Status: Complete; Comments, please?; Foralog?

Roaring Thunder

Chapter Eleven: Ally

The cold winter was growing nearer, as it was so late in fall. Halloween was just around the corner, and Alison was a nervous-wreck. Donovan hadn’t shown himself since that fight, which what I think is making her so edgy. That is until David explained to me about the history of Halloween …

“So, you mean to tell me that Alison can see ghosts?”, I ask, shaking my head. We’re dead! Of course we’re gonna see ghosts! I think.

“She may be dead, Melody, but she’s a witch. She can call on the elements during the celebration of Hollow’s Eve, all things good.”, David says, rolling his eyes. “And she knows it.”

“So, she’s not at all worried about Donovan? Who is still on the loose?”

“That’s part of it. You have to understand, Melody. This is the first Halloween where she celebrates it as a witch. Not a Riddle, or anything else. A maiden witch.”

“Which would be a lot easier if there was another witch around.”, Alison grumbles, rolling her eyes. “I don’t have a clue how to celebrate it. And I’m out of control!”, she points her finger, and giant flames flew out as her eyes went wide. “Ohmyfinggod! That’s the tenth time today!”

“Damn it, Alison! Stop it!”, Kevin says, standing up and away from the flames, as mostly everyone did the same.

“I wish I could,” Alison says, panicking obviously. “I’ve been doing stuff like this for the past month!”

“Damn, are you really that helpless.”, someone says, as the flames die in his grasp. “I figured you would’ve known how to kill a couple of flames.”

“I never learned how to even set things on fire, Donovan.”, she growls angrily, stepping away from him.

“Hey! I’m clean!”

“I’ll believe that when heaven sets aflame.”

“That could be arranged.”

“Get out of here,” she growls, glaring daggers at him. “Take your good for nothing ass back to wherever you came from, and stay there.”

“You need help with the Solstice, I need a place to crash.”

“I’d rather burn in flames.”, Alison snarls, as I hold her back from attacking.

“Calm down, Al,” I say quietly, glaring at him. “Go.”

“You can’t keep a witch from the most powerful Solstice.”

“Oh, and like you’d know anything about that.”, Kevin snarls furiously.

“More than you,” Donovan was pushing his luck. And I was just thinking Kevin and Alison have reached their limits … then Rain shows up.

“I’LL MURDER YOUR SORRY-ASSES!!!!!!!!”, Alison snarls. I felt fire where my hands restrained her, and immediately let go, shocked as fire flamed out of her hands. It was at an impossible height, and it hurt to look at it. I cover my eyes with my hand, but the flames heat made me feel like screaming. The flames were a scorching white — which I never knew was possible — as it sprang higher and higher, to the point where I questioned its existents.

Then it stopped.

It was sudden. It seemed impossible that flames like that could just stop. I no longer felt the heat of it against my skin. The brightness of it no longer blinded me, and the smells of intoxicating smokes still lingered very faintly.

Alison was storming away quickly, which I had soon realized she was running in panic. Her palms were smoking with the thick black smell of burning, and she kept her face hidden behind her hair as she made her escape.

“What’s up with the witch?”, Raine snickers.

“Oh, Raine, I didn’t know you were coming. I would’ve burned the stakes.”, I snicker, smirking. “Hollow’s Eve is coming up. The Solstice.”

“And the most powerful one of them all. Where a witch is at her full power.”, David says, rolling his eyes. “As shown to you about five seconds ago.”

“Really? I thought she had anger issues.”, Raine sneers.

“Do you want to be punched in the face?”, I ask, glaring.

“I’ll burn the fire,” Alison growls, revealing her thick smoking palms, where two flames appeared — which I noticed that they were mimicking her eyes. “Make it quick. I don’t have all day to wait to punch you in the face.”

“Alright, fine. We’re staying here for the rest of the year.”, Raine snickers.

“HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!”, Kevin snarls, glowering. “Set that fire, Alison!!!”

“Why? So I can be trialed again? I don’t think so.”, Alison glares at him.

“Dad always did have horrible judgment,” David grumbles.

“Oh, I forgot you had royalty with you.”, Raine growls, glaring. “Must suck to be with a bunch of losers, Prince David.”

“Will I get trialed if I burn her?”, Alison growls, glancing at David.

“Nope. Carry on with your burning.”

