His Own Harley Quinn

Twenty-Three

The Joker paced around the thugs, he sighed as he turned back to Harley who gave him a grimace back as she stood next to Jackie.
Jackie crossed her arms as she watched The Joker walk towards him, smiling to himself. “Gentlemen, I want you to meet—your new boss…”
The thugs watched as The Joker stood in front of Jackie, who looked up at him with wide blue eyes; he smiled widened as he turned back to his thugs.
“Boys, I’d like you to meet…The Ballerina,” The Joker said, turning back to Jackie before walking around and behind her.
Harley and Jackie turned to each other, Harley cocked an eyebrow and Jackie simply shrugged her shoulders; she wasn’t going to argue with The Joker’s chosen nickname for her.
Crane cleared his throat, The Joker turned to him as he cocked an eyebrow before turning back to his thugs.
“Now, boys…tonight, we need you to give it your all! I want you to torch every building, rob every child of its candy—I want Batman to look down from his roof and go ‘What the hell is going on down there!?’…do I make myself clear?” he asked.
The thugs grunted in approval.
The Joker cleared his throat. “Alright then.” He paced back and forth, trying to find a way to divide the thugs four ways.
“…if your name ends with an---‘s’…you’re with The Ballerina,” The Joker remarked.
Jackie sighed to herself as she watched the thugs walked towards her; she turned to Harley who crossed her arms and smirked at Jackie.
“I guess I’m gonna need a costume,” Jackie muttered, walking out of the warehouse with her thugs.
The Joker chuckled. “Have fun darling, we’ll pick you up at 3 o’clock!” he said, waving goodbye to the teenager.

Jackie walked with her thugs, she was unarmed; and she was pretty sure she was harmless as she heard the thugs talk about her behind her back.
“I’d like to take a bite out of that ass…” she heard from behind her. She tried to ignore their comments as she continued to walk the dark and empty streets of Gotham City.
Jackie cleared her throat as she turned to her thugs and smiled. “Alright, let’s get cracking!” she said.
The thugs stared at her, she was lost for a moment when she realized that they weren’t going to budge because she wasn’t threatening.
Jackie swallowed her fear as she walked towards one of her thugs, she looked him dead in the eye and all he did was smirk at her.
“You think it’s funny? That I’m so ‘sweet’ and ‘innocent’?” she asked.
The thug cocked an eye brow ‘Yeah, I do,” he said in a deep voice.
Jackie smiled. “Oh, okay then,” she said, grabbing his shoulders and kneeing him in the balls.
The thug dropped to the sidewalk, whining in pain as the other thugs looked down at their fellow man, then back up at Jackie.
“You all satisfied now? You’ve seen me hurt somebody, you gonna listen now!?” she asked.
The thugs nodded quietly, Jackie huffed as she adjusted her bangs for a moment.
“What are you staring at me for!? Go wreak some havoc!” she yelled.
The thugs ran around her, breaking into stores and catching parked cars on fire; Jackie’s heart was racing as she witnessed the havoc she had caused, it made her feel powerful; and she hadn’t felt that way in a long time.

She sat in the backseat with Crane as The Joker and Harley talked up in the front, Jackie was silent as she relaxed in the backseat with Jonathan’s arm around her.
Jackie smiled as she closed her eyes against Crane’s shoulder. “So how was your night?” she asked him.
Crane smiled as he stretched for a moment. “Well, I did some drug dealing for my toxin. And I turned a small time business man into a crazy man…” he said.
“And how did the drug dealing go?” Jackie asked softly.
Crane nodded. “It went well, got some new buyers,” he said, turning to her.
Jackie smiled. “That’s great, Jon,” she whispered, cuddling closer to him as she continued to keep her eyes closed.
“Yeah, it is,” Crane muttered back to her, resting his head against hers.

Jackie and Crane were up all night listening to Harley and The Joker go at it; the headboard hitting the wall shook Crane and Jackie in their bed.
Crane watched Jackie as she read her novel, thumping back and forth against the force that was on the other side of the wall.
“Wish we could compete against them,” Crane said, lying in bed as he looked up at Jackie, who only smirked as she turned her page.
Crane took her wrist and sat up in the bed. “Do you think there’s a future for us?” he asked in a soft tone.
Jackie looked up from her book and saved her page, she contemplated what Crane had asked her.
“If I say ‘yes’ are you going to propose?” she asked, turning to him with all seriousness in her face.
Crane chuckled and shook his head. “I’m just thinking maybe it could be the Scarecrow and his Ballerina…we could walk away from The Joker and Harley and do our own thing,” He told her, stroking her hand softly.
Jackie smiled. “You mean you’d run away with me?” she asked.
“In a heartbeat!” he whispered.
Jackie smiled as she stroked Crane’s cheek. “That’s the nicest thing a guy has ever said to me…and I haven’t been around that many guys!” she said, letting a small chuckle escape her lips.
Crane kissed her softly as he looked into her eyes. “I love you,” he whispered.
The words echoed in Jackie’s mind, nobody had ever said that to her. It was then, at that moment, she thought about Bruce and Alfred.
She thought about how she thought they loved her, only they turned on her once she came home from Arkham.
Crane looked at Jackie as she lost herself in her own thoughts; he took her other hand and looked her deep into her eyes, he knew what she was thinking. “…I would never hurt you,” He whispered to her.
And with that, Jackie Gibbard’s mind was at ease.