Status: 30 day challenge

Thirty Times

ex-love.

Lane,

It's quite amazing how sweet you were to me and how funny and obsessive (at some points) you were as well. Maybe this isn't the most interesting of letters but I am grateful to have met you when I moved to North Carolina. I'm actually really glad our parents met.

Since we were really little we were great friends, and I always had a thing for you. But of course, you were always too busy with your guitars to love me like I loved you (well, how much love I could give you anyway. I was only six or seven). I remember one time when we were about eight years old, you and I were in my backyard standing on the sand. We were looking out at the lake and you were putting your feet in, insisting that we were on an ocean right now. I tried to tell you that it was a lake, but you were being stubborn and wouldn't listen to me.

Then after our argument we went inside my house and hung out with Debby in my room. Debb and I decided to dress you up and you agreed to model for us. I can honestly say I don't remember a bit of that at all but Debby apparently remembers it quite well so I just took her word for it. And I believe it; you were a fruity kid.

When you were ten and I was eleven I still liked you. I remember we actually went out for about a week (and technically it wasn't even going out, since we were just little kids and never saw each other since you lived about an hour away). You'd call me and play some guitar for me, even though you were really shy. I thought you were the best guitarist in the world (but that was before I started listening to music like Jimi Hendrix and Guns N' Roses), and you were so humble about it. But I truly believed that you were the best. Then you'd ask me to sing, so I sang. Never have I been a good singer, but you loved it when I sang.

But of course, we grew up. You became interested in other girls and I became interested in others, too. I never could get rid of that attraction for you, though. I even wrote a poem about it. One day, though, you asked if I wanted to go to Carowinds, so of course I said yes. I still had feelings for you.

At Carowinds my heart beat faster than it ever had, and I felt butterflies everywhere. Lane, you were the first person I fell in love with, even if it was kiddie love. I still loved you. Every time you looked at me and smiled, I felt myself lose control of everything inside of me and I would just melt into the ground. You always picked me up, of course, with your pretty brown eyes. They made me even more in love with you.

When we were in line for a ride that spun around in circles upside down really fast, I knew what I wanted to do. So I sauntered up to you, swinging my hips as I did so. Your eyes bugged out of their sockets and I smiled. You did too. We got in that ride and did things I had never done with anyone else before that. I think were were about thirteen when that happened. When we got out you pinched my butt. I giggled and pinched yours back.

Now we never talk.

I wonder why.

Love,
Me