Wolf

7: Release the Secrets

“And you’re sure this is a good idea?” Micah demanded, glaring at Wolf with unrepentant disgust.

“Not really, no but Quinn was persistent. He’ll never even know and-“

“And I promise not to try and kill anyone,” Wolf told Micah, sounding flippant, but Keegan could still hear the apology in his voice, see it in his amber eyes when they met Keegan’s. Before Micah could make a comment Keegan knocked on the small wood door, pasting on a smile as soon as an elderly woman opened the door.

“Oh, my dears! Micah you haven’t changed a bit since you two left! Oh but Keegan, you’ve grown into such a handsome young man. You were hardly a boy the last time I saw you.”

“It’s a pleasure to see you again Mary,” Micah said politely, smiling.

“Don’t be so formal! Come on in you two. Oh excuse me!” she exclaimed, looking appalled when she looked at Wolf. Keegan hesitated, almost spinning around to make sure Wolf’s eyes weren’t red. “Forgive me sir. Welcome to you as well. Quinn said you would be joining us. I’m Mary dear. Come on in you three.” She stepped out of the doorway and allowed the three men to enter.

“I’m called Wolf ma’am.” Though she looked a bit dubious about this stranger her expression melted into acceptance when he kissed the top of her hand with a roguish smile. Keegan couldn’t help but smile as well, as he always did when Mary seemed happy. She had become a mother figure to him for a while after his own had died. Now her face was crinkled with laugh lines and creases but she still radiated the warmth she had as a younger woman.

“Dinner is nearly ready. I just need to set the table and we can eat. Come, gather around you three,” he said as she ushered them into the kitchen. In the flickering candlelight there her grey hair seemed to shimmer, changing color and for only a moment Keegan thought he saw Wolf looking mournfully towards her. As soon as the emotions had seemed to register the expression was replaced by a calmly stoic but polite smile.

“Hello boys, friend.” Quinn nodded towards them all with a smile from where he was pouring water into five mismatched wooden cups.

Once dinner had ended Mary attempted to shoo the men outside, handing them a small lantern so they could still see out on the porch. Keegan hesitated, torn between helping Mary with the dishes and monitoring Wolf and Micah, before following her back to the washing table. He took the cloth from her hands with an easy smile before grabbing the bucket of water over the fire, pouring it into a bowl for washing the dishes.

“Go on out there dear. You must be wanting to spend time with your-with Wolf, before he has to leave again.”

“Nonsense Mary. I always help you in here. Let them talk of the crops and the weather,” he said with a scoff. While both were important Keegan found talk of both supremely trying and with Mary those topics were hardly even brushed over. She chuckled knowingly before handing him a spare rag to dry the dishes as she washed.

“How are you doing Keegan? You seem to have grown so much while you were gone.”

“Good,” he answered easily, trying to brush his red curls away from his face to better see what he was doing. “It’s good to be home.”

“I’m glad we saw you today. I feel so much better now my dear,” she told him, pausing in placing the dishes into the bowl so that she could stroke his hair gently. “I was worried about how you would handle your first campaign. You seem happier than I’ve ever seen you though.”

“The campaign was tiring,” he allowed, “but I’ve met good friends and learned much of life.”

“And Wolf, is he one of those friends? A knight too?”

“No,” Keegan said with a scoff before he could stop himself. “Well he is a friend, just not a knight. He couldn’t pledge himself to any place long enough to even train.” Not that he needed it, Keegan told himself.

“He seems fond of you, relative to Micah,” Mary commented, washing the remains of beef stew from a bowl before handing it to Keegan.

“They don’t get on well,” he admitted. It wasn’t exactly a secret, with the tension bouncing between the two so strongly. “Micah’s traditional though, proper, and Wolf’s…”

“A bit of a rogue?” Mary supplied with an easy smile. “I may have noticed that over dinner, or the moment he walked in.” Keegan laughed, unable to help himself and agreed. Really, what else could he say about Wolf? Though he was powerful, and a demon, Keegan had seen him interact with people enough times to know he was also a charmer if he wanted to be. “He’s a good friend though?” she checked.

“Yes,” Keegan promised, nodding. “He’s saved my life.” And almost taken it but she didn’t need to know that.

“I never thought you would be one of the nobles with a nice lady and ten children,” Mary said innocently, giving him a knowing smile as she handed him another bowl. “I’m glad you’ve found such a friend.”

