His Own Harley Quinn

Twenty-Six

Three weeks passed. During the day Jackie would sneak out for the occasional doctor’s visits, and at night she was the Ballerina with her troops.
She watched her ‘thugs’ wreak havoc on the town, attacking women for their purses and breaking into closed shops for money. All the while, she played with the strands on her dress, smiling to herself as she walked the dark, active street.
Jackie’s black masquerade mask was becoming in a way, brightening her blue eyes. But what was really important was that it did its job, hiding her identity from the world when she became her own worst nightmare, the villain.
“Boss, look out!” a thug called out, pointing to a dark figure behind her.
Jackie caught the arm behind her, turning around to the dark figure of the Batman behind her. She smirked as she twisted his wrist.
“I thought you’d never show up.” Jackie remarked, nearly breaking his arm.
Batman grabbed Jackie with his other hand and ripped off her mask, revealing her flawless face.
“What are you doing?” Batman asked in pure shock.
Jackie giggled. “Why, my dear Batman, I have a better question for you. What are you doing here?” she asked.
Batman and Jackie exchanged another glance at each other before Jackie let go of Batman’s wrist. “You have five seconds to disappear, or I’ll make you disappear--for good,” She muttered. Then, grabbing her mask as she went, she hurried to catch up with her thugs..
Batman, or Bruce Wayne as he really was, was appalled and shocked at what Jackie Gibbard had become.

Jackie walked with her thugs back to the warehouse, while most of them trudged along while entering the warehouse a thug stayed behind.
“Hey boss?” he asked, catching up with Jackie.
Jackie turned to her thug and smiled “Yeah?” she asked softly.
The thug pointed to the corner of her eye “You got a cut right there.” He said, but before he could fully touch it Crane grabbed his wrist.
“What do you think you’re doing??” Crane asked in a harsh tone.
Jackie shook her head as she grabbed Crane’s arm. “Play nice, Jonathan, he was saying something.” She said, letting her eyes glance at Crane before back at her thug.
Crane let go of the thug’s wrist. The thug cleared his throat as he softly touched the cut near the corner of her right eye “Doesn’t look bad though, just thought you should know,” he said before walking off.
Jackie touched her finger to the corner of her eye. Pulling her fingers away again she found blood on the tips. She gasped softly, letting slip an expletive, before turning to Crane.
“Why do you have to do that?” she demanded.
Crane shrugged his shoulders “Because he was going to touch you.”
Jackie sighed heavily as she crossed her arms “Maybe if you were nice to your thugs—seriously. They do more work than any of us put together!” A hint of emotion escaped from her as she gave him one last look and turned on her heel.
Crane had no words; if he’d known she liked her thugs to be taken care of, he would have done it long ago.

Harley and Jackie sat on the couch, reading Vanity Fair and Cosmopolitan magazines as they waited for Joker and Crane to go to bed.
Crane stroked Jackie’s hair softly before kissing her forehead.
“I love you.” He whispered before walking into the back hallway to bed.
Harley listened for the door to shut before she dropped her Cosmopolitan.
“So, what’d the doctor say?” she asked.
Jackie turned a page in her Vanity Fair and smiled. “That I’m fine, everything’s going great. I’m healthy.” She continued to read the article.
“How far along are you now?” she asked.
Jackie looked up at Harley before going back to her article. “Thirteen weeks.” She whispered softly.
Harley sighed, shaking her head. “What are you going to do? You’re gonna start showing soon!”
Jackie sighed as she closed her Vanity Fair, letting it drop into her lap “Maybe I could start wearing Jon’s clothes? He’ll---I don’t know.” She said, turning away.
“He’ll start asking questions, that’s what’s gonna happen.” Harley said, taking in a deep breathe.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders. “Well maybe now would be a good time to provoke Batman…” she muttered, opening up her magazine.

Harley and the Joker were out to provoke Batman; it was Harley’s idea, since nobody was getting anywhere with him. Meanwhile, Crane and Jackie went out on their first real date.
The dinner was silent and awkward as they both stared at each other “Everybody’s staring.” Jackie whispered, retreating behind her now red hair.
“Let them.” He told her.
Jackie giggled “Okay then.” She muttered softly, looking at Jonathan with her soft blue eyes.
Crane reached for Jackie’s hand and stroked her fingers softly. “I think we might be getting to the Batman.” He said, his tone low so that none of the other guests would hear.
She smiled. “Oh, yeah?”
“Oh, yeah. I mean, he’s been out and watching us a lot more. This’ll all be over soon. I promise.” Crane said, kissing her hand.
Jackie smirked as she shook her head sarcastically at the Scarecrow “Don’t be too sure of yourself.” She said with a giggle.
Crane smiled. “I love you.” He whispered.
Jackie lost her smile and confidence. Her hands went numb as she looked into Jonathan Crane’s eyes. She took in a deep breath just in time to feel the ‘butterflies’ fluttering in her stomach again.
“Uh, I have to go to the girls’ room.” Jackie stammered. Abruptly she got up from her chair and rushed towards the restrooms.
Crane was couldn’t help but feel surprised. Of all the things he had expected Jackie to say, he hadn’t been prepared for her to say that.

Jackie walked out of the stall and walked towards the mirror. The other women stared curiously at her, but Jackie kept to herself and minded her own business.
After gargling on water, Jackie looked at herself in the mirror and let out a heavy sigh. “What are you going to do, princess?” she asked in a sarcastic tone.
Jackie shook her head, and giving herself one last look in the mirror, she stormed out of the bathroom to take on the rest of her date.