Wolf

2: Secrecy

Keegan sighed as he held in a yawn. He rubbed at his wrist unconsciously glancing down to see the mark the demon had left mostly faded. In only a few more days it would be completely gone he guessed though it had taken nearly two weeks to heal to the point that it was. When he moved wrong he could still feel the cuts along his hips, the fabric of his breeches rubbing and keeping the cuts for healing. He suspected part of it was the demon as well.

The only good that had come of it was that he’d been indefinitely taken off guard duty. Micah nearly stabbed anyone who even dared to suggest that he return to the field where the prisoners were currently kept. In only another week at most they would be home though and for that Keegan was grateful. He longed for the warmth he and Micah’s small home provided and the smell of fresh bread that always drifted in when their neighbor’s daughter cooked. Not long after their arrival at home Keegan suspected that Micah and her would be engaged.

Keegan. He shivered as the voice echoed through his mind. Determined to ignore it he turned slightly from where he sat on the ground, staring up at the sun and focusing on home. The voice was unforgettable, unmistakable. He hated the rush that shot through him because of it.

Keegan. You cannot ignore me. The voice was dark but amused and Keegan assumed it was better than Wolf sounding angry. He’d heard the demon a few times in the past two weeks, usually just little comments that frightened him as much as they made him want. In the last two days however they’d been more frequent and demanding. Guard duty tonight is yours to take. I’d suggest you listen.

Guard duty. He wanted to accept but the chances of him being able to smoothly convince Micah was nearly nonexistent. Nonetheless he went to find his brother only to hear him arguing with one of the other men who was insisting his friend was too ill to take over and he had done it the previous night. Keegan had little doubt that Wolf had ensure the man wouldn’t be feeling quite up to it but he was surprised the man hadn’t been killed instead.

“I’ll do it,” Keegan said and Micah gave him a dark glare.

“You won’t. You still aren’t even fully healed Keegan! I don’t-“

“We haven’t had trouble since that night and that was many miles away Micah. Let him do it just for tonight.”

“The demon was sent by the king. Keegan even told us that! He’s probably following us so he can make good on his deal. I…” Keegan felt his mind slipping away as an image of the demon intruded. His eyes, amber this time, were lazy and unconcerned but he was smirking. The king means little to me. I have no need of his money and he has no control over me. Tell him that Keegan. Tell him!

“The demon didn’t care much for the king’s orders Micah. He didn’t even bother to take the prisoners.” Micah looked at Keegan, shaking his head.

“Don’t make me send you out their Kee. You could get hurt.”

“You’ll come if I need you. Don’t worry,” Keegan assured him, triumphant when Micah reluctantly nodded.

Just after dark Keegan pulled himself onto a small hill that overlooked the entirety of the field and sat down, waiting. He’d been there for hardly a few minutes when he felt a presence behind him. Out if instinct he turned around and flinched when he saw Wolf standing there.

“What do you want from me?” he asked, glaring at the demon. His last encounter had left him bolder.

“Only your self-destruction darling,” he said in a deceptively gentle voice, “well that and a little fun for the night.” Keegan kept his eyes hard, stubbornly refusing the demon. “Come here Keegan,” he ordered quietly, holding out a long-fingered hand. Even in the darkness he could see the long nails there. “Or just stand there then,” he said with a careless laugh.

Wolf shrugged and Keegan hesitated, unsure of if he was being tricked. He seemed oblivious to Keegan however as he allowed his fingers to wander over the front of his pants, pressing down and palming himself. He continued the motion a few times before sliding his hand beneath his breeches. Keegan watched, spellbound, as he tilted his head back and let out a quiet moan and sped up his motions. With his eyes closed and so completely vulnerable Keegan felt the dagger at his waist grow a little heavier, the knowledge that he should be using it haunting him until Wolf’s eyes opened.

“Try it, I dare you,” he hissed out, eyes meeting Keegan’s. His eyes were nearly black with only small rings of amber around them. “Or come have a little fun with me. Come on Keegan. If you want to feel less guilty I can help with that. Come here or I’ll kill your brother.” Keegan stepped forward before moving so quickly to Wolf that he nearly tripped. Later he would tell himself that it was only fear for his brother that made him move so quickly. “Good boy.”

“Keegan?” He started in surprise, turning to see Micah there. The sun had only just risen and he’d been waiting for someone to come tell him he needed to go pack his supplies before he headed back. “You look exhausted.”

“Long night,” he answered vaguely, shrugging. Micah nodded before he frowned and Keegan tensed. “What?”

“Your arm, it looks bruised. Did something happen?”

“I just tripped on my way here last night,” he lied smoothly and Micah allowed it. “Time to go?”

“Yeah. Yeah come on,” Micah agreed, offering a hand to Keegan so he could pull himself onto Micah’s horse as well. The movement made him wince and he sighed, knowing a day on horseback certainly wasn’t going to help his pain any.
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah, this has turned into a short story (probably only another 2-4 chapters really). I kept thinking about my little adrenaline-junkie Keegan and well, yeah.