“Then this’ll be fun,” and fire shot out of her hands. Raine dodged it, surprisingly, backing up — then she was frozen like a block of ice. I stare wide-eyed, my mouth hanging agape in astonishment. Alison closed my mouth, rolling her eyes.

“Very nicely done,” Donovan says, nodding in approval. “She’s as solid as ice.”

“That’s because she is ice,” Alison rolls her eyes, as they change back to their raven-feather colors.

“How?”, Kevin asks, tapping Raine’s head, where her glare was clear and visible. “Just a minute ago you nearly set her on fire. I was looking forward to watching my sister burn, by the way.”

“Always showing the love, bro,” Josh says sarcastically, rolling his eyes. “Ooh! Can we throw her into the ocean?”

“No,” Alison says gravely, concentrating. Raine’s ice-cube confinement slowly begins melting, and she makes a move to attack Alison, before I kicked her in the stomach, sending her doubling over in pain.

“Aw, what was that for?”, Raine growls.

“For killing my friend.”, I say gravely, glaring at her.

“Whatever. She got what she deserves.”

“And you don’t know the whole story. None of you do.”, Alison glanced at Donovan for only a split second, as she looked around.

“I was there. I think I know the whole thing.”

“You don’t hardly know half of what happened,” she growls, glowering up at him. “Were you there when I set hell on fire? No. Were you there when I met David? No. Were you there when everyone died?! NO!”

“Thanks to a lovely somebody.”

“Who wishes every frickin’ second that she hadn’t.”, Alison’s restraint was running thin. She was beyond furious with Donovan. The flames took up her entire eyes to prove it.

“Yeah, but I bet you didn’t know that we’re expecting some unwelcome guests.”

“Actually, I did. Thank you for reminding me.”

“And you don’t care?”

“Oh, I care. The future isn’t engraved in stone, Donovan. They could change their minds any second. They could realize that they’re chasing after the wrong person. If, you know, a certain someone were to convince them.”

“Mind giving us a name?”

“Okay, lets make this easier for you: Who’s the best liar?”

“You?”

“Wrong.”

“Me?”

“Give the boy a prize!”, Alison says sarcastically, rolling her eyes. “You convince them that they’ve got the wrong person, and I’ll consider that deal you mentioned.”

“Fine. But only because there’s a chance that they’ll kill you.”

“I’d sooner murder everyone than run back to you.”, she was calm, but not calm enough. Anything could set her off. But I wanted to know about that deal. Something told me that it was probably recent.

“We’ll see,” Donovan smirks, glancing at Martin for a second.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Okay, so what is going on?”, Kevin asks, after a nearly hour-long stare down between Alison and Donovan. They nearly seemed to be having a silent conversation.

“Well, you or me? Who’s gonna tell?”, Donovan rolls his eyes, obviously knowing who was going to tell.

“Well, Donovan first has to pay for his crimes before I say anything.”

“Then I’ll tell them.”

“No, I’ll tell them when you get out.”

“WE DON’T HAVE THAT KIND OF TIME, ALISON!!!!!”, Donovan yells, glaring at her. “We hardly have enough time to argue about this!!”

“Do you want me to hold your hand on the way to hell?”

“What?!!! WHAT DOES HELL HAVE TO DO WITH THIS?!!!”

“If you’re good they let you out early.”

“She’s out of it,” I say, laughing slightly. “She always talks like that whenever she doesn’t hear what you’re saying.”

“She’s probably having a vision. When she screams, she’ll be back.”, Max says, shrugging, waving a hand in front of her face. “What’s my name?”

“Maxwell Jody Teston.”

“Interesting. Does she only answer obvious facts? Or the honest truth?”, Donovan asks.

“Neither,” she says, glaring. “I don’t answer you.”

“And who do you answer to?”, Kevin asks, smirking. “And if his name isn’t Kevin, then you’re in big trouble.”

“What are you? Her dad?”, I ask, hands on hips.

“No,” he rolls his eyes, adding smugly, “Her uncle.”

“He’s —”

“My dead uncle,” Alison grumbles, as Kevin ruffles her hair.

“Who’ll kill you in a heartbeat,” they say together.

“He’s a little psycho.”

“A little?”, Josh and I snort, rolling our eyes in sync.

“Anger must run through your family,” Donovan says, rolling his eyes.

“Oh, shut up!”, they say together. “I don’t wanna hear your crap.”

“Okay, that’s just freaky,” Raine says, glaring.

