Sequel: Inside Your Eyes
Status: Completed!

Weapon of Choice

Masked Emotions

The next two weeks I examined everything Lisa ate. From when the food was bought to the preparation, I watched everything. "Why are you into all the food we have?" one of the maids asked me.

"I just want to know what I'm eating. You know how the waiters at restaurants spit in your food when you aren't looking right?" She gave me a look saying 'I want to spit in your food right now' and I resumed watching her prepare dinner.

"Maya!" Lisa called me, "Maya come here!"

I looked over my shoulder then to the food, "Fine," I walked backwards out the door staring at the maid, "I'm watching you..."

"There you are Maya. Why are you always in the kitchen?"

"No reason...except I think my dinner will have an extra ingredient in it now."

"Extra ingredient? Like rosemary?"

"More like spit..."

"Oh the maids wouldn't do that! Have a little faith in them," she motioned me to follow her into her room, "Remember that masquerade Bruce invited us to?"

"Oh! I had forgotten," I lied. It was the main focus of The Joker when I gave him the information about it earlier. Word had reached his ear that half the police patrol were going to attend, meaning a flurry of Batman suspects would be there.

"Well, I was thinking about our outfits and I had to get this for you!" she pulled out a mask, "Well try it on!"

I brushed my hand over the white porcelain, looking at the different Victorian patterns of black swirling around it, "Is that a real sapphire?" I touched the dangling jewel at the top of the mask.

"Of course it is! Oh and though the flower is fake, it models after the moon flower."

I traced the outline of the white blossom, "It blooms at night, interesting," I smiled and tied the black ribbon behind my head, "How does it look?"

"Beautiful! I've always been a fan of the half facial mask! I got mine too!" she pulled out a silver and red mask with rubies placed over the cheeks. We both modeled ourselves in front of the mirror when Jennings' came in.

"Oh Fred, you're joining us to the masquerade?" Lisa ran over and hugged him.

He pulled out a small black mask, "Of course!"

She hugged and kissed him. I grimaced at the sight. It was all a lie, and I needed to make her see that he was fooling her. If I tell her, she wouldn't believe me, but if she saw that he was doing this to her, maybe she'd see.

Jennings' looked at me, "I see you are coming too. The mask fits you very well!" he smiled at me in an attempt at his innocent charm.

"Yes, I am looking forward to it," I smiled back. It sickened me that I had to play the happy game and put on a smile, but Jennings' still thought I was unaware of his intentions.

Lisa looked at her watch, "The party starts in three hours. After dinner do you want to come to the salon and get beautified?"

I couldn't help but say yes.

Dinner wasn't anything special, just a starter salad followed chicken breast and mashed potatoes. I suspected there was something in my potatoes but ate them anyway. The wine at the party would make me forget. I felt sorry for Lisa after that, she had to be sober throughout the party.

We walked to the Pontiac Solstice, "Pierre should be excited to see you!"

"Why?"

"You're kidding me right? He has a paper that has an article about your run in with Batman."

I had forgotten about the little bet we had earlier that day, "Oh my...wait does that mean I get a free styling? Batman didn't seem to fall for me that night."

"You forget he saved your life and said he would see you 'in the future'. He may not be in love with you, but he is taken by you!"

"You talked to Pierre didn't you?"

"Maybe a little..." she giggled and started the car.

***********************************

We got to the salon and the woman at the front desk directed us toward Pierre's station. I sat down in the chair and awaited his appearance.

It wasn't long before he waltzed up to me holding a paper, "Someone has a little story to tell!" he smiled at me.

I gave an embarrassed grin, "Honestly, how many people read the paper now?" He gave me the paper and I scanned over the article, "Well, this dramatized everything...the Joker did not make any sexual advances, and though Batman did save me, I did not promise my love to him," I started to laugh, "Where do the journalists get this stuff?"

"Eyewitness accounts, and they always put extra flare in there," he combed my hair, "Why didn't you talk to any?"

"She stayed in her room for two days straight!" Lisa commented.

"And I'd rather stay out of the media. They would've twisted my story even more if I had of done anything."

"Well, since the article is true except for the juicy parts, it seems I owe you a haircut since Bruce Wayne nor Batman seem to have fallen head over heels for you. What do you think would be best?"

"Well, I'm going to a masquerade that Mr. Wayne is throwing tonight."

"A masquerade...Hmmm," he stepped back, "We'll do down today. Maybe a weave? Word is that a certain billionaire loves long hair down."

I put my hands in the air, "Work your magic!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it!
Comments appreciated!