mouth there was the loud sound of a gun being fired. I looked up and saw a zombie armed with a pistol. I'm not sure if he was aiming at us or not. It didn't matter, Jack drew his gun and shot him twice. The second shot made him fly back where he hit a wall, then the rebound sent him over the rail of the balcony and onto the floor in front of us.

"Holy fuck! Did that thing just shoot at us?" Dean yelled out. "I don't know, if it did, it had piss poor aim." Jack said in reply.

"This is so fucked!" Dean screamed. Just then we heard more screams, and more roars. This time they were getting closer and louder. It wasn't going to be long before they were right next to us.

"Follow me!" Jack yelled and he ran into the next room, with his gun drawn. He was in commando mode now. Dean and I rushed in behind him, Nimel not far behind. There was nothing in the room, Jack yelled "Clear!" and made his way to the side of the doorway to the next room, his back pressed up against the wall. Dean and I followed his example and did the same. Jack tossed Dean his night stick.

"If anything gets close, take care of it," he told him.

"What about me? Don't I get anything?" I asked.

"You just stay close, and you'll be fine. Here, use this as a leash on that dog. I can't have him running into a room and getting us all killed." He tossed me an extension cord that was sitting the table in front of us. I tied it around Nimel, and Jack gave us more instructions.

"I'm going to count to three," he said. "Then I'm going to charge in."

"Wait, where the fuck are we even going?" Dean asked rudely.

"This is the back way, there's another staircase just down this hall. I don't know what we'll be up against, but we're going to make a dash for the back. Just follow me and you'll be fine. Stick to me like there's a magnet on your dick and my ass," he said.

"I don't have one of those," I joked.

"You know what I mean," Jack snapped back. Jack checked his clip and counted the bullets he had left. I could tell by the look on his face, it wasn't enough. "On three, we run." The countdown started, and my heart jumped into my throat. I could feel every beat it took in between the seconds. The count ended and we rushed in. The run down the hall was a complete blur. I just ran as fast as I could, trying my best to keep up. Nimel was faster than me and kept dragging me, I almost tripped once or twice, but we made it to the stairs with no problems.

The staircase was a spiral one, which made it impossible to see what was at the top of it. I heard a few more screams from behind us, the zombies were gaining ground, and we all could feel it. Not to mention the ones who were in the side rooms we just ran past were starting to bust through the windows of the offices. Jack started up the stairs, and we followed him. There was a zombie waiting at the top, a big one. He was definitely the cop who had eaten way too many doughnuts. Jack beat him to the top and threw a front kick that knocked him back, then shot him twice in the head. More of them came pouring out of the offices. The sounds of glass breaking and horrifying screams flooded the hall.

"This way!" shouted Jack, as he ran to the end of the hall. He threw open a door and we ran inside. Jack locked it behind us, and rushed over to unlock one of the lockers. Inside was a riot shield, grenades of some kind, two shotguns, three pistols and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo. I stuffed as much of it as I could into my bag and grabbed a pistol. I hoped I wouldn't have to use it, but it was good to have just in case. We all stocked up on what we thought we needed and Jack began to prep us for our next move. He was nearly shouting over the banging on the door.

"There's an elevator right next to this room. That's where we're going. It leads to the holding cells, and the back way out. Just follow me," he said with confidence.

"That sounds great and all Jack, but how are we going to get through there?" I asked him.

"Just leave that to me," he said picking up the riot shield. "Stay behind me at all times, in fact both of you grab a shoulder." We did as he said and got ready for a fight. I had one hand on his shoulder and the other on the pistol I just picked up. Like I said, just in case. "On three, just like last time, they're gonna come in fast. So be ready!" Jack commanded.

The countdown went a little quicker than last time, maybe it was because Jack was gaining confidence as he went, or maybe it was because he wasn't sure if we were going to make it out of this one. I'll never know which, but when he swung the door open, he charged immediately and cut them off at the doorway with the shield. He started opening fire with the shotgun over the top of it, which started to knock back the horde. After a few shots, he stopped to reload. Another wave charged in, it took every bit of strength Dean and I had to help hold them back. Nimel barked with every shot Jack fired. I could tell, he was scared too.

A few more shots and we finally made it past the door. Jack turned the shield to face the remaining zombies. He slowly backed toward the elevator door. Still firing with every sign of movement. Finally, our backs hit the wall.