“That’s called Kevin connecting to something he doesn’t wanna kill every second of his existents.”, Josh says, rolling his eyes. “Or, Alison.”

“I’m special,” she grins. “But not special enough to get away with this!”, and she ruffles his hair, running as he starts chasing her.

“Hey, if I would’ve tried that, he would’ve killed me on the spot.”, Josh says, shrugging. “I say he’s earned some restraint.”

“Gotcha!”, Kevin says, sitting atop of Alison’s back. “What’s my time?”

“Wow,” Donovan says, staring at the two oddly.

“Oh, Donnie, you should really get going to hell. If I go then you go.”, Alison says, as Kevin helps her up.

“I’ll drag him,” Kevin says, shrugging. “If I can drag Josh from China to Greece, then I can drag some dirt bag to hell.”

“No, I think I can wait.”

“Fine, then get lost.”

“Aw, is that any way to treat a guest?”, we all glance around at each other, shrugging.

“You have yet to be considered a guest.”

“But I’m here?”

“Doesn’t make you welcome,” Martin says, standing beside Alison, wrapping an arm around her waist. “Not unless Alison gives us the okay.”

“Hell no,” Kevin growls, baring his teeth.

“He’s in charge. Now, get! We don’t want you here!”, Alison says, shooing him away with her hands. “Go on, get!”

♠ ♣ ♠

After awhile, Donovan left. But not without making a dramatic exit. He had threatened us that he’d be back, and that we’d be wishing that we had listened to him. Alison snorted, rolling her eyes. But something told me that she knew something more.

“He’s right,” Alison sighs, sitting down sadly, as we all took our seats at the dining table.

“What exactly is wrong?”, Kevin asks gravely.

“I’m … not sure. There’s holes. Whoever they are, they know what I do. They seem to know that I won’t look into what they’ve got planned until I know they’re a direct threat.”, she sighs, adding gravely, “And Donovan knows how to convince people, human or not. He knows his way around loopholes. He knows how to lie so convincingly that everyone questions the meaning of truth. He’s good at spying on people without them noticing, collecting information.”

“So, he’s always one step ahead of everyone?”, I ask, raising an eyebrow. She was making him sound like some trickster, like someone who could completely socialize with everyone and act like he has an everyday life, when in reality he’ll be gone in the next second doing something completely unbelievable … or maybe he was really like that?

“He’s one step ahead of everyone. He knows things that I can’t even begin to imagine. He knows the next breath all of us take, basically. He knows how we fight. Which is bad.”, she was grim, glancing around. “He knows our every weakness and strength. He knows how to get inside of our heads, turn us against one another. He can manipulate all of us within three seconds flat.”

“So, he could basically use us as his little puppets?”, Josh asks uncomfortably.

“Did it once,” she shrugs. “Wow, I didn’t think he’d actually do it!”

“What did you see?”, Martin asks, rolling his eyes. He had probably already seen it, seeing as how he was holding her hand under the table.

“Donovan’s in hell, trying to convince them that he didn’t do any of the things he did. Oh, no — ooh,” she winces, her eyes still fogged as she continues with her vision, “Sit, David! Nobody’s hurt … gosh, everyone’s idiots.”

“What’s going on?”, Kevin, Josh, and I ask all at once.

“Oh, she’s watching Donovan’s trial.”, Martin grumbles. “So far, they’re annoying him. And his temper is running short …”

“If he explodes I’m gonna —,” David was angry.

“Relax, David. He’s fighting to keep his cool.”

“If he blows it he’ll be killed,” Alison stood up, pacing quite fast. “He shouldn’t be doing this! He’s gonna kill himself … OH, NOT THE KING!!!”, she winces, continuing her pacing. “One wrong move … one mistake … and he’s dead …”

“Why are you so worried?”

“Because I have my reasons.”, I was growing used to that lie. Oh, here comes the second one: “It’s nothing.”

“Liar,” I laugh, receiving a glare. “Don’t hate because I recognize your lies!”

“I wasn’t lying. It’s. Nothing.”, ah, stubbornness and denial. “Oh, no, no!! Ah, great! This is just great!”, she paces twice as fast. “Great, great … lets see … spiritual communication …”, and she was out. Martin caught her right before she hit the ground, as we all exchanged looks.

“Alison?!!!”

