His Own Harley Quinn

One

“Yeah---there’s no way in hell!” Jackie Gibbard said, applying another layer of Lip Gloss to her lips.
Her light blonde hair was pulled back in a tight pony tail with a polka-dot scrunchi, if Bruce Wayne had known any better, he’d say it wasn’t even the same girl!
“If you could just look around,” Bruce insisted.
Jackie scuffed “No, Bruce! This isn’t immature vigilante hour, this is grow a pair and grow up time…I’m not your little puppet—not anymore!” she said, putting her lip gloss down on her vanity.
Bruce sighed “Please?” he asked, quietly.
Jackie shook her head “Look, Bruce, I have to grow up. I’m 18 and I already have a criminal record the size of The Jokers ego. This isn’t an opportunity to be epic and awesome, this is me making it up to the city of Gotham, okay?” she asked.
Bruce knew she was right, being Batman’s right hand was starting to cost Jackie. She had been given one year probation for engaging in violent behavior involving arson and assaulting an officer, Commissioner Gordon to be exact.
“Are you sure this is the way you want to go about this?” Bruce asked, sitting on Jackie’s bed.
Jackie nodded “Yes. I’ve decided that I want to go to college and major in Psychology. I want to figure out why people are the way they are!”
Bruce smirked “Jonathan Crane did the same thing, and look what happened to him: he became psychotic!”
Jackie threw powder on Bruce’s face, his smirk disappeared from his face “I wasn’t mocking anybody!”
“Yes, you were! I’m not one of your flings…I’m Alfred’s Goddaughter. I’m supposed to be family!” she said.
Bruce looked at the teenager “You are!”
“Then why do I get the feeling I’m just your scapegoat? Your alibi? Your excuse?” she asked.
Bruce sighed heavily “Because you’re good at what you do.” He muttered.
Jackie sat down next to Bruce, who took her hand and sighed “You don’t have to do anything that you don’t want. What happened to your parents was tragic and uncalled for, but you don’t have to prove anything to anybody by going to—”
“---I want to. I mean, they could use the help and I could use the insight…I’ve convinced Gordon that this is a learning opportunity worth having even if I could get killed.” Jackie said, taking in a deep breathe and smiling at Bruce Wayne.
“Jackie,” Alfred said, walking into the teenager’s bedroom.
Jackie stood up in her bed, adjusting her dress “Yes, Alfred?” she asked.
Alfred smiled “The car is ready as am I whenever you are, dear.” He said, lacing his hands together as he looked at Jackie.
Jackie nodded “I’m ready, I just need to get my coat.” She said, turning to her vanity and grabbing her light sweater off the back of the chair.
Jackie walked with Alfred down the stairs and towards the car that had been warming up. The cool Autumn days of Gotham were eerie, it had been raining for days, but for a slight moment right then and there, there was no rain to been seen, just soggy leaves.
Alfred let Jackie into the passenger seat of the car, the heater was on full blast and Jackie was pretty sure she could feel her legs thaw from the heat.
Bruce looked at Jackie, he smiled softly and nudged her shoulder “Good luck, see you tonight.” He said.
“Thanks.” Jackie said, shutting the car door and relaxed a bit.

The nerves were hitting hard as Alfred pulled up to the gated asylum. There was no turning back now for Jackie as she turned to Alfred.
“No point wasting anytime, I’ll be here say, oh, 5 o’clock?” Alfred asked.
Jackie nodded “Yeah, that should be fine!” she said, turning to Alfred “Goodbye, Alfred…” she said, getting out of the car and rushing towards the doors.

The Arkham Asylum doors opened and two guards looked down at the young girl, they obviously remembered her just like she remembered them. Their last encountered involved a banana peel and a fleet of annoyed bats.
“Today is my first day…” Jackie said, trailing off into nothing as the guards let her pass.
One guard looked at Jackie “Stay here, we need to call Commissioner Gordon.” He said.
“He’s here?” she asked.
The guard nodded “Wanted to make sure you didn’t skip town.”
Jackie smirked “Where would I go?” she asked.
“Where would you?” The guard asked.
Jackie sighed “I don’t know. There’s really nowhere else to go sometimes.” She said to the guards, who just looked at her with distain.
This was obviously going to be the hardest thing for Jackie, having to confront all the people whom she had pissed off in the past 6 months; all the guards, psychiatrists, citizens, and Gotham thugs.

“You actually arrived on time, new record for you!” Gordon said, walking towards Jackie as she slowly stood up from the chair she was sitting in.
Jackie smiled “Wouldn’t miss this for the world!” she said.
Gordon flinched “You’re more insane than I thought, BUT, we won’t commit you for wanting to—I guess ‘work’ at Arkham Asylum.” He said.
“Yeah, I’m assuring you that this is the beginning of a new start.” Jackie said, walking with the Commissioner down the corridors of Arkham.
Gordon cleared his throat “Good to hear, now I’m going to have to leave, but Dr. Melinda Green will be supervising you. She’ll probably just have you in filing, or something along those lines.” He said.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “No hard feelings,” she said.
Gordon smiled “Are you planning something?” he asked.
Jackie shook her head “Besides a degree in Psychology…no.” She said.
“Good, stick with that plan…it’ll probably do you some decent good.” Gordon said, escorting the girl into the deeper realms of Arkham. The realms, that quite honestly, had given Jackie Gibbard the creeps.
Jackie looked inside the doors, where doctors sat and spoke with patients and other doctors.
Jackie knew she could get use to this, this was something she couldn’t just turn away from, she knew that Arkham only changed the ‘good’ people of Gotham.