Wolf

4: Possession

Keegan yawned as he stretched. It was still early morning and he had no reason to be up but something had woken him. He wasn’t entirely sure what it was until he heard a voice that seemed to cut through his very soul. It spoke to him, demanding he come to the water.

“I will not go. Wolf told me not to,” he said forcefully though he was sure to be quiet so as not to wake Micah from where he slept mere feet away. Their shared bedroom was small and it would be easy to overhear something.

Now. You will come. Though he tried to resist Keegan found himself standing silently, the wood of the floor cold on his feet. A small draft blew through the small room, icy on his bare chest. Even when he pulled on a loose tunic and pants it still seemed to go straight through the fabric. He would have to get that patched up later, when, when Micah could help.

He made his way silently from the house, unable to stop himself. Multiple times he’d reached out to try and hit something, anything, to wake Micah and stop himself but he couldn’t. His arms refused to obey him as he snuck from the house. The walk to the water was cold, only becoming colder by the lake with the wind blowing off of it. My boy, come to me. I will make you fly higher than your demon ever could.

“No,” Keegan pleaded quietly, purposefully falling to the ground. He fought desperately as his limbs rebelled against him, trying to force him to walk forward. He fought it, keeping his mind trained on Wolf. With the demon’s image in his mind Keegan found it easier to resist the calling. He shuddered at the cold wind as he dug his hand into the cold dirt, small rocks wedging themselves painfully beneath his nails. As he felt that pain shock him his thoughts became clearer. Desperate, he leapt to his feet and began to rush back towards the house. By now the sun was high, mid-morning, and he still felt no warmth from it.

When his legs attempted to turn back for the pond he forced himself forward so that he could just grasp a small stick with his fingers. He yanked it back to himself in terror, bringing the blunted end to his hand. It wasn’t enough, he realized, and instead grabbed a small rock that was next to him on the edge of the lake. He chipped at the stick, desperate and allowing his mind to be filled entirely with his task so he could not be forced forward. Even if he could not walk away, he could at least prevent himself going forward.

Keegan frowned, wondering where Micah was. Why hadn’t he come looking for him yet? Feeling abandoned he whimpered, feeling his ability to resist that which called him falter. As his resolve slipped he cursed, bringing the now jagged edge of the old stick to his hand. He scrapped the wood over his palm, relieved when the pain cleared his mind briefly. In desperation he found himself using the pain to ignore the voice. He had to hold out until nightfall, when Wolf would return. When the demon came near, he could call to him. He could get help. Until then Keegan resigned himself to rubbing the rough bark on the stick against his tender wrist until it was raw, and then moving to the other.

When the stick no longer seemed to do enough damage he reached for the rock once more. He beat at his wrist with the slightly protruding corner as best he could. Though he tried not to submit he felt himself struggling back to his feet to moving forward, closing the last few lengths that would take him into the lake. The voice changed suddenly, its alluring quality suddenly murderous and triumphant as Keegan’s foot almost touched the water. His hand shook as he brought the little grey rock to the demon mark on his wrist, pressing down hard as he carved at it desperately, making a last ditch effort to save himself.

The movement suddenly sent him reeling and he fell to his knees. He just missed the lake water. If he leaned forward even slightly he would have been taken. Instead he found himself burning in agony, screaming and unable to stop himself. He clutched at the mark, expecting blood to be coming from it but saw nothing. Keegan was nearly positive he could feel the mark poisoning him, cutting down to his very core. He could not imagine worse pain as he feel onto his back, writhing in the torturous throes of agony. Even as he tried to stop he could feel his other hand still using the rock to slice at the brand, unrelenting.

“Keegan! Keegan stop! You have to stop, please.” Keegan groaned, forcing his eyes open and shuddering at the sudden wave of nausea that joined the pain. Eyes the color of amber were glaring into his own and a cold hand was grasping at his wrist even as he was drug backwards, away from the water. When the hand that was trying to restrain him finally got a tight hold on the hand holding the rock he fought harder, bringing the branded wrist to his mouth and desperately biting at the skin.

“Stop, please. Please Keegan.” The brokenness in the voice above him drew him from the madness only briefly, only enough to recognize the eyes, blood now, and the night hair as something familiar. Still he couldn’t resist as he thrashed, trying to do anything that would destroy the brand on his wrist. “You have to stop Keegan, fight it. Focus Keegan. You know who I am and you will not allow this to continue.”

At the command Keegan found himself focusing a little more, vision less hazy, and he gasped as he saw Wolf hovering above him, pinning his wrists into the ground and watching with pained eyes.

