I Saw Your Heart as It Overtook Me

Double Up, Babe

Matt sat there, staring at me with his mouth hanging slightly open, looking as if he were still trying to comprehend what I had just said. His hand that had been absent mindedly tracing designs on my arm had fallen still, his breathing was now slow and slightly shallow.

As his eyes continued to bore into mine he let out a laugh, half because of his nerves, half out of disbelief.

"You ... " He trailed off, turning me so that my body was facing him.

His mouth opened and closed a few times but the words just seemed to fail him.

"Matt .. please say something other than 'you'." I said quietly, gently lacing my fingers with his.

"Holy shit." He managed to get out.

" ... And other than holy shit." I added.

"Lauren ... this is ... incredible." He said softly.

"Yeah?" I asked, biting my lip slightly.

"Fuck yeah." He grinned, wrapping his arms tightly around me. "This is ... holy shit."

He laughed a little bit more, causing met o laugh as well before he cut me off by pressing his lips to mine, catching me in a passionate kiss. I snaked my arms around his shoulder to deepen the kiss as he pulled me onto his lap, pushing his tongue into my mouth, gentling massaging my own.

After a little make out session that lasted about five minutes, Matt slowly pulled away from me, his breathing somewhat uneven. He pulled me, if possible, even closer to him and let me rest my head on his shoulder so that I was still able to look up at him.

"Lauren, this is seriously one of the best days of my life." He said quietly.

As lame as this may sound, I felt my heart melt as I watched a single tear fall from his amazing eyes and slide down one of his clean shaven cheeks. I gave him a soft smile and reached up to while the lone tear away before I placed my hand on the side of his face, gently caressing it with my thumb.

"Thank you Matt." I whispered.

"For what, sweetheart?" He asked.

"For making all my dreams come true." I smiled. "You promised me you would and well ... you did, babe."

I saw a little grin pulling at the corners of Matt's mouth and within a few seconds a full blown smile had spread across his face.

"Come on, Lauren." He said excitedly, standing up suddenly and picking me up with ease. "Let's go tell everybody."

Before I had time to answer Matt had now thrown me over his shoulder and was running across the stage, through the hall, and into the room where the rest of the gang were still sitting around. As soon as Matt went busting through the door, everybody turned and focused their attention on us. Matt set me back down on my feet and I felt my cheeks starting to flush ever so slightly.

"Um ... do you guys have something to share with us?" Zacky asked with a little smirk playing across his face.

"Yeah, so you'd best fucking listen up." Matt said, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind me.

I laughed a little to myself and elbowed Matt a little in his ribs to get him to quiet down.

"Well, what is it that's so important?" Johnny asked obnoxiously.

"I-"

"Does it have anything to do with Matt's current obsession with push-up pops?" Johnny interrupted.

"Uh ... no." I said slowly, giving Johnny a funny look. "Actually-"

"Is it-"

"Damn it you short stack piece of shit." Matt said somewhat angrily. "Shut the fuck up and let my pregnant fiance speak."

There were a few sharp intakes of breath, followed by a few seconds of silence, which was then broken by some squeals of excitement and resulted in four pair of arms wrapping themselves around me, pulling me clear out of Matt's grasp and hugging me tightly.

"Okay, okay, not so rough now." I said, somehow managing to escape the sudden mob only to be swept into another, more masculine pair of arms; my brother's.

"Congratulations sister." He whispered into my ear.

He kissed my cheek before he let me go and get hugs from everybody else. After a few minutes of hugging, kissing, and congratulating, I finally found my way back into Matt's arms. He led me to the couch and sat down, carefully pulling me down onto his lap. He readjusted himself a little, wrapping his arms around my waist as if to secure me in place and then looked over at me.

"I love you Lauren." He whispered before gently pressing his lips to mine for a second or two.

"I love you too, Matt." I whispered back.

Matt gave me a little smile that made his dimples show and brought my head down so that I could rest it on his shoulder. I smiled to myself and cuddled more into him, thinking about the months that lay ahead of us.

- || FF Five Months || -
I held tightly onto Matt's hand as he led me through the mall, trying my best to keep up with him but my growing belly was making it hard for me to do so.

"Mattie." I said, gently tugging on his hand.

"What is it, sweetie?" He asked, slowing his pace a little to glance over his shoulder at me.

"Could you slow down a little?" I asked. "I can only waddle so fast, you know."

