Status: Incomplete

Unraveling the Past

Chapter 4

I sprinted past many blocks until I reached Mrs. Ecin’s house. Mrs. Ecin is like a typical grandmother to everyone and everyone loves her.

“My, Lyla! How great it is to see you! Why don’t you come in for a glass of milk and a plate of chocolate cookies and then talk?” I grinned. She knew I could never resist that.

I entered her kitchen and the sweet smell of chocolate permeated the room. Mrs. Ecin now lived by herself, so she constantly invited neighbors inside her home. I sat down in one of her soft couches as she went inside her kitchen to get a glass of milk and cookies.

The reason I had come to her house was because of the clue from my dream. Mrs. Ecin is old and may know some stuff about laptops, so I decided to come to her house and ask her about it.

“Here are your cookies and milk.” Mrs. Ecin handed the plate of cookies and glass of milk to me. I waited until she settled down into her own chair and then I began to talk while eating a cookie.

“You know, Mrs. Ecin, I’ve been reading in my great-great-great grandfather’s diary and came upon something called a laptop Do you know anything about it?” I didn’t tell her the whole truth. I just didn’t want anyone else to know about my find.

Mrs. Ecin sat back against her chair and her face glowed.

“My, Lyla, I’ve never used one or seen one before, but I’ve heard it’s wonderful! Just wonderful!”

“You see, a long time ago, the people’s technical stuff were much more complicated. Sure, they didn’t have elevators in their house, only in large buildings, but they had many portable stuff that could do almost anything! My great-grandfather was very fond of those items when I was a little kid and he told me many stories about them.”

I was shocked. Better technical stuff than we have now?! No way!

“Mrs. Ecin, you don’t happen to have one, do you? And did your great-grandfather have those items?”

Mrs. Ecin kindly replied, “Oh no, I don’t have any of those items. You see, by the time I was born, the technical stuff were all destroyed and all that remained were memories about it. My grandfather was the only one that passed his memories to the rest of his family members. The rest of the people found it a tragedy that their precious items were destroyed so they didn’t pass on their memories.”

I stopped eating my cookie for a quick second. Who knew the past could be THIS interesting?

“The item you read in your great-great-great grandfather’s diary is one of the most technical items. There were many things it could do but all I can remember about it is that you could play games on it. You just move something called a ‘mouse’ and click this games button that brings you to all the games that you could ever think up of!”

She went quiet for a while then continued speaking, “I wish I could tell you more, my dear, however, that’s all I can remember…..there’s much more great things the laptop can do…”

By this time, we had finished our cookies and milk so I thanked Mrs. Ecin and left. When I walked past her gate, a man brushed past me. Since Mrs. Ecin always has a bunch of visitors, I didn’t pay him much attention and continued on walking towards my house.

When I walked however, I heard a laugh from Mrs. Ecin and heard her say, “What’s all this about laptops?” I froze in my steps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun fact: I couldn't think up of a name for Mrs. Ecin, so in the end, I had it be "nice" backwards xDDD