His Own Harley Quinn

Ten

Jackie’s house of cards was going well, she had been building for nearly three hours and was towering almost six feet tall, until Bruce opened her bedroom door.
The air that had been inserted into the room had blown away the house of cards, the cards dropped to the floor, just like Jackie’s slow recovering self-esteem.
“Oh…sorry…” Bruce said.
Jackie simply huffed as she sat on her bedroom floor, annoyed that Bruce came in at all.
It had been four days since her hospital visit and Jackie hadn’t even left her room for dinner.
“What do you want?” Jackie muttered, leaning against the foot board of her bed.
Bruce shrugged his shoulders as he put his hands in his pockets “Commissioner Gordon called…” he said.
Jackie didn’t even flinch, she didn’t care. Her mind was still tangled in what was reality and what she created to protect herself as she slid against her footboard and laid on the carpeted floor of her bedroom.
Bruce cleared his throat “He wants a psycho evaluation…maybe get something about what happened that night.” He said.
“Nothing happened,” Jackie muttered, trying to believe her lies herself.
Bruce shook his head softly as he sat next to her on the floor “If nothing happened, then why are you closing yourself off?” he asked.
Jackie thought for a moment, she couldn’t think of anything as she looked up at Bruce who simply smirked at her.
“Gordon will be here in thirty minutes to take us to Arkham…” Bruce said, getting up off the floor and walking out of the bedroom.
Jackie continued to lie on the floor, she looked up at her blank ceiling as she let the information process in her mind “...shit!” she muttered.

Bruce and Alfred watched with Commissioner Gordon through the mirror as they watched Jackie being evaluated.
The rape kit results came back positive, and Gordon knew there was no way Jackie was just simply going to tell the story; Gordon knew she was trying to erase it from her memory.
Dr. Green cleared her throat as she opened her notebook “You, young lady, have some explaining to do.” She said softly, smiling at Jackie.
“The rape kit came back positive.” Dr. Green went on to say.
Jackie shook her head “That’s impossible.” She said.
Dr. Green saw into the teenagers blue eyes that Jackie was fighting hard with herself to forget what happened, she could tell the events were flashing before her eyes.
“You want to tell me what happened?” Dr. Green asked.
Jackie shook her head “No.” she whispered.
Dr. Green put her pen down “We can catch whoever did this to you.” She insisted.
“I don’t remember.” Jackie said.
Dr. Green sighed “Well have to remember parts of it…right?” she asked.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders, just sitting in the chair with a blank look on her face.
“What happened before…do you remember?” Dr. Green asked.
Jackie thought for a moment before clearing her throat “I was organizing files.” She said.
Dr. Green picked up her pen “And then what happened?” she asked.
“Marty, he said he needed my help with something in the basement. He said he needed to move a box and said he couldn’t pick it up by himself…so I went.” She said.
Dr. Green turned slightly to the mirror before clearing her throat “Do you remember anything after that?” she asked.
Jackie shook her head, then stopped abruptly “A cold chill down my spine. I remember being strapped down to something before--I dropped into his arms.” She said.
“Whose, Marty’s?” Dr. Green asked.
Jackie shook her head “No, Marty wasn’t there.” She whispered.
“…I couldn’t move my arms…he lied me down on the bed and I couldn’t fight him. It was like my arms were weighed down.” Jackie said.
Dr. Green wrote the information down “Do you remember what he looks like?” she asked.
Jackie shook her head as she began to tear up “I closed my eyes the entire time. I didn’t want him staring at me.” Jackie said.
Dr. Green smiled as she closed the file “Alright. We’re done talking about this.” She said.
“So I can go?” Jackie asked.
Dr. Green shook her head “No, lets talk about The Joker for a minute.” She insisted.
Jackie looked at Dr. Green seriously “What do you want to know?” she muttered.
“…everything. You seem to have a serious reaction just to his name.” Dr. Green said, sitting back in her chair.
Jackie smirked “He killed my parents, and made me watch. I held an aluminum bat trying swing at his thugs…but, they pinned against the wall. I was 14, and all of a sudden I was alone.” She said, letting a small tear fall down her cheek.
Dr. Green nodded “And what do you think is going to happen to you now?” she asked.
Jackie wiped away her tear “I’m afraid he’s looking for me.” She said.
“Why would he do that?” Dr. Green asked.
Jackie began to choke up “To kill me.” She said.
Dr. Green nodded, she sat up and put her arms on the table “If he wanted to kill you, why would he have let you live in the first place?” she asked.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “Beats me.” She whispered.

The car ride home was silence, Bruce didn’t know what to say or think as he sat in the back with Jackie, who avoided all eye contact.
“What would you like for dinner, Jackie?” Alfred asked.
Jackie sighed, thinking for a moment “Just a salad, Alfred.” She said, not looking away from the window at the eerie sights.
Bruce sighed “I’m proud of you.” He said, taking Jackie’s hand.
Jackie sighed “I didn’t reveal anything.” She muttered.
“You said everything.” Bruce said, looking out the window on his side.

“She’s talking,” Marty said, unamused with the news.
Crane smirked “Then let her.” He said.
Marty scuffed “They’ll find out I was involved!” he said, almost throwing a fit.
“…well, Martin, you’re just a pawn. I can live without you.” Crane said, turning to Marty.
Marty looked at the Scarecrow in all seriousness “If that’s it then…” he said, leaving Jonathan Crane’s cell.
“Oh, you’ll be back.” Crane muttered to himself.