La Vie En Rose

Chapter 29

“Emma Watson!?” John exclaimed with disbelief. ”THEE Emma Watson asked for your number so you guys can have a coffee date next time she’s in the city?”


“Yes, that’s the one!” I giggled, hardly containing my excited. “She even said she wants to attend my fashion show in May if she’s in town!”

“I think I need to sit down.”

I laughed at John’s response as I leaned against the cold railing of my suite’s balcony. It was just a little past ten at night in Paris and I was positively exhausted. It was my fourth night of being here. The past four days have been jam-packed with adventures, thanks to Karl. He gladly showed me around the city, took me to all his fancy dinners/parties he was hosting and even, as a surprise, brought me to the main Chanel store one evening and let me choice whatever dress I wanted...for free. I couldn’t believe it. I was actually being treated like a princess and I felt like I didn’t deserve it. I needed to be pinched. All of this couldn’t have been real. That wasn’t even the most bizarre part. Suddenly, everyone knew my name and knew who I was. When I arrived at the several venues for fashion week, the reporters claimed me as ‘Gigi: the American designer on the rise’ or ‘Gaga for Gigi’. It was all happening so fast. Before I knew it, I was sitting front row for the Chanel show, wearing a new black dress with beautiful embroidery on the chest area, sandwiched between Anna Wintour and Emma Watson. It took everything in me to prevent myself to fangirl. It doesn’t even stop there. You can imagine my surprise when Marc Jacobs spotted me at the after party and greeted me like we were old friends.

“It’s about fucking time I see your face around here.” Marc grinned as he linked our arms together for a picture. “You deserve it, baby. You’re a phenomenal designer. Lunch date some time next week? I’ll be back in the city. I must go darling, I am not drunk enough. I’ll email you later.” And with a quick kiss on my cheek, he vanished into the crowd of beautiful people. To say I was a little frazzled was an understatement.

“It sounds like you’re having a lot of fun, Gigi.” John spoke into the phone. “I’m so happy for you, really I am.”

As much as I was completely ecstatic over the fact that my career was in motion, the sound of John’s voice made me miss home. What was killing me even more was the fact that he was in New York and I wasn’t.

I smiled sadly and rested my wrist on the railing. “I wish I was with you right now.”

Me too. Everything happens for a reason, Gigi. Don’t worry, I’ll find a way to see you again as soon as possible.” He swore, making my heart skip a quick beat. “Even if that means swimming the seven seas and climbing every mountain in my way.”

I grinned and shook my head. “You’re silly.”

“Well you’re cute.” He responded, not missing a beat. Before I could respond, I could hear loud yelling in the background. John spoke again. “Thats my cue. We have sound check now.”

I frowned. “Okay. Have fun tonight. Don’t get too rowdy without me.”

It was John’s turn to laugh. “I’ll try not to. Goodnight my little Gigi.”

When we got off the phone, I quietly went back inside. Sharon was already passed out, judging by the loud snoring that came from her room. I tip-toed down the marble hallway of our suite and found my room, quickly changing into my pjs and crawling into my king sized bed. Knowing that John is in the city right now and I had the potential to be with him at this very second, made me feel lonelier than ever. I grabbed one of the extra pillows and smashed down in the empty spot next to me. It didn’t help much but it was better than nothing.

+++


“Oh Gigi, how I wish you could stay longer!” Karl threw his hands up in the air for emphasis. “You are an absolute delight!”

“Karl, I can’t thank you enough for what you did for me. For everything.” I smiled at him as I set my teacup down on the saucer. “If there was any way I could repay you, I would.”

I was spending my last couple of hours in Paris with Karl at his warm home, enjoying a cup of tea and macaroons which are, as Karl said, a ‘French classic’. I admit, I was a little sad to leave Paris but the city was waiting for me. Long overdue homework, to be more precise.

“Nonsense.” He responded in his thick accent, flicking his wrist. I noticed, over the past couple of days, that Karl Lagerfeld most definitely talks a lot through his hands. “You owe me nothing but a new friendship. And perhaps maybe you model in one my shows? You have the most beautiful face, Gigi!”

I blushed at the compliment and thanked him again. I noticed Sharon, who waited patiently inside Karl’s house with his assistant, approached one of the open french doors and tapped her wrist, signaling it was time to go. With one last sip of tea, I grudgingly stood up. Karl followed suit, immediately opening up his arms. I didn’t hesitate to give him one last hug.

“Aw, I wish you could come to my first fashion show in May!” I whined, parting from Karl and smiling. “I think you would like it, judging by what you put on the runway this season. A lot of color blocking and platforms” I added with a wink.

Karl chuckled. “I know, my dear, I wish I could make it too but I will be in Japan for work. Don’t think I won’t find the reviews online however! I doubt Vogue.com or The Satorialist will miss it!”

“Gigi!” Sharon called from inside. “The car is here, come on!”