“Don’t wake her up. She’s gonna try fixing something that nobody can.”, David rolls his eyes. “To be honest, I think death isn’t good enough for him. I mean, from the lies to the attacks. The dude is obsessed.”

“What are you talking about?”, Kevin asks, generally curious.

“Oh, she didn’t tell you all.”, David chuckles, shaking his head. “Donovan and her were a thing when she was little.”

“David,” I hiss, glaring.

“What? They have a right to know what he promised her. The poor thing was torn into pieces.”, David was close to having my handprint on the side of his face. He was pushing his limit. He may have been there, but he had no right to tell people something that personal about Alison. “Donovan was her first love. He promised her anything she wanted. If she asked for the world, he would’ve given it to her in a heartbeat. He practically proposed to her at age five.”, he chuckles, and my hand twitches as I prepare to slap that pretty face of his. “He was hoping that she’d live till she was seventeen. Either that or he’d turn her.”

“What exactly is Donovan?”, I ask, glancing at Alison, as Martin walks away, looking sickened.

“I’m not really sure exactly what he is. But whatever he is, he’s powerful. Dad remembers him fairly well. He promised her that she’d never die, and that she’d just wake up like that.”, he shrugs, leaning back. “I think he told her everything so often that he started believing it.”

“No, it’s definitely more than that, David. I think he wasn’t feeding her a lie. At the time. I think he was just so attached to her, and believed in her so much … he thought they would live. He was right. But he hadn’t expected for her to die at thirteen.”, I say, rolling my eyes.

“You knew?!!!!”, Kevin growls, standing up.

“I asked her, she told. You should try it.”, I smirk, rolling my eyes.

“You do know that he kept contact with her, visited her every year steadily. Every year turned into every month once Melody died, turned into every day when Sophie died. The only problems were he couldn’t ever stay too long. Demons have good smell.”, David smirks, adding calmly, “He was obsessed.”

♠ ♣ ♠

Well, it’s Halloween. Alison’s been doing all this weird stuff — like setting random things on fire, freezing things into solid blocks of ice, making the ground shake, and others of the sort. Martin has also been avoiding her, as Kevin’s angry beyond belief. And as for Alison herself … moody. On the outside. Inside, I know she’s torn. Duncan has forbidden Alison to even glance at Sophie, which is taking a huge toll on her. Nearly everyone hasn’t even been able to look at her.

And I’m close to killing David for doing that. If he hadn’t just kept his mouth shut …

“Hey, where’s Alison?”, David asks, staring around the table.

“Maybe she’s with Donovan,” Kevin grumbles, stabbing at his food before I can yell at him.

“Maybe she ran away because someone couldn’t keep their mouth shut about a certain something that happened when she was five. And she completely couldn’t care less if he burned right this second.”, I say, glaring at David.

“Sure didn’t seem like it,” Martin mutters, keeping his eyes on his food.

“That’s it. I’m out of here.”, I say angrily, standing up. “I can’t take it anymore! You all are freaking out over something that happened a long time ago. She’s changed since then. And if you all don’t believe me, then may you rot in the flames of hell.”, I say as sweetly as possible. “Because guess what? She’s gonna be gone before we know it.”

“Maybe I already left,” Alison grumbles, staying a few yards away from us. “I know I wish I had. I hate Donovan for all the crap he put me through. Thanks to him, I can say I know what it’s like to be betrayed. I can tell people that I’ve burned in hell because someone threw me down the hole with my friends, wishing us luck as he ran off to who-cares-where.”, she rolls her eyes, grimacing. “We weren’t engaged. He’s just a lying piece of crap, who happens to be good at it. And he’s valuable in what you’re expecting.”

“Mind sharing with us about that now?”, Kevin growls.

“Why should I? You and Martin obviously hate my guts, I’m no longer allowed to see my sister, and the rest of you can’t even stand to glance at me. For all I care, I’m no longer apart of this little group anymore.”, she keeps her poker-face, adding through her teeth, “And I’m already starting to fade.”

“I thought that was only a rumor.”, Josh says, looking up from his breakfast.

“Nope. Once someone has been kicked out of the Riddles, or refuses to do their initiation, they will disappear. And since you all seem to hate me, I’m fading. I’m no longer considered a Riddle.”

She said it with such fake-enthusiasm, walking away quickly, as I nearly slap Kevin when he starts smiling. Okay, who am I kidding? I slapped him as hard as I could.

