His Own Harley Quinn

Twelve

Jackie was silent at the dinner table, quietly eating her spaghetti while Bruce and Alfred spoke to each other.
“Oh, yeah, Jackie, we’re having a banquet tonight for Wayne Enterprise. I need you to dress up.” Bruce said. He took a bite from his dinner as he looked at Jackie, who didn’t look up from her plate.
Jackie put her fork down “You just spring this on me now?” she asked.
Bruce nodded “Sorry.”
Jackie sighed as she scooted her chair back “I’m finished.” She said, getting up from her seat and going up to her room.
Alfred sighed as he looked at Jackie’s plate of barely touched food “Master, maybe next time you could just give a little notice.” He said.
Bruce sighed “I should have, but would she have heard me last week?” Bruce asked.
“She wouldn’t have, I’ll give you that! But just because she’s continuing with her life doesn’t mean she needs to go to a blasted party!” Alfred said. He threw his napkin on the table and left the room.
Bruce sighed, he was at a lost for words while he sat alone at the dinner table.

She heard laughs and giggles in the other room as she hid away from the world in the library, the door closed and the lights very dim.
Jackie’s Lilac dress went down to her knees as it showed off her new boney frame, she couldn’t believe that she could lose all that weight in just a week.
The streaks of purple colors on the dress glimmered in the light, giving her something to occupy her time with, watching the dress shine and dim.
“Jackie?” Bruce asked. He entered the library and closed the door as his feet entered the room.
Jackie sighed as she sat in the lounge chair, one leg propped up against the arm and the other just dangling on the seat “Go away.” She muttered.
Bruce sighed “Everyone wants to see you.” He suggested.
“No, they don’t.” Jackie protested quietly.
Bruce sat in the chair next to her as he turned on the light and sat down, putting his glass of Scotch down on the table.
“People want to see you, you’re all over the papers…and those people won’t leave me alone until you come out and say ‘hello’ to them.” Bruce persisted.
Jackie thought for a moment, her leg dangling “Is Lucius here?” she asked.
Bruce nodded “Yes, yes he is…” he said, smiling.
Jackie slowly got out of her chair and adjusted her dress, the fake flower that was pinned to her dress was open wide for all to see “Alright, then…lets get this over with.” She murmured.
Bruce smiled as he put his arm around her, he knew she wasn’t found of the Bruce Wayne parties, but faking a smile helped with everything since the company, and the public, just adored her. Which was awkward for Jackie.
Jackie walked away from Bruce and made her way towards Lucius who was on the other side of the banquet hall, speaking with a random woman.

“Oh, well, I’m not sure yet. I spoke with the Dean of Yale, but she hadn’t made a decision yet on whether it’s too late for me to register for Fall Classes.” Jackie said, faking a smile as she spoke with a posh woman.
The posh woman smiled “Well, at least you know where you want to go.” She said.
Jackie smiled “Yes. It gets me somewhere.” She said with a nod.
The posh woman walked away and for the first time Jackie had a moment to herself. She took in a deep breathe as she walked over to the bar, snatching a glass of Champaign without anybody spotting her.
Jackie sighed as she took a light sip, making her way around the crowd when screams and yelling began to disrupt the party.
The crowd split and walking towards her was the infamous Joker.
Jackie dropped her glass of Champaign, the shattered glass echoed through the room as everyone watched her.
The Joker smiled “There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you!” he said.
Jackie just stared at The Joker, who scuffed at her “Nothing to say to an old friend?” he said with a small laugh.
She thought for a moment “…what are you doing here?” she asked with an uncertainty in her voice.
The Joker laughed “Oh, you silly girl, you! Have you met my girlfriend, Harley?” he asked.
The slender blonde smiled brightly at Jackie, her black and red uniform showed all her assets with no modesty, while her blue eyes popped out from her pale makeup.
“No, I’m afraid I haven’t.” Jackie said in a monotone voice.
Harley giggled “Full name’s Harley Quinn” she stuck her hand out for Jackie to shake, but Jackie only stared at her glove and painted finger nails.
The Joker cleared his throat “Sweetheart,” he said, Harley pulled her hand back and looked at Jackie.
“Just came to tell you that well,” The Joker circled around Jackie, coming up behind her “I’ll get you, my pretty.” He whispered in her ear.
The Joker smiled “I hope the Batman will be joining us soon.” He said.
Jackie took in a deep breathe as The Joker motioned for his thugs to leave “But anyway, Jackie, my dear, I’ll see you…very soon.” He said, walking away with Harley under his arm.
The silence took over the room as everywhere began to stare at Jackie, who after a moment of putting everything together; fainted.
The crowd screamed as they all gathered around the girl, Bruce pushed everyone out of the way, checking Jackie’s pulse as he kneeled beside her.
“LUCIUS!” he yelled, slowly picking Jackie up off the floor.
Lucius showed up in no time, Bruce looked at Lucius “Get these people out of here, and call Gordon!” he said, walking with Jackie to the second floor.