With one last final goodbye to Karl, I scurried after Sharon, thanked Karl’s assistant for everything and finally, got into the car.

“I’m going to miss Paris.” I sighed as I watched the final scenery disappear behind me as we approached the airport. “I felt like Audrey Hepburn here.”

“Don’t we all.” Sharon agreed. “Are you excited to go home?”

“Yeah. I guess.” I sank into my seat, folding my hands neatly in my lap. “I’m still a little upset that I missed John and the guys though.”

“Don’t think about it, G.” Sharon assured me. “Bands are always on tour, they’ll probably be back in New York in no time.”

+++


It was early morning by the time my flight touched down at JFK airport. I spent the majority of the flight sketching up ideas for future collections and putting some finishing touches on my Greek Mythology paper because my professor just adores assigning papers at the most inconvenient times. I didn’t realize how tired I was until I got back to my apartment in Manhattan.

“Welcome home!” Alma exclaimed loudly from the kitchen as Sharon and I stumbled into the living room with our luggage. “I made coffee and breakfast for you guys! I figured you would be hungry.”

“You’re the best roommate in the entire world.” I yawned as I unravelled my chiffon scarf and dropped it onto the couch before lazily walking into the kitchen and giving Alma a hug. I could feel my mouth water the minute I noticed the poached eggs, bacon and hash browns waiting for me. “How did you know I was craving bacon!?”

Alma gave me a look. “Gigi. You always crave bacon. And food in general.”

“You should of seen the looks people gave her at the after parties we attended.” Sharon stated as she poured herself a cup of coffee. She shook her head. “She finished off the hor d'oeuvres in minutes.”

“I was hungry!” I gave her a cheek grin.

“Gigi!” Alma laughed while reaching into the cupboard and grabbing three plates. While handing me one, she asked. “So, how was fashion week? Tell Mama Alma everything.”

While Sharon and I recounted the events in Paris, the three of us filled up our plates with the delicious breakfast food and moved to the living room. It was hard not to yawn between every other sentence due to lack of sleep. I was so tired that I started to hear my warm, toasty bed whisper my name seductively.

“Geeg, you balled hard in Paris. Proud of you, kiddo.” Alma smiled. “The boys really missed you this weekend.”

Thats when I felt a little (but not much) burst of energy run through me. “The Maine!? Did you see them?”

“Of course I did!” Alma exclaimed. “Had to fight off the slores and keep your man safe, didn’t I? I invited them back to the apartment for drinks after the show.”

“I’m so mad I missed them. God, the next time I’ll see them will probably be Summer.” I sighed angrily. “Great!”

I noticed Sharon and Alma share a look. I darted my eyes back and forth between them with confusion. With a raised eyebrow, I spoke again. “What?”

“Do you want to tell her or should I?” Sharon asked Alma.

“Tell me what!?” I sat up now, eager to hear what they could possibly be keeping from me.

“Alright, I’ll tell her!” Alma was grinning now as she reached over to the coffee table and picked up a larger, white envelope. “We kinda have a surprise for you.”

“What is it? What is that?” I blurted out, wondering what the hell this has to do with anything. I noticed Sharon was grinning excitedly now too.

“This envelope I’m holding,” Alma raised it. “is an invitation to a Nylon party that is being held in Hollywood, California.”

My heart immediately sunk. “Thats it? Thats the surprise? No way am I going! I just got home! I can’t keep leaving New York and school. I’ll fail my classes!”

“Relax, will you?” Sharon pipped up. “This party isn’t until another three weeks.”

“Oh. Well then that’s too close to th-”

“THE REASON-” Sharon raised her voice to cut me off. “we’re bringing this up is because I asked the magazine to send me the guest list, just to see if it would be even worth going to and well...”

She began pulling out a paper from her purse. Alma began to clap excitedly as Sharon handed me the paper. “look at the bottom.”

I took the paper and skimmed the list. My eyes grew wide when my eyes found the words ‘The Maine’.

I jumped up, shrieking with excitement. “I’m going, I’m going, I’m going!”

Both Alma and Sharon started laughing as I started jumping around the living room.

“Just so you know,” Sharon spoke again. “No one else who was invited, got the list of attendees.”

“Do you see what we’re getting at?” Alma declared. “Surprise your goddamn boyfriend in California!”

I squealed again with even more excitement. I can already see the look John would make if I showed up.

“Oh my God!” I was trying so hard not to yell so loudly. “I have to call Garrett!”

I ran into my room and grabbed my phone, animately pushing the numbers. I paced my room while the phone began ringing. On the fourth ring, Garrett picked up.

“Gigi.” His voice was groggy and hoarse. “It’s eight in the morni-”

“Garrett!” I said quickly. “You’re never going to BELIEVE this.” 

♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been a while and a lot of you probably forgot about this story but it was killing me that I haven't finished this. Therefore, it is no longer on hiatus. I hope some of you will still read it because I do have a great ending planned. Dramatic, romantic and sad is what I have in store for you all!