I Saw Your Heart as It Overtook Me

Why Can't My Son Date Someone Like You?

Before we actually started to get into our movie marathon we decided to have dinner. I voted that we'd just order some pizza but Zacky voted that I'd cook spaghetti. Yeah, guess who won.

After we got done eating spaghetti Zacky actually volunteered ... yes, volunteered ... to do the dishes while I went upstairs to get changed. Once I got to the room, I closed the door behind me and stripped down to my bra and panties and wandered over to the dresser, looking for some comfy clothes.

I spotted my pair of My Little Pony pj bottoms [hey, fuck off yo, My Little Pony was and still is the fucking shit, aight?] and pulled them out of the drawer. The bedroom door open and closed behind me and I turned around, seeing Matt standing by the door, looking shyly at me.

Sometimes I wished he wouldn't be so damn shy like that; it was almost like I made him nervous and for some reason it made me very self conscious. I'm not exactly sure how to explain why it made me feel like this but it did.

I flashed him a quick smile before I pulled on my pj pants and a lavender tank top.

"You ready babe?" I asked, grabbing my pillow before I went over to join him by the door.

"U-uh ... I was gonna change into some shorts real fast." He said.

I laughed a little bit as he walked past me and over to his side of the dresser, stripping down to his boxers. Although I didn't really like it too much when he was so shy, I still couldn't help but find it, well, cute I guess. I don't know ... leave me alone.

"Baby, I'm gonna go save us a spot." I said, motioning towards the door.

Matt glanced up at me and nodded his head, looking back down at the drawer that held his shorts.

A few minutes later Matt came into the living room, where everybody else had already settled, packing our entire comforter with him. I shot him a weird look and sat up.

He lay down on the couch and turned on his side, pulling me down to lie on my side as well with my back to his chest. He took my pillow and fluffed it up some for me before he sat it down so I could lay my head on it. Next he took the comforter and straightened it out, making sure I was fully covered by it before covering himself.

"Aww, what a gentleman." Syn teased as Matt made himself comfortable.

"Fuck off." Matt mumbled, flipping him the bird before he pulled his arm back underneath the comforter and wrapped it around my waist.

"Fucking fruit." Syn smirked, cuddling back with Lissa.

"You know, a blanket would be nice though." Lissa said casually.

"What? You want me to go get you one hun?" Syn asked, totally turning his tone around.

"Yeah."

"Alright, I'll be right back."

Syn got up and dashed off to go grab Lissa and blanket while the rest of us started laughing.

"Now who's the fucking fruit?" Matt asked when he came walking back in with a couple blankets.

Syn's face turned a soft shade of pink but chose not to answer as he settled himself back with Lissa. Matt continued to laugh to himself, his little giggles making my own body shake because it was pressed flush with his.

Soon, the previews finished rolling and the actually movie started up.

"Great, we get to check out David Bowie's goods for the next hour and a half." Matt mumbled, seeing that they had decided to put on The Labyrinth.

"Yup, so sit back and enjoy it bitch." I whispered, turning a bit so I could reach over and give him a quick kiss.

Well, I intended it to be quick anyway.

"Ugh, stop that." Zacky said, clearly disgusted, throwing some popcorn at me and Matt. "It's weird ... "

I stuck my tongue out at him and gave Matt one last kiss before I turned back towards the TV.

********

I glanced over at the clock and saw that it was nearly 3:30 in the morning. We were right in the middle of watching The Boondock Saints ... well, who ever was still awake was watching it anyway.

Jimmy and Alyssa were both passed out on the futon we had set up beside one of the couches, Johnny was passed out underneath the coffee table, curled up with the empty popcorn bowl, and Syn and Lissa had disappeared into one of the rooms a long time ago.

It was just me, Matt, Amber, and Zacky still awake and conscious. However, it was only me and Matt actually watching the movie; Zacky and Amber were in the middle of some hardcore make out session.

I buried my head further down into my pillow, trying to get those two out of my sights because come on, I was getting a little weirded out seeing my brother and his fiance making out like there was no tomorrow.

"Dude, you guys take that into one of the bedrooms." I finally said, throwing some random sock at them.

The balled up sock bounced off the side of my brothers head and he pulled away from Amber, shooting me a dirty look.

"Piss on you, you party pooper." Amber smirked, getting off of Zacky's lap, pulling him up behind her.

"You kids be safe." Matt said as they walked out. "Use protection."

"Yeah, back at ya." Amber called back.

"Please don't encourage them." I heard Zacky mumble as their footsteps faded up the stairs.

I rolled my eyes and focused back on the movie checking out the lovely Norman Reedus [I seriously think that man is very fucking attractive ... you gotta love him in Blade 2]. Soon I felt Matt's hand wandering a bit and before long it found its way underneath my tank and rested flat on my stomach.

"Baby?" He asked softly. "Er ... One more thing about my mom ... " He trailed off, making me turn to look up at him.

"Yeah?"

"She can be very, er ... rude and blunt about things ... So, try not to take whatever she says to heart, please."

I nodded my head.

"Lissa already warned me about her." I said quietly. "I'm not making any promises Matt, but if she really hits a nerve, I'm just gonna be straightforward with her, regardless of how rude it may come off to be."

Matt sighed, caressing my stomach gently with his thumb.

"But just know that no matter what she says, or whatever you say back to her, I'll still love you babe." He said sincerely.

I smiled up at him, placing my hand on the side of his face to bring him down into a kiss just as the brothers were saying the MacManus family prayer in the background.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee, my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritu Sancti."