“Fight,” Keegan gasped out, focusing on his demon. The creature nodded, frantic, and Keegan suddenly found himself standing, shoving the demon back with a strength he never should have had. Wolf landed on his back with a dull thud a few feet away. “Get out!” Keegan screamed. “You are not part of me!” As soon as he’d finished speaking he felt a sudden force in his body lurch, nearly choking him, until it was suddenly gone. He felt his knees give out and he landed on the cool dirt. “W-Wolf,” he whimpered as his body began to ache, suddenly feeling all of the abuse.

“Hush Keegan,” the demon said quietly, voice steady, but Keegan could see the genuine fear in them even as cool, inhuman arms enveloped him. Keegan buried his face into Wolf’s neck as he sobbed, terrified and beyond any semblance of self-control. It was only when he finally shoved the sobbing away that he realized where he was.

He shivered, realizing he’d gone to the lake where Wolf had explicitly told him not to go. Survival instinct taking over he suddenly shoved away from Wolf and tried to stand, to run to where the people of his village could protect him from the demon’s inevitable wrath. He had hardly taken a step when he pitched forward, legs unable to support his weight. Wolf was already there to break his fall and lower him gently back to the ground.

He shuddered away from Wolf’s touch, afraid the demon would kill him. He didn’t want to die, not after he had fought so hard for the entire day. It reallyhad been, he realized, looking around at the soft light of the evening.

“Keegan you are ok, you are safe. I cannot harm you,” Wolf told him, voice gentle, and Keegan was reminded of the gentle quality of the lake’s voice as well, until it had had him nearly in its grasp. The thought only made him more frantic to get away until Wolf shoved his wrists above his head and pinned his legs against the ground. “I swear on my life I am not here to kill you.” The oath and the sudden pain that flooded Keegan’s body made him give in suddenly just wanting to feel safe.

The human nodded in acceptance, allowing Wolf to gather him into his arms as if he were not more than a small child’s aged doll. He felt his entire body shaking from the lasting pain though it was concentrated along his entire forearm. Daring a glance at it Keegan winced. The skin all along his arm was raw and his teeth had cut into his skin. Bite marks littered the brand and dribbles of blood seemed to flow from it.

“Wolf,” Keegan said quietly and the demon made a gentle crooning sound.

“Nothing can hurt you Keegan. I would give me life to protect you,” Wolf swore, brushing some of the hair from his lover’s face. “I underestimated how strong the spirit was that called to you and I am so deeply sorry. I almost got you killed but you fought it. You fought what many humans could not even hope to escape and you won.” Keegan relaxed into Wolf’s chest as the demon continued speaking, words hushed and soothing.

“How did you find me?” he finally asked, needing to speak.

“When you injured the brand I could feel it. It is connected to me and I could feel you calling for help.”

“You came,” Keegan said in wonder, green eyes wide.

“I always will my darling. I am sorry you ever would have doubted that.”

“Home?” Keegan asked hesitantly, wanting to sleep and find peace. Wolf nodded and stood, holding Keegan in his arms. When they finally reached his house he saw a light in the window and Micah pacing about in the window.

“You must walk from here.” Wolf gently put Keegan on his feet only for the human to stumble, hardly able to stand. He grasped the side of a home, trying to keep his balance enough to get home.

“Come Wolf, please. I will keep Micah quiet. I don’t feel safe anymore.” The demon didn’t hesitate, immediately returning to Keegan’s side. He picked him up easily, walking towards the house that Keegan pointed at. The human was otherwise limp in his arms and Wolf found himself checking to make sure he was still breathing, terrified the next time he looked down he wouldn’t be. When he reached the house that Keegan had pointed to he kicked the door twice, hard. There was no point in attempting to change his eye color to a slightly more human appearance. A man like Micah would know a demon without much trouble.

The door opened in seconds, revealing an older and more weathered version of Keegan. His eyes widened in fear when he saw his brother and immediately reached out for him. In the brief moment that Wolf didn’t oblige Micah looked up, straight into eyes like blood.

“What did you do to my brother?” he hissed, sword already drawn though he couldn’t do anything that wouldn’t hurt his sibling. “What do you want?”

“Nothing,” Wolf said quietly. “I found him this way. Please just let me in.”

“No, not until you give me Keegan.” Micah’s eyes were fierce, a green that was similar to Keegan’s only harder.

“M-Micah it’s fine. Let us both in. Please. Wolf,” Keegan gasped suddenly, hand tightening around the demon’s shirt. “It hurts,” he whimpered, twisting in his lover’s arms.

