His Own Harley Quinn

Three

“So learn anything interesting?” Bruce asked, shoving a piece of Broccoli in his mouth.
Jackie nodded “Yep, I did.” She said, letting her sweater hug her closer to her body while she took about of the Meat Loaf.
Alfred smiled “So you enjoyed yourself?” he asked.
“Yes, Alfred.” She said, beginning to chew on her dinner.
Bruce cleared his throat “So, have you thought about which college you want to attend yet?” he asked, taking a sip of his water.
Jackie shook her head “You know, I was thinking about—about Yale.” She said, putting down her fork and looking at Bruce, who went silent as he looked at her.
Alfred was silent as well, the two men just stared at the girl with surprised looks on their faced.
“…or not.” Jackie said, looking down at her plate and finishing her mashed potatoes.
Bruce shook his head “Yale sounds find, right Alfred?” he said, looking down the table at his butler.
Alfred nodded “Yes, Master Wayne.” He said.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “If you guys don’t want me to go so far away…I won’t mind if I have to stay closer…like say, NYU…” she said.
“There will be no such negotiating! If you want to go to Yale, you’re going to Yale.” Bruce insisted, picking his fork back up to finish his dinner.
Jackie sat in silence for a moment “May I be excused?” she asked.
“Yes.” Alfred said.
Jackie bolted out of her seat and ran up to her room. Due to the drama of being involved in Batman’s life, Jackie had no time to apply to any college or university.
She sat in front of her laptop, figuring out how she was going to be able to start her Fall semester in September when it was far past the deadline, and Jackie told herself that she wasn’t going to let Bruce Wayne pull a few strings to let that happen.
Jackie pulled up an email document to the dean and took in a deep breathe, she started at the blank white page for a while before pulling up her internet browser. Maybe she went a little too forward with her admission request to Yale.

“Jonathan Crane pleads insanity on drug charges…” she read on the archives pages.
Jackie was mesmerized by the story “Wow…” she whispered to herself as she read to the very last word of the article. Jackie was flabbergasted at the entire story of Dr. Jonathan Crane as she scrolled down the page for other related Jonathan Crane stories.
“Gibbard, 17, pleads not guilty to assault charges.” Jackie read, she clicked the article and began to read.
The bias article made Jackie tear up for a moment before she turned off the internet and went back to the blank email document.

She was reviewing the email before sending it to the dean when a knock came on her wooden door.
“Yeah?” she asked softly.
Bruce Wayne opened the door “You alright?” he asked, walking into the bedroom.
Jackie nodded “Yeah, I was just writing a letter to the Dean at Yale University. You want to proof read it for me?” she asked.
Bruce nodded “Sure.” He said, walking towards her laptop and reading the short, sweet, and to the point letter explaining the situation and request a ‘just this one’ late admission to Yale University for the Fall semester.
“This is really good, Jackie…” Bruce said, patting her back “You should send it not.” He remarked.
Jackie nodded, hitting the send button and turning off her laptop for the night while spinning in her chair towards Bruce.
Bruce sighed “...so where we left off this morning…” he said, sitting on her bed.
Jackie nodded “I don’t want to be in Batman’s life anymore, just Bruce Wayne’s. Batman gets me in a lot of trouble!” she said, with a small smile on her face.
“I understand,” Bruce said.
Jackie looked at Bruce “I want to be normal again, I just be 18 for a change.” She whispered.
Bruce nodded “As you wish.” He said.
Jackie then got out of her chair “Then on that note, I’m going to bed.” She said.
Bruce got off her bed “Okay, then I’ll see you in the morning.” He said, walking out of her bedroom.
Jackie sighed as she dressed in her night clothes, she looked out the window as the rain poured down once again with the lightening filling her room with sudden blue light. The wind was picking up, letting the trees against her window scratch against the window.
“Don’t worry about that…” Jackie told herself as she turned off her light and crawled into bed, letting the thoughts of the next day linger in her mind.

Jackie walked into Arkham Asylum ready with a cup of coffee and her game face on as a guard escorted Jackie to her small corner of an office.
“It’s quite.” Jackie said.
The guard nodded “Yeah, guess everybody was over medicated today.” He said, opening the office.
“Thank you,” she said, watching the guard walk away.
Jackie walked into her tiny office and put her coffee down then placed her bag against the back of her chair.
She stood in the office for a moment when a chill went down her spine, the feeling of something going to happen, of something that was going to go wrong lingered in her mind and on her spine.
Jackie turned to the window, it was a dreary day without the rain. The cold weather fogged up the window as Jackie wiped it away, the condensation that was now on her sweater let a lingering feeling become stronger.
The girl didn’t know what was going to happen, but her gut feeling warned her that trouble was brewing.
“Jackie?” Dr. Green asked.
Jackie turned in a swift motion “Yeah?” she asked.
Dr. Green smiled “You alright?” she asked.
“I was thinking,” Jackie said, slightly defending herself.
Dr. Green nodded “Alright, well when you have a moment I have something for you to do in my office, okay?” she asked before walking out of the room.
Jackie sighed “Alright.” She muttered to herself, the feeling still not disappearing from her stomach.