Matt slowly ran his tongue around my lips, waiting anxiously for permission. Just as I parted my lips and let him in I heard an impatient sigh coming from below the coffee table.

"Please, please don't start anything down here." Johnny mumbled.

"You're just jealous sewer boy 'cause you ain't got nobody to give lovin' to." Matt retorted, pulling away from me.

Johnny began muttered incoherent words under his breath, curling up into the fetal position as Matt sat up, helping me up as well.

"Aww, don't worry Johnny. I'm sure you'll find somebody soon enough." [Hint, hint people.]

"The only way Johnny will ever get a woman is if he paid them ... even then I wouldn't guarantee anything."

I slapped Matt's bare stomach as I stood up, giving him my evil eye to hint for him to quit being a punk ass.

"Good night Johnny." I said, pulling Matt across the living room towards the stairs.

"Good night Lauren." He said quietly, probably on the verge of falling back asleep.

I looked up at Matt, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" He mumbled.

"Aren't you gonna tell your friend goodnight?" I asked.

"No." He said blankly.

"Just quit being a little bitch and tell him goodnight."

"No." He said walking past me and up the stairs.

What a stubborn little whore, I thought to myself, I seriously would like to know where he picked that up at. Little did I know that in a weeks time I'd discover exactly where that came from.

****************

I sat in my brother's living room, fiddling nervously with my thumbs as I sat on the couch. I took no notice to the storm that was raging like a motherfucker outside, nor did I take notice to talk that was taking place around me.

It was Thanksgiving day and every body was here expect for my mom and Matt's parents. We were just waiting for them to get the dinner started.

Although it was noisier that a daycare filled with a bunch of sugar induced four year olds, it all seemed so quiet to me. I've never been this nervous about meeting someone before. I mean, dude, this was my boyfriends parents I was going to meet; one of whom already hated me.

Suddenly, the sound of the doorbell went off, cutting me abruptly from my thoughts. Seeing as how I was the closet to the door I got up to answer it, silently praying that it was my mom. However, as soon as I opened the door my heart automatically began beating in my throat.

"H-hello Mrs. Sanders." I stuttered but some how managed a smile.

"Hello dear, how are you?" She asked, returning the smile as she and Mr. Sanders stepped inside.

"I'm fine, thanks." I said politely. "Um, we haven't me-"

"Could you do me a favor and hang my coat please?" She asked politely, acting as if she didn't even interrupt me.

"Oh, yeah, sure." I said, my smile fading a bit as she handed me her coat.

I offered to take Mr. Sanders' coat as well and hung them up in the hallway closet where everybody else's were while they went and started to 'mingle' with everyone else. I cursed at Matt inside my head as I walked back down the hallway to join them as well.

He and Zacky had gone to the store for a few little things we needed before we actually ate.

I walked into the living room and took a seat besides Amber on the couch, which ironically was directly across from where Mrs. Sanders was sitting.

"So, Amber." She said, raising her voice so she could be heard above the noise. "The big day's coming up pretty soon, right?"

"Yeah." Amber nodded, smiling like a maniac about it.

"Where is Zacky anyway?"

"Oh, he and Matt had to run to the store real fast."

"Ah ... Matt ... " Mrs. Sanders trailed off, frowning slightly. "I would really like to know what he's thinking hanging around with that Baker girl."

I wouldn't be surprised if Amber and Papa Gates (who was sitting on the other side of me) heard my stomach hit the floor.

I didn't know if she seriously wasn't able to tell I was Zacky's sister or if she recognized me right of the bat and was just saying this to get to me.

I bit my lip and stared at the floor, trying to ignore the surprised look Amber was giving me.

"I swear, you remember when she put her mom in the hospital right? Their story for the doctors was that she fell down the stairs, ha, we all know what a lie that was. He doesn't need to be with someone like that. If you ask me he should have just stayed with Val; at least we wouldn't have to worry about her running around on him."

"Actually, ma'am, that's why your son broke up with Val in the first place." Alyssa spoke up. "He found out that Val was cheating on his with one of his so called 'friends' so he broke things off between them."

"Oh, well ... " Mrs. Sanders trailed off, looking a little flustered. "Still, Lauren Baker? She couldn't possibly give my son all the love he deserves and I highly doubt she deserves half of the things he does for her."

There was a slightly silence during which mostly everybody glanced in my direction.

"Not to be rude, or anything Mrs. Sanders, but isn't it a bit harsh to be so judgmental of someone you've never even met before?" I asked quietly.

"I assure you, dear, this girl isn't worth getting to know."

"That may be your opinion" I replied, feeling my cheeks start warm up a little. "But I was brought up to not judge a person by what others may say or believe about them, but rather wait until I got to sit down and actually talk to them. It's only then that you can really create your own views about them and determine whether or not they're 'worth getting to know.' Even then someone else may disagree with you but at least you'll feel better knowing that you can base your opinion upon your own experience rather than what someone else had told you."

I didn't realize it at the time but everyone was now staring intently between Mrs. Sanders and me, including Matt, Zacky, and my mom. Mrs. Sanders stared at me with no emotion whatsoever on her face so I couldn't tell if she was mad, happy, upset ... fuck amused by what I had said.

Slowly a smile started to form at the corners of her mouth.

"I like you ... " She said, still smiling at me. "Why can't my son date someone like you?"

There were a couple snickers here and there, most likely coming from Johnny and JB.

"Um ... he is dating me."