"Oh, I'm sorry sweetheart." Matt said with a little smile.

He let go of my hand and placed his arm around my shoulders, placing a gentle kiss on my cheek before we continued our little journey. I wrapped my arm around Matt's waist and hook a finger through one of his belt loops to hold my arm in place.

"What time is your doctor's appointment?" Matt asked.

"At 2:30." I replied. "Are you going with me?"

"Of course I'm going with you, babe."

I smiled a little to myself, thinking about how great Mattie has been to me with this whole pregnancy deal. Even before I was pregnant Matt would give in to my every wish but not it was almost as if he'd cater to me before I even asked of anything.

When we finally got to the store we were heading to, Matt dropped his arm from my shoulder and took hold of my hand once more, pulling me inside. I took a look around and couldn't believe all the baby stuff around me.

"So ... where do we start?" Matt asked.

"I don't know." I said slowly. " ... Cribs?"

"Alright." He said, pulling me to the section of the store that had the rockers and cribs.

I bit my lip as we wandered around, not really knowing exactly what it was we should be looking out for. It seemed like there were so many to choose from, so many different designs, so many different brands.

"Mattie, which one?" I asked, tightening my hand around him.

"I don't know." He said, looking absolutely clueless. "Maybe we should ask for some help."

As if on cue an employee came strolling towards us.

"Good morning." She smiled. "You two look like you're pretty lost."

"Oh ... lost is an understatement." I grinned.

"Well, maybe I can help you guys." She laughed. "What were you two looking for today?"
Matt and I looked at each other for a couple of seconds before I turned back to the lady.

"Pretty much everything." I said.

"Okay, let me go grab a cart for you guys, we're gonna need it."

***************************************

"Lauren, I think we've got the baby spoiled already." Matt said, loading the last of our baby stuff into the back of his Escalade.

"Yeah ... I think so too." I replied, going around to the passenger side.

As soon as Matt shut the door he rushed over to help me into my seat. After I got myself settled and buckled in, he leaned over and pressed his lips to mine before he pulled away and shut my door. A few seconds later he appeared on the driver's side and climbed in behind the wheel.

I looked at my watch and sighed heavily, seeing that it was already 2 o'clock.

"What is it, babe?" Matt asked.

"We're gonna be late for my appointment."

"We still have half an hour though."

"You know that you're supposed to show up fifteen minutes before your appointment." I said quietly. "And it takes like twenty five minutes to get there."

"Don't worry babe, we'll get there in time." Matt said, giving me a reassuring smile.

We walked through the door of the doctor's office at exactly 2:15. Believe me, I almost had this baby pop out of me what with the way Matt insisted on driving like a mad man.
Matt shut the door behind us and looked down at me, giving me a soft smile and in response I gave him a mean look. A pinch of color drained from his face indicating that he knew he was in trouble, and forced an apologetic smile before he ran off to go sign me in at the front desk.

While Matt was getting my paperwork taken care of I decided to go make myself comfortable on one of the seats. About a minute or two later Matt took a seat next to me, pulling me a little more towards him so that he could comfortably wrap a protective arm around my shoulders.

"Mattie, that wasn't cool, you racing around like a mad man with a pregnant chick sitting in the passenger seat." I mumbled.

"Babe, I wasn't even going that fast." He said quietly.

"Oh, alright Mr. Goes 125 mph down the freeway." I huffed.

"Oh ... well ... " He trailed off, scratching the back of his head. "I guess you're right." He said softly. "I'm sorry babe; I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to get you to your appointment on time."

"Hmpf."

I folded my arms in front of my chest, and turned a little to the side so that I was facing towards the window rather than Matt. He sighed heavily and removed his arm from my shoulders to try to work my arms apart and grab hold of my hand.

"Don't Matt." I mumbled.

"Lauren, I said I was sorry." He said softly. "Now quit being a grouch and let give me your hand."

"I'm pregnant; I can be a grouch whenever I damn well please." I retorted.

"But not to me." He said childishly.

"Yeah, and why not?" I asked, turning around to look at him.

I almost wish I hadn't because I came face to face with a pair of sad puppy dog eyes.

"Because you love me, mucho mucho." He said.

I raised an eyebrow and in turn he stuck out his bottom lip ever so slightly.

"Matt." I whined. "Don't."

The sad puppy dog eyes got even bigger.

