Wolf

6: The Waiting

Keegan wandered through the streets, forcing smiles for all the people that tried to speak to him. Most of the town was nice but it was irritating that, since he and Micah had become knights, everyone wanted to talk to them. Keegan suspected that it was mostly because he was unengaged and therefore, in the eyes of the people, a potential son-in-law. There weren’t many options in a small town for a daughter to find a husband that was well off and even through Micah’s prowess as a knight the respect rubbed off on Keegan.

He found himself wondering how many of these people would even talk to them if they knew who was currently at his home. No one liked demons and any who associated with them were seen just as badly. For a moment Keegan felt concerned, hoping Lisa wouldn’t find out. He didn’t want to hurt Micah’s relationship.

When yet another person came up to talk Keegan sighed but offered another smile. It was only when the man, one of their late father’s friends, tried to take one of the baskets from him that Keegan flinched away.

“I’ve got it Quinn,” Keegan told the older man quickly, forcing a smile. He had forgotten about the brand on his arm till he was already in town and had little choice now but to keep it hidden against his baskets. Though his shirt was long-sleeved it was loose and slid down easily. “How have you been?”

“Oh you’re too proper. I can certainly carry a basket,” Quinn told him with a laugh but didn’t try to take it again. “I’m fine. How are you doing, and Micah? You two should come to dinner tomorrow night.”

“We’re well,” Keegan answered easily, keeping a light smile on his face. “We actually have a guest right now. He’s an old friend not from around here so we’d like to spend our nights with him.”

“Nonsense. You know by now that any friend of your family’s is certainly welcome at our house. I’ll see you three tomorrow,” Quinn said, walking away before Keegan could protest. He cursed under his breath before hurrying home. What the hell was he supposed to tell Micah and Wolf?

“How is he?” Keegan asked as soon as Micah opened the door for him.

“Well enough I suppose. He woke up not long after you left. Did you get everything we needed?”

“Yeah but um, well I met up with Quinn and you know how he is. We’re going over there tomorrow night for dinner, Wolf included…” Micah glared at his younger brother but didn’t respond. Instead he grabbed both baskets from the boy’s hands and cursed.

“Go deal with your creature.” Keegan shot his brother a glare as the older knight kicked at him. He ignored the taunt and walked into the bedroom, knowing getting into a fight would do nothing to help the situation.

“Wolf, hey,” Keegan said quietly, walking over to where the demon was sitting on the bed. He was leaning against the wall looking exhausted but edgy. He started when Keegan got closer, shaking his head briefly.

“Keegan, I’m sorry. Are you ok?” he asked immediately, trying to stand up.

“Yes, and so is Micah but I need to know what happened,” Keegan said, pushing Wolf back down as he sat next to him. “That wasn’t like you.”

“You really think I’ve got some redeeming quality don’t you,” Wolf laughed darkly.

“Yes, and I also think if you’d wanted us dead we would be, and if you were just bored you would have made the fight a little longer.” Wolf responded with only a sigh before reaching out to grab Keegan’s wrists. He looked at both, frowning guiltily at the one with a clear handprint on it. Keegan pulled away slightly, surprised when Wolf let him but the demon only took his other wrist.

He traced the design there, following each line of the starburst that marred his pale skin. Keegan winced, almost positive it had become darker though he knew that was crazy. Wolf seemed content though, calmly following it with a light finger and occasionally letting his touch trace its way to Keegan’s palm.

It was tempting, letting the demon simply exist and be calm, but Keegan needed answers. He couldn’t risk a repeat of the afternoon. If it happened again he had no doubt that Micah would kill the demon without a second thought, if they both didn’t end up dead first.

“Wolf, please tell me what happened,” Keegan pleaded softly. He slumped against the wall, sinking down until he was able to rest his head on Wolf’s shoulder. “I almost killed you.”

“You did,” he agreed. “I thought you would.” The demon let out a quiet sigh, moving his hand to twist it through Keegan’s hair. “I don’t know what happened… There was just this presence and suddenly I needed to kill. Not everyone though, just you and Micah. I couldn’t fight it at first but then you were right there and it stopped.”

“Will it happen again?” the human asked, forcing the words out.

“No,” Wolf told him firmly, confident. “It’s something to do with the one who wanted you. This ends on the next new moon.” Keegan couldn’t help but flinch at the malevolence in Wolf’s voice and he looked up just in time to see the demon’s eyes flash a bloody red.

“What if it kills you?” Keegan questioned, frowning. He didn’t want to lose the demon, couldn’t imagine it. His life had grown to fit that of a demon’s lover now, full of terribly unsure moments but more importantly an impossible bond. Just the thought of Wolf’s death was painful in a way Keegan had never felt and set the brand on his arm burning ferociously.

“Then it will still be over. I am not concerned,” Wolf said with a flippant shrug before letting out a quiet sigh. The demon’s long fingers wound their way through one of Keegan’s hand, bringing it up to his mouth. Wolf pressed his lips to the sensitive skin of his wrist before breathing in deeply, taking in the scent. “Do not worry over me Keegan. There is no such thing as immortal anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while and this seems oddly short compared to the other chapters for some reason=[ Anyway, thanks for reading! And I would love at least one comment? That really isn't that much to ask, is it? Please?