“W-What? Mary we-“

“You should know better than to lie to me Keegan. I near raised you at times and you think I didn’t notice you always watching the knights? There was a bit more than aspiration in your eyes sometimes.” Keegan’s green eyes widened and he looked at her, mouth gaping as he flushed enough to match his hair.

“Thank you,” Keegan said quietly, unsure of how else to respond. She’d accepted his… preferences so easily that he found himself wondering if she’d accept Wolf being a demon too, if Keegan proved he was still a good man. “Wolf… he’s different Mary. People don’t like him much, when they know how he really is.”

“Then it’s good that he has you,” Mary said warmly.

“I just… he’s got secrets and I hate keeping them sometimes, from the people I care about.”

“My baby,” she crooned gently, giving up on washing the dishes to pull Keegan into a hug. He felt her lips press against his forehead before burying his face in her neck and breathing in the smell of woodsmoke and sunshine. “Come here, we can talk. You tell me whatever you want and… and I promise I won’t tell a soul, no matter what I think.” He gave her a smile in thanks before taking a breath.

“I’m afraid of him sometimes, or well, more those that he knows. He’s got enemies, and they’re powerful. I think he’s going to confront one, a really strong one, and he’s planning on dying. I can’t lose him Mary,” Keegan admitted, unable to meet her eyes.

“We don’t always get to make those kinds of choices my dear. We eventually all must settle our pasts.” She smoothed out his hair once more, thumb lingering on his cheek in a motion that made him feel grounded.

“Micah hates him and they almost killed each other.” Mary’s wide eyes made him give her a weak smile. He didn’t exaggerate his stories, especially not to her, and he felt guilty telling her but he needed to. “He’s violent sometimes, can’t help it, even though he doesn’t hurt me. I’m afraid he’s losing his humanity sometimes.”

“It’s been a dark few years, with this war. I’m sure he’s seen much, just as we all have.”

“He’s seen so much more,” Keegan said quietly, shaking his head. “Mary he’s-“ Mary’s eyes flickered to something behind him just as strong arms wrapped around his chest, where they reached best he figured since he was sitting.

“I should’ve known I couldn’t trust you alone.” Wolf’s words were quiet, close to his ear, but he knew Mary could still hear. The words weren’t angry though, hardly even annoyed. Instead they held an air of indulgence and a soft kiss was pressed to the top of his head. Keegan found himself blushing in embarrassment. The affection Wolf was bestowing would have been highly improper had either of them been a woman and though Keegan had never been briefed on the propriety of having two males together, he suspected it would be much the same.

“Forgive me for interrupting but Micah,” Keegan could clearly hear Wolf’s distaste, “thinks it’s time for us to go. Mary it was lovely to meet you. Thank you for dinner.” The demon moved away from Micah to hug the woman as Keegan stood.

“I’m happy to have met you, knowing you make Keegan so happy,” she told him, gripping onto his hand tightly. “Just, please don’t hurt him.” Keegan bit his lip from where he stood behind the pair until Wolf moved and he could hug her. “You come back soon. Tomorrow so we can catch up even,” she told him sternly and he found himself promising to be there.

They met Micah outside and after a brief goodbye to Quinn made their way home. The whole way there Keegan was tense, waiting for the conversation he and Wolf would probably end up having. Wolf seemed irritable, constantly sharing swapping glares with Micah. His brother kept his hand on his sword the entire walk home and, from the brief glance Keegan got, he saw Wolf’s eyes were colored like drying blood.

“Goodnight Keegan,” Micah said promptly, walking straight into their bedroom and shutting the door behind him. Wolf chuckled, almost growling, before he turned to Keegan. The human shuddered at the redness of his lover’s eyes before Wolf’s smile softened, eyes blending into a warm amber.

“Come here my pet,” he summoned, hand outstretched. With an obedient nod Keegan walked closer, fingers wrapping through Wolf’s. “You’re silly, you know.”

“Why?” Keegan asked, frowning. He really hadn’t done anything to provoke that kind of a response, especially not in contrast to the rage he’d been expecting.

“You’re so fearful of my death. I wish you could understand that I’m not afraid to face it. I have no fear of death or dying, not anymore.”

“I still fear for you regardless,” Keegan told him quietly, stepping close so that Wolf could pull him into a tight embrace. “I’m sorry that I almost told Mary your secret. It wasn’t-“

“You trust her with our secret. You will be in far more danger than I would be if the wrong person found out. Please just remember that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm kinda sad I don't have comments despite having subscribers ='[ I don't care if you tell me you hate Wolf and want him dead. Just some feedback would be nice. So yeah, I need one comment (just one) for another update