"I'm going to reload again! Dean! Fire at whatever moves! Jessie! Press the arrow going down!" Jack screamed. I did as I was told and pounded the button. Dean fired a few nervous shots at the remaining few zombies that were approaching. It seemed like forever before the elevator doors opened.

We backed inside, and Jack blocked the door with the shield. Two zombies charged full speed at us, intent on getting to us. Almost like they knew this was their last chance. Jack got one with a shotgun blast to the head, but the other hit the shield full force. The impact knocked me down and my head slammed against the wall. Jack managed to get a shot off, fully decapitating the zombie. The elevator doors closed and I slowly got to my feet.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked. "That was a hell of a bump."

"I'm fine," I said. "I've taken worse, trust me."

"Good. You guys have done great so far, but we're not out of this yet. Just a little bit further and the garage is right up ahead. We'll take my car. My actual car, its parked out there. From there, we need to get the hell out of this city," Jack said. He was right, this city was anything but safe. We had to find a way out of it. Jack slammed the emergency stop on the elevator. I noticed the music, it was an elevator music version of a Train song. I didn't know they made elevator music versions of Train songs. Jack turned and pointed the shield toward the door, then pressed the button again, starting the elevator back up. Within seconds we were at our destination.

The doors slide open, and we headed down the hall. It was quiet, and that made me even more nervous. Jack went behind a booth and pressed a button, which unlocked the doors to the cells.

"This isn't the way." he said. But I want to see if there's anyone alive in here. If they were smart, they'd lock themselves in here. At least that's what I'd do." As soon as the doors opened the screams started. We walked down the halls, following Jack the whole way. I started thinking about how pointless this was. There wasn't anyone left here, how could there be? That little lack of focus was just enough for a zombie in one of the cells to run up and grab my shirt through the bars.

"Fuck!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Nimel started barking and Dean pulled me back, but not before the zombie tore part of my sleeve off. I pulled out my pistol and aimed it at the one who did it.

"Don't shoot him!" Jack yelled. "I think that's what keeps drawing them to us. I think its all the noise, we have to keep things quiet from here on out. But if it makes you feel any better." Jack pulled out a little thing with a ball at the end of it. With a flick of his wrist, it extended. He swung it and landed a blow right on the top of the zombie's skull. It looked like a killing blow. "That's what you get!" I yelled and we continued down the hall.

"Jess, I think that's the first time I ever heard you cuss. In fact, I'm willing to bet that's the first time you ever have cussed. Am I right?" Dean asked with a smile on his face.

"I was scared! Okay? That's the last time you'll ever hear me cuss too!" I shouted back. "Enjoy it while you can. Idiot."

I was even a little surprised I let an F bomb slip. This was a stressful situation however, and it was kind of a relief to get that moment of weakness out of me. I had to stay strong though, I couldn't let that happen again. No more losing focus like that, and no more cussing. That was the last time. I knew I was better than that.

At the very end of the hall there was a group of cops, turned zombie, trying desperately to get into one cells. Jack rushed in with whatever that extendable thing was, and went to work on the three of them. He made short work of them. It was an impressive sight I'll admit. I was glad he was on my side. A voice came from behind the bars.

"Oh thank fucking God! I thought I was gonna die in here!" it said.

"Why are you in here? What's you're story?" Jack questioned.

"I got put in here over night. I was a little wasted last night and I had gotten into a fight with a few assholes over a girl. I swear I'm not a killer or a rapist or anything! Please, you gotta help me!" he begged.

Jack grabbed the keys off of one of the dead cop's belt, and unlocked the cell. "Thank you! I promise you won't regret this. I'm Brock, it's nice to meet all of you."

"Okay Brock, we'll make time for introductions later, right now we need to get out of here. Everyone, this way!" Jack gave the word and we were off, back down the hall. I stayed focused this time and made sure none of the outstretched hands from behind the cells could get to me. I wouldn't make that mistake twice. We finally made it out of the station and into the parking garage. It felt like I could finally breath again. I wanted to kiss the ground, but I held back. I knew it wasn't over, but I had never been so glad to be alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter a lot. I didn't even mean to write all of it, but I started going at eleven or so and just couldn't stop. I hope Ashley can forgive me for making her girl cuss. Oh, few things I'm supposed to mention. Dean is supposed to look like Jarod Leto, and the new guy, Brock, is supposed to look like Adam Lambert. Again, as I said before, you can envision them any way you want. This is just how we have them envisioned I suppose. Hope you enjoyed it. - Justin Hamm