Count on Me to Count Myself Out

By Morning Her Soul Will Be Gone

Athena opened her eyes and looked around the room, confused as to where she was at. She sat up and saw Matt laying next to her, he seemed to be asleep but all her moving around would probably wake him up soon. She stood and quickly got dressed in to the clothed that were dropped on the floor. She grabbed her shoes and sat back down on the bed to put them on and tie them. Just as she finished up with the first shoe, she looked up to find Matt in his boxers looking down at her.

"Don't tell me you're still leaving." He said.

She scanned her eyes over him but quickly went back to tying her shoe. "Yeah, I have a plane to catch in a few hours."

He put on some jeans and a shirt and looked at her, "Seriously? After last night... you're still going to leave?"

"What did you expect? We fuck, fall in love and get together? You should be used to this, Matt. Think of it as my going away gift to you." She said in a harsh tone as she stood to her feet and headed for the door.

She was able to open it only to have him push it back and shut it loudly, stepping in front of it. "No, no, no. That's not what it was. I know how a slut fucks, and you didn't- you felt different. There was something more, you can't just say it was a one night stand. Did it mean nothing to you?"

"No, Matt. It didn't. I know it was amazing, alright? But a relationship or whatever you wanted just wont come out of this." She argued, wanting to get to the outside. She pushed him out of the way as he pushed her back.

"Why can't you just believe things are different with you?!" He yelled.

"Because you fuck a different girl every single night, because you haven't been able to keep a girlfriend for too long, for being a fucking liar!" She yelled and managed to get him out of the way allowing her to open the door and walk out. The sunlight stung her eyes from being in the dark hotel room.

"Athena, seriously? Just believe me! All I need is for you to trust me!" Matt yelled behind her, he was close to catching up to he4r but she just kept walking, not wanting to hear more.

"I want you! I want you to be mine, I haven't like anyone in so long and I know that I do like you. I promise I'll make things right!" He yelled finally getting her to stop walking right in the middle of an empty street.

Her eyes filled up with tears as she heard everything, she couldn't believe he still hadn't given up. Maybe he did want her, and maybe he was telling the truth. No one in her life had ever sounded as honest as he did just then.

Just as she was about to turn to him, she flew across the street, skidding against the concrete, her face and arms probably scraped. She lay there for a moment trying to figure out what had just happened, but when she looked up she saw Matt on the ground and a car right by him.

What the fuck had happened? She wondered not being able to realize that she almost had gotten run over and if it wouldn't have been for Matt, she would be the one laying on the ground shattered in to pieces.

The lady in the car got out and checked him, looking frantic and scared. She picked up the phone and began talking, going back to her car for something.

Athena got up and ran to Matt dropping to her knees, her mouth agape at the fact of how mangled he looked. His face was scraped, his arm was visibly broken and he had more scrapes and cuts everywhere.

"Oh my fucking god." She said, picking up his head from the ground and laying it on her lap. Her hand had blood on it from the back of his head which scared her half to death. She didn't want to lose him.

Matt slowly picked up his arm and wiped the blood from his mouth. "Fuck..." He managed to whisper, his voice hoarse.

"Don't move." She cried, setting his arm down as gently as she could.

He looked up at her, squinting through the sun that was probably blinding him. "You're bleeding."

"I don't care. Look at you, you could have fucking died. Why'd you do it?" She cried hysterically.

He reached up and wiped her tears, trying not to touch the scrapes on her face. "I wouldn't let anything hurt you."

She held his hand and said, "You're so stupid."

He weakly smiled, "Yeah, I know."