"Ugh, Mattie, fine." I sighed, finally giving in.

Almost as soon as the words left my mouth the puppy dog eyes were gone and were replaced by a little smirk as Matt pulled me onto his lap. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders as he placed a little kiss on my cheek before he kissed my lips.

"Um ... Lauren Baker?" A voice called from behind us.

I detached my lips from Matt's and looked over my shoulder, spotting a nurse standing in the doorway holding what must have been my chart.

"We're ready for you, sweetheart." She said, giving me a soft smile.

With a little help from Matt, I stood up and started off towards the nurse with Matt holding my hand right beside me. The nurse led us down the hallway and into a room at the very end. She directed me to take a seat on the bed and Matt sat down on a chair sitting beside it while the nurse bustled around, doing whatever it was she was supposed to be doing.

"Well, Dr. Stokes should be in with you pretty soon." She said, having finished up her stuff. "A couple of patients before you cancelled so won't have to wait too long."

Matt and I both mumbled 'alright' as the nurse disappeared through the door. I sat there on the bed dangling my legs around while Matt was picking at something on his hand. I smiled a little to myself and reached over, nudging his side a little with my foot.

"Yo, what was that for?" He asked, giving me a funny look.

I shrugged my shoulders and did it again, but this time Matt grabbed my shoe and pulled it off, tossing it across the room.

"Yo, what was that for?" I asked, mimicking him.

He shrugged his shoulders and flashed me a smirk. I opened my mouth to say something but just then Dr. Stokes decided to walk in.

"Hello Lauren." He said, smiling at me before he turned to Matt. "And hello Matt. How are you two doing today?"

"Good." Matt and I replied at the same time.

"Good, good." Dr. Stokes said. "So today I'm just going to do an ultrasound to make sure the baby is fine. And also, if you'd like, I'd be able to tell you what you're having."

I bit my lip and looked at Matt, mouthing the words, 'do we'. He thought about it for a couple of seconds before he let a little smile cross his lips and nodded his head rather violently.

"Yes, we'd like to know." I grinned, looking back to Dr. Stokes, who was now setting up the machine ... thing. [I'm stupid, I don't know what it's called]

"Okay, hun, why don't you go ahead and lay down?"

I did as I was told while Matt scooted his chair around to where I could see him and hold his hand. A few minutes later I was looking at the screen, seeing my baby moving around.

"Mattie, do you see that?" I whispered, squeezing his hand slightly.

"Yeah, sweetie." Matt whispered back. "I see."

"Alright Lauren, it looks like you're carrying a boy." Dr. Stokes said, examining the screen.

"A boy?" I grinned. "You hear that Matt?"

"Yes babe, my eye sight and hearing is just as good as ever." He laughed.

"Shush."

"So, have you two been doing any shopping for the baby?" Dr. Stokes asked as he continued to examine the screen.

"Actually yeah, we just went shopping today for everything." Matt replied.

"Everything but clothes." I added.

"Well, it looks like ... " He trailed off, frowning slightly.

I felt my heart drop slightly.

Is it normal for a doctor to be frowning like that during a check up?

" ... Like what?" Matt asked slowly, obviously not liking that frown either.

"It looks like you're going to have to go back and get another one of everything you bought today." Dr. Stokes finally said, turning towards us.

"What?" I asked, giving him a funny look.

"Holy shit." I heard Matt mumble beside me. "You mean ... we're gonna have twins?"

"Yup." Dr. Stokes smiled. "Congratulations. They both look healthy as can be."

"I ... twins?" I asked. "A-Are you sure?"

"Lauren, I've been doing this for twenty years." Dr. Stokes laughed as he cleaned the 'stuff' off of my belly. "I'm sure. Oh yeah, and they're both boys."

Boys, huh? Great, I'm going to be trapped in a house full of boys. Hopefully they don't get their father's stubbornness.

"So." Matt said, helping me sit up. "What's next, babe?"

"Um ... back to the mall?" I asked.

He let out a little laugh.

"The mall, it is." He said, taking my hand and helping me off the bed.

All my life I dreamed about the day I'd get to start my own family but it was a dream I thought would never come true. Yet here I was engaged to the best man ever and carrying not only one but two healthy babies. Honestly, I don't deserve half of what I have now, what with the skeletons I have in my closet, but I had a feeling that sooner or later everything I've ever done wrong was going to come back on me in one way or another.