Ten Zillion Fireflies

Falling Like Glitter.

March 23, 2009
4:57 P.M.

The store was quiet and empty. I settled into the chair behind the register. Cam leaned against the counter studying me. I had begun to request work with him. Slowly at first, studying his reactions. I was glad Ammiee hadn't told him what was going on yet.

Cam's hunter green vest contrasted beautifully against his pale skin. "I'm really glad you're back Madelynne. It has really been lonely here without you." Cam said as he pulled on the partial smile that I was so fond of. It wasn't hard to see how I had fallen so hard for him at one time, but now he has become ab unanswered wish, a dream of a past life. I wonder if he realizes this. If he even cares. I look back up to my best friend, the one who tried like crazy to be there during my loss. I fall into the arms of the one who had caused my brother's death, and I relax. Instantly Cam's arms wrap around me, pulling me into him. The scent of his cologne fills my nose as his fingers lace through my hair.

"Oh Madelynne," he whispers, running his fingers through my hair to my shoulders. "I am so sorry." I wasn't prepared when he pushed me back, and even more unprepared for when his lips touch mine. It is a small kiss, but nontheless, one that I do not return. Whether for fear or shock, I do not know. I turn from him, back to my work, but now I wear a smile because I know that now I have a friend. And maybe, just maybe we'll be more than that.

April 2, 2009
12:01 p.m.

I sighed as I picked up my journal. I had neglected to write for a while and looked at the last entry. Somehow the feelings I mentioned were foreign to me like they were a part of an old dream. I heard the doorbell chime, and set down my book again, pulling on a jacket to cover the fact that I had yet to shower. I opened the door with a gasp.

"Hey." Cam said with a pearly white smile.

"Hi." I replied.

"We're still friends right?" He asked, and I nod.

"Want to come in? We could watch a movie." I offer opening the door wider. Cam grinned.

"I have to be at work in ten minutes. Can we take a rain check?" He asks.

"You have to be at work in ten minutes, but you're on my doorstep why?" I ask playfully.

"I wanted to see you." Cam said thoughtfully. "Tell you what, let me take you out after work."

"Take me out? What are you the mafia?" I said giggling, and making him laugh also.

"Please MayJay, we could go ice skating." He suggested.

"Ice skating huh?" I asked; Cam nodded. "In April?" I ask suspiciously. He nodded yes. "You can ice skate?" I ask amazed, and he nodded again.

"Trust me." He begs, and looking into those eyes the shade of ocean waves, I have to. "I have to go. I'll come around eight okay?" Cam pleads.

"Okay, eight." I say with a hopeful smile.

7:58 p.m.

I waited anxiously by the door. This was a trick. He is not going to show up. There is no way. Haha Cam. Very funny.

7:59 p.m.

I began to pace the floor. And even if he does show up, I think. Why am I even giving him the time of day? He killed Brendon. He didn't really kill him, a voice reminded me. I rolled my eyes.

8:00 p.m.

The doorbell chimed and suddenly the butterflies erupted in my stomach. Wait, this is not a date I reminded myself. It's just two friends going to the same place, together. That's all. I opened the door to find Cam with yet another bouquet of flowers. This time yellow roses were in his hands.

"You look amazing Madelynne." Cam said with a smile.

"Thanks," I said. "You do too." And he did.

Cam drove to the skating rink, which I never knew existed, paid for our skates, and led me over to a bench beside the rink. "Are you ready?" He asks me with a smile in his eyes. I nodded allowing him to to pull me onto the ice with him.

"So," I started, looking down at my wobbly ankles. "Cameron Sanders the ice skater. Somehow it doesn't sound like it's very popular with your friends. When did you start?" I ask him struggling not to fall.

"It's easier when you don't look down," he says, gently pulling my chin up to look in my eyes.
"I started when Brendon died. I've came out here everyday since then. I've stopped MayJay. Drinking, drugs, everything, it's all over." He admitted. I looked up into his amazingly blue eyes, and then began to fall. He looked surprised as he fell on his back, and I landed in his lap. But he smiled, and we both burst out laughing.

"Can I get you some coffee?" He asks me. I nod as he pulled me back onto my feet and helped me out of the rink.

He led me to one of the tables in the back, and slid in beside me setting my coffee down. We sat there for a while in silence. It was nice.

"MayJay," Cam began, "I've always liked you and I know that rushing into a relationship isn't what you want, but..." He said no more, because it was at that very moment that I decided to kiss him. For the first time in two months, I was happy. I feel his hand on my cheek, gently pulling me closer to him.

"Let's take it slow then. Okay?" I offer with a smile, and the contagious smile on his face was identical to the one on mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to give a special thank you to all 24 of my subscribers (:
you guys rock my socks clean off my feet (: