The Point

Safety

Image

You broke your promise to me. On that day in October you promised to me that you were going to get better. It was November by then, and you had slowly begun to get better. Out of seven days a week, you were drunk three; out of those three days you’d beat me only once. I couldn’t care less, at that point, I was glad you were acting somewhat human again.

December came and I told you I wanted to go out. By myself. All of my friends had left town by then, putting me out of their minds for good. I told you I was going Christmas shopping. After spending a day begging and going down on you more than seven times, I left the house for the first time in nine months. The air was crisp, so crisp; unlike our home that smelt of cigarette smoke. For the first time in months I finally smiled. A real smile. I was free. And damn it, did I make the most of it.

I told myself I didn’t want to live with regrets, but I was. After high school I had planned on going to college and going in to publication. You knew I loved reading; you use to buy me a few books a week when we were in high school. Now, you were holding me back from my dreams.

On that day, I first went shopping; like I had told you I was going to. I bought you Christmas gifts and a few new things for me. I was scared to do anything other than what I had told you, but on my walk home it all changed. As I turned the corner from forty-third to fifty-eighth, I saw the building. The large, red bricked building. I hadn’t been outside often, but I knew this building like I knew the back of my hand. Whenever we went out, we’d always walk by this building and never once did I not think about running across the street from you to my escape. As I neared the large building, I almost continued walking for fear that you’d find out. Then I realized, you were still at home.

I looked both ways before crossing and then sprinted across the two-lane road. The building had a weird golden halo around it, and in my mind I couldn’t help but to sing the angels hymn. I felt my lips tug upward and I knew that I finally had my escape.

“One for New York, New York, please.” I smiled at the older man that sat behind the ticket booth. He typed it into the computer and soon, right in front of my hands, a ticket popped out of a slot on the table.

“Forty five, fifty.” The man said to me. I slid the rest of my money across the counter. He took the money and slid the ticket back to me. “Thanks.” My hands were shaking as I grabbed the long piece of paper.

I ran, yes ran, back to our home. I pushed open our door the smell of marijuana hit me as I stepped inside. You were napping on the couch so I took the time to wrap your gifts and place them under the tree that we had just bought a few days ago. I quietly grabbed your small duffle bag that you kept under our bed and started packing the few necessities that I knew I’d need. Money, pants, shirts, boxers and a few of my belongings. I quietly slipped the bag under my side of the bed before walking back out to our living space. You’d never know that I had just packed and was leaving in three days. You’d be too stupid to even check.
You woke up a bit later. I sat at your feet and massaged them. My eyes had traveled your body, starting from your toes up to your eyes. When your eyes met mine, I knew. You were so far gone. No matter how hard you had tried, you were never going to get better. You’re still so far gone.

But love, I was moving on.

Those three days passed quickly. I knew you didn’t have work the day I had bought the ticket for so I knew I’d have to convince you to let me out again. In the end, we ended up getting in an argument. You were screaming at me as I made my way back to our room. I quickly snatched up my bag and calmly walked towards the door.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? I didn’t fucking say you could go out!”

“Dylan, I’m leaving. For good. Hope to see you never.”

“What was that? Fuck no, Austin, get your ass back in here.” I had the door opened by then, one foot out the door, the other foot inside. Suddenly, I was having second chances, I wouldn’t have a roof to sleep under, I wouldn’t have any food to eat or money to buy any necessities. Here, I had everything. You then wrapped your long slender fingers around my wrist in attempt to keep me still. You touched the bruise that you’d recently given me and that’s when I ran. I didn’t need to get attacked by you anymore I needed to be free.

“Wait! Austin! I can change!” You ran out of the apartment after me, but I was already gone. The train was flying down the tracks now, and you were miles away from me. In two more hours, I’d be in my new life. As of right now though, I’ve never felt so alive without you by my side. The muscles in my body that have been tense for months are relaxing, my mind has stopped racing with thoughts of what you’re going to do to me next because I realize that you don’t know where I’m going.

I’ll never regret you, but I’ll always regret the things that you did to me, the people you took me away from. I let my eyes slip close for the first time in ages I can finally sleep without worrying about you.

Two hours later I’m jostled awake by the old woman sitting across from me.

“Honey,” She says, “The train stopped, you need to get up. We’re in New York.” I quickly grab my one bag and walk slowly off the train. I’m here. My feet are moving slowly, and I’m taking in all the sights and smells of the train station. I’m not paying attention to the people around me and I soon run into a body.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” I quickly say while looking down away from the boy I just ran into.

“No, no, it’s my fault. Are you okay? Wait…Austin?” My head snaps up and I look into the bright blue eyes of the male before me.

“R-Ryan?” Suddenly his arms are around me in a tight embrace. “I’ve missed you so much, Ry.”

“I’m not letting my best friend get away from me again, it’s been too long that I haven’t seen or heard from you.” I knew his eyes had already traveled over my body, seeing each and every bruise that Dylan gave me. “We’ve got a lot of catching up to do, don’t we?”

“You could say that.”

“Well, you’re safe now, plus I need a room mate and it seems to me that you need a house.” In this moment, leaving you was the best decision of my life. My lips pull back in a large smile as I hug my best friend. Finally, things are looking up.

I’m so glad I left you behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part two of two.
Written for this contest.
Word count: 1,284