“Stop! What are you doing to him?” Micah nearly shouted. “You can come in, you can have what you want, just stop hurting my brother.” He stepped aside and Wolf walked in, focusing only briefly before the door shut behind him. He walked easily through the home, following to where the scent of Keegan was strongest. He placed him in the small bed and sat next to him, Micah glaring at him the entire time. “What do you want?” Micah asked, terrified for his brother.

“Nothing you can give,” he answered dismissively. “Keegan, Keegan I know it hurts, I know,” he said, turning his attentions to the whimpering boy. “Just give it until morning and you’ll be ok again. You’ll heal fast, I promise. I’m sorry Keegan. I’m so sorry,” he whispered, gripping Keegan’s hand as tightly as he dared.

“What… What does he need?” Micah asked from behind the pair, voice resigned.

“Tea, fennel or chamomile if possible,” Wolf stated quietly, not looking at Micah. He didn’t dare take his eyes from Keegan. “The fennel takes pain so that would be preferable.” Micah gave a quiet grunt of acknowledgement and Wolf heard him walk out. It took him only a few minutes to return with a steaming cup.

“I always keep hot water ready,” he explained to Wolf’s surprise. “Why should I trust you? Why shouldn’t I just kill you?” he hissed, sword out and already to Wolf’s throat before he had much time to react.

“Because I could have killed Keegan. Because I have had the chance to kill Keegan many times over the past months,” he said pointedly. Micah snarled, eyes dark when he understood the demon’s insinuation. “I promised Keegan I wouldn’t kill you, even if you attempted to kill me but I will restrain you if I need to.” Micah went to protest but Wolf had already dodged under the blade and was behind Micah, a hand wrapped around his throat. “I would do anything for your brother.” Wolf shoved Micah away, deciding he had proven his point.

Micah hesitantly handed Wolf the cup of tea he had put on the floor and the demon thanked him tersely. Keegan groaned when Wolf touched his forehead but didn’t protest when the demon moved him into a sitting position. He gently put the cup to the human’s lips, encouraging him to drink. Keegan didn’t fight against Wolf’s silent order, sighing in relief at the warmth that spread through him almost immediately.

“Wolf,” Keegan whispered quietly, hand reaching up blindly as the boy still hadn’t opened his eyes.

“I’m here Keegan. I’ll be here in the morning too. I’m not leaving you.” The demon shuddered at the thought. If the spirit attempted to take Keegan again it would find little resistance if Keegan was alone. He was weakened considerably from the first attempt.

“Keegan!” Micah rushed to the bed, kneeling so he could touch his brother’s shoulder. The boy flinched until he saw who it was.

“Micah… Micah I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. Don’t-“ He broke off, gasping in pain and clutching at his chest. “Don’t hurt Wolf,” he pleaded through his pain. He pulled his hand from the demon, both clutching at his chest and throat before he finally relaxed, eyes closing in sleep. Wolf gently laid the boy back onto the pillow and sighed.

“What happened?” the older brother asked, gasping when he saw the brand on his brother’s arm. “You took him, claimed him,” Micah hissed, eyes narrowed. “He doesn’t even have a choice with your influence.”

“It doesn’t work that way. A brand like that only comes from a willing relationship. A spirit who wants vengeance on me… it is trying to claim Keegan for itself. He’s only human and it… It basically sent a small piece of itself into Keegan to force him to come to the water. He fought it though, with everything he had. Pain… cleared his head from the temptation. When he hit the brand though-“ Wolf broke off, shuddering as he recalled the madness that had screamed across the tie Keegan hadn’t even known existed. “The spirit was furious and it hurt it while calling me. It chose to attack Keegan directly and he forced it out but, getting rid of a possessing spirit… You can imagine how it effects the person.”

“Will he die?” Micah asked quietly, visibly terrified and shaken. “I can’t lose my brother.”

“No, no he will be fine. Physically he will heal quickly. He will be weak but by the morning the pain will be gone. In two days he’ll be fine completely but mentally… That will depend very much on what happens tomorrow.”

“You are staying till then?” Micah asked hesitantly. A careful truce had been reached Wolf knew, and only because of Keegan’s painful request.

“I’ll be here until Keegan tells me I cannot be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not a whole lot left, probably another five or so chapters. I thought I should show a little more depth to Wolf. He's a demon so of course he's bad but he has a heart... kinda. I really love this story so very much. It might be my favorite I've ever written =D So you should comment;]
12 pages on word!