“I wish there was a word for you right now.”, I growl, glowering at him. “She’s practically attempting suicide!”

“Not like Donovan won’t come to the rescue,” and I slap Martin.

“You’re both insane! You all are! Even if Donovan and Alison were engaged, do you think she’d still go through with it after all he put her through?”

“Maybe,” Martin got slapped again.

“YOU’RE SUCH A FRICKIN’ IDIOT, MARTIN!!!!!”, I yell, glaring at him.

“DON’T YELL AT HIM!!!!! SHE LIED TO US ALL!!!!!!!”, Kevin gets slapped again. “WOULD YOU STOP?!!!!!!”

“Not until you all get an answer reasonable.”, I say as sweetly as possible. “Because Alison told me personally that she’d kill him herself if she knew how.”

“How would you know she didn’t lie about that?”, Kevin gets slapped again. I swear, this is turning into some kind of game. “I’m just saying! This isn’t the first time she’s hidden something from us.”

“No, it isn’t. So why all of a sudden hate her? Nobody knows how she thinks better than you, Kevin.”, my hand twitched with an impulse to slap him. “She always does what she thinks is right.”

“And she had convinced herself Donovan’s just some weird nightmare that came too often.”, David says, shrugging, taking a step away from me. That didn’t stop me from slapping him. “What’d I do?!”

“That’s for starting this whole thing.”, I say simply, rolling my eyes.

“What’s up your ass?”, Kevin gets slapped again. He just doesn’t learn …

“You’re gonna end up with my handprint as a tattoo.”

“Give us one reason why we should believe anything she says.”

“Oh, I’ll give you more than one. Her whole life has been centered around Sophie, and now she’s taken away from her. She’s depressed.”, I say, holding up one finger. “Martin’s been her first real boyfriend that she’d trust with her life and Sophie’s.”, I hold up another finger, adding to that quickly, “And probably one of the only people who can get her to say how she feels without choking up.”

“Oh, and she was trying to figure out how to say ‘I love you’ without breaking down or choking up.”, David says, quickly backing up from me. “That counts for about five right there. She practically vowed that she’d never love again.”

“So now she’s sad,” I say, glaring. “And if you’re so frickin’ stupid as to not figure out what this next thing is, I’m gonna do a lot worse than slap you, Kevin.”

“Wouldn’t have a clue if you told me.”

“OH, I’M GONNA MURDER YOUR ASS!!!!!!”, I growl, as Dylan quickly wraps his arms around my waist, holding me back from ripping Kevin’s throat out.

“Kitten, calm down!”

“I’M GONNA MURDER HIM!!!!”

“What I’d do?”

“SHUT UP, KEVIN!!!!!!”, Martin yells, glaring. “YOU’RE JUST SOME LAZY-ASS WHO’S ALWAYS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME DAMN REASON TO GET ANGRY!!!!!!!! AND RIGHT NOW ALISON’S TRYING TO KILL HERSELF BECAUSE WE’RE ALL JUST A COLLECTION OF BASTARDS AND BITCHES WHO CAN’T GET OVER THE PAST!!!!!! UNTIL SHE WALKS DOWN AN AISLE WEARING A WHITE DRESS WITH DONOVAN ON THE OTHER END I’M GONNA TRY AND KEEP HER ALIVE UNLIKE YOUR KING OF BASTARDS ASS!!!!!!!!”

I smile approvingly at him with David, as everyone else gapes. But Kevin was the most shocking. One corner of his mouth was quirked up, in what I’m assuming was a smile.

“There was something that kept me from murdering your good-for-nothing ass. Now I know what that is. You got guts.”, he rolls his eyes, as Martin grins stupidly. “Knock her up, and I’ll murder your ass in a heartbeat, though.”

“Wait, you mean that girls can still get pregnant?”

“Surprise!”, Josh says, pulling him away quickly, covering his ears. “Before you kill him, he’s only thirteen and gets all defensive every time you bring it up.”

“He — her — pregnant — ALISON!!!!!!!”, Kevin yells, standing up. “I swear, if I get her tested and she isn’t a virgin —”

“Even I know she’s a virgin.”, I say, rolling my eyes. “And don’t waste your money. There’s signs if she isn’t.”

“Like?”

“Hold on a second,” I say dismissively, looking around. “ALISON, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!!!! OR I WILL SEND KEVIN AFTER YOUR SORRY ASS!!!!!!”

