Ten Zillion Fireflies

Day One to Happy

12:06 a.m.
I look up as I hear a knock at the door.

“Come in.” I say as I hide sit up and focus my attention on the door. I watch as it slowly opens and Jace walks in.

“Hey buddy.” He says sitting on my bed.

“Hey Jace.” I whisper as he makes himself comfortable.

“It’s been too long.” He replies, and I have to agree. It has been too long. “Christmas?” He asks and I nod. “When,” he paused wording and rewording the words in his head. “Mom, she… When mom told me about Bren, I just… I lost it you know? I just… everything stopped. I stopped. I locked myself up. I can’t imagine what it’s like for you. Brendon was one of those rare people you know? He just… he touched people. He moved people. Brendon was a show stopper. He made people believe anything he wanted.” He paused and I nod, agreeing with him as tears streamed down my face. “Maddie, you know that he wouldn’t want to see you like this. I just wanted to let you know that we’re here for you okay? All of us, we just want to see you get better, and be happy again.” He says.

“I don’t know that I can without him Jace. It’s like there’s a giant hole in my heart that I just can’t fill no matter how hard I try.”

"Maddie, sweetie, this is to be expected. You can't just lose your twin and expect everything to be hunky dory in the morning. But this is the rest of your life. You've got to live it to the best and fullest okay?" He says and I agree. "We're here for you." he says and quietly leaves. I wait for a while until I know that everyone is for sure asleep and I sneak into the bathroom. I know I promised mom I’d stop, but I just couldn’t tonight. My anxiety is beginning to get the best of me, and I made a small cut. I take a deep breath, leaning back against the bathtub, already feeling the high begin to creep over my body. I draw a few more lines, deeper and longer than before, longer than I had ever dared before my hospital stay. I make my way back to my room, and pick up a fresh new notebook. David said something about recovery that I thought would be useful. Writing Brendon a letter.

Day One to Happy
Dear Brendon,
I guess we both know what got me here in a strange new environment, with people that I never thought that I would ever live with. You were right about Cam. I should have listened. I should have seen, but I guess that’s why they say hindsight is 20/20. I miss having you to talk my feelings out to.
There’s this boy who lives here Bren, and he is adorably handsome. But I don’t think he likes me. You see, he frowned at me. Yes, I can hear your laughter now. How silly of me to base this on a mere frown, but he’s an artist Bren, and dang it, he’s good. Like, amazing Bren, and maybe I’m not someone who should be looking at guys like that, but I’d love to get to know him. Hopefully it will happen sooner than later. David was right, this does help.
Love Maddie.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a short chapter, a tie-in move along, maddie and bren, get to know Jace mini chapter,
BUT give me thoughts.
What do you like about the story so far?
What don't you like?