“I’m here! What’s the emergency?”, Alison gasps, looking up. “Who’s dead? Who got hurt? Where’s the fire? Who got a gun?”

“None of the above,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Are you a virgin?”

“What? Ew! That’s the grossest thing ever! Where did you get that idea?”, she scrunches up her nose, making gagging noises. I study her face a moment, nodding.

“She’s clean,” I say, smirking. “The witch is as innocent as she is psychic.”

“How can you tell?”, Kevin asks, studying us.

“Oh, my grandma taught me.”, I say, shrugging. “My mom said that if I lost it before I was married, she’d murder me till she died.”

“Funny, that’s what I think of the guy if I’m not married.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes.

“And exactly how do you know whether she’s a virgin?”

“Her face. It’s still too young to have done it. And Martin’s defensive, but not defensive enough to be worrying about his life.”, I say, shrugging. “Plus, she didn’t blush.”

“Can we stop talking about my virginity?!”, she snaps, annoyed. “I’d prefer to talk about it when I’m over twenty and getting big.”

“Twenty?!!”

“Twenty five! That’s as high as I’m going, Kevin!”

“Thirty and I won’t kill him.”

“Twenty six.”

“Twenty eight. Take it or leave it.”

“No killing or injuring in any way.”

“I won’t break any major bones.”

“Deal,” they shook on it, and I stare at them oddly.

“You just marked the date that your niece looses her innocence.”, I say, shaking my head.

“Nah, that’s just the date that I get pregnant and Kevin knows I’m not a virgin.”

“I’ll kill him now,” Kevin holds Martin by his collar, lifting him up.

“Hey, I’m not getting in the middle of this!”, Martin says, holding his hands up defensively.

“Too late,” Dylan, Josh, and I say together.

“You got in the middle of that when you came to me asking all those questions about girls.”, Josh says, chuckling.

“And what do I tell you, Martin?”, I ask, gesturing to Josh.

“Don’t listen to Josh about girl-advice and just be yourself.”

“He’s a keeper, Al. He listens. Now put him down, Kevin.”

“What’s the magic word?”

“Fire!”, Alison says chirpily.

“Nooo.”

“You’re the king?”

“Close enough,” and Kevin sets Martin down, who scrambles behind Alison.

“How come I can’t get her to do that?”, Josh whines, as Kevin and I whack him on the back of the head.

“Because he’s her uncle.”, I say, rolling my eyes.

“And because we all know I can kick your butt.”, Kevin says smugly.

“Hold on! I want some popcorn for this!”, Alison grabs a bag of popcorn, sitting down and watching. “Continue.”

“I could kick your butt if I wanted, Kevin.”, Josh says, staring at her oddly, as Martin and I took our seats beside her. Kevin had Josh on the floor in five seconds, making her burst out laughing.

“I love it when I don’t even have to be psychic to predict that downfall.”, she rolls her eyes, spinning around in the diamond-chair, giggling probably from being dizzy. “Weeeeeeeeeeeeee—”

“Mind telling us our danger?”, Kevin asks, stopping her spinning.

“I’ll need Donovan’s help, first off. He’s been an ally for a little bit while in Hell. This time I’m in control, though.”, she grins happily, continuing her spinning. “I’m not exactly sure who the threat is. Donovan goes where instructed, strengthening my connection so I can see clearer.”

“But, he’s an ally?”

“Pretty much. We worked well once. He likes war, wouldn’t pass up a good fight. He was there when I was killed.”, she shakes her head, adding quietly, “One thing I learn from Donovan was that you have to trust what information you have, but be prepared when the fight breaks out. And never get too close, too attached.”

“So, you basically don’t trust us?”, I ask, rolling my eyes.

“Not gonna lie and say I’d trust anyone with my life.”, she laughs slightly, continuing with her crazy spinning. “Nah, I trust y’all. But this is Donovan. I trust what I can get out of him, but I know the meanings behind everything he says. I know his code. He always gives you a little smile whenever dealing with lies about bad news, unless he wants you to join. He’ll manipulate to the point where you question sanity.”

“Honey, I’m home!”, Donovan says sarcastically.

“What are the odds that we were talking about you?”, she mutters. “Whatcha got?”

“Definitely coming, and perfectly aware of who’s in and what not.”

“Ah, they did their homework,” she smirks, rolling her eyes. “Well, merry little angels aren’t getting presents from Santa this year.”