His Own Harley Quinn

Six

Jackie turned in her sleep, smiling as she snuggled tightly with her stuffed animal. That is, until she noticed her stuffed animal was breathing.
She opened her eyes to see herself cuddling with Bruce Wayne, Jackie yelped in surprise as she fell off the bed, ultimately waking up Bruce as well.
The clock read 10:35 as Jackie picked herself up, she groaned as she ran out of the bedroom “Damn it, I’m late!” she said, rushing to get ready.
Bruce tried to recollect his thoughts and figure out what just happened, though he rolled his eyes and fell back into his slumber with a grimace “…whatever…” he muttered.

Jackie walked into the asylum, trying to look as subtle as possible while walking slowly to her small office.
“Gotcha!” Marty said, coming up behind Jackie.
The girl yelped as she turned around to the security guard “Don’t do that!” she said, walking into her office.
Marty chuckled “Sorry, but seriously—you’re late!” he said, pointing a finger at Jackie.
Jackie sat at her desk “I know, I know…” she muttered.
“I can only imagine what Doc Green is gonna do to you when she sees you—here, late…” Marty went on to say.
Jackie groaned “Don’t you have insane people to watch over?” she asked.
Marty cleared his throat “Then I’ll tease you later!” he said, walking out of the office.
“Gosh,” Jackie whispered to herself as she turned to her desk, nothing was waiting for her.
Jackie looked back up from her desk and sighed, she turned to the wall where The Joker’s artwork used to be displayed the day before.
“There you are,” Dr. Green said, standing in the doorway with a displeased look on her face.
Jackie looked at Dr. Green in fear “I can explain,” she said.
“Please, do.” Dr. Green insisted.
Jackie sighed “I was up late, writing a report for Wayne Enterprise and I forgot to set my alarm after I got back from delivering it…” she said.
Dr. Green tilted her head “Wayne Enterprise?” she asked.
Jackie nodded, lying through her teeth hoping it would save her Community Service.
“Yeah…I live with Bruce Wayne…I’m his—his butler’s goddaughter…” Jackie admitted for the first time in her life.
Jackie tried to hide what happened in her past, saying that she was a drifter and Mr. Wayne was letting her stay with him.
Dr. Green nodded, her anger gone as she took in a deep breathe “How does he feel about all of this?” she asked.
“Who?” Jackie asked.
“Mr. Wayne,” Dr. Green said.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “Embarrassed. He’s ashamed of me.”
Dr. Green cocked an eye brow “Has he told you that?” she asked.
“He doesn’t have to,” Jackie implied, looking away from Dr. Green “The thing is, he doesn’t have any kids, and he doesn’t expect to have any…which is why, in his will, I inherit everything!” she said, picking away flakes from the desk.
Dr. Green nodded “And how does that make you feel?” she asked.
Jackie sighed “…it scares the shit out of me!” she said.
“Why?” Dr. Green asked, pulling up a chair next to Jackie.
Jackie shrugged her shoulders “Because—because, Bruce and I, we aren’t that close. We might sit together at the dinner table and he might tell me that I’m going to go to Princeton…but we hardly say ‘hello’ to each other…” she said.
Jackie felt bad of having to realistically portray Bruce Wayne’s mask. Jackie felt awful knowing that Bruce Wayne was a good man with a good heart, but having to tell people how self-centered and narcissistic he ‘was’ made her feel like a bitch.
“It’s amazing what can happen in four years,” Jackie muttered, looking back at Dr. Green.
Dr. Green cocked her head “So you’re afraid of inheriting Mr. Wayne’s fortune because the two of you aren’t close?” she asked.
Jackie took in a deep breathe “No. do you think that little me has what it takes to run Wayne Enterprise if anything happens to him?” she asked.
Dr. Green shook her head “Nobody expects you to be perfect.”
“You don’t understand,” Jackie said before leaning back in her chair “I live with Bruce Wayne, and I live under his law, everybody whose watching expects me to step up. I’m obligated to take over. The idea that I am nothing to Bruce Wayne, yet I am expected to take his place—that’s what scares me. Why did he give it me, a girl who just entered his life, when he can give it to my godfather, who’s been his friend and acquaintance longer than I’ve been alive?” she asked.
Dr. Green patted Jackie’s hand softly “Because he trusts you.” She said, slowly getting out of her chair.
“On a lighter note, I need you to transcript a patient interview for Dr. Kilmour, he’s out sick today!” Dr. Green said.
Jackie cocked an eye brow “Isn’t that out of my jurisdiction?” she asked.
Dr. Green smiled “I trust you,” she said before walking out of the office.

“Late? That doesn’t seem like her!” Crane said, pacing his small cell.
Marty shrugged his shoulders “In her defense, you hardly know her. All you have is her IPOD and one good look at her.” He said.
“Nobody asked you, Martin…I think…I think it’s time.” Crane said, turning to Marty.
Marty nodded “I’ll get everything ready for tonight,” he said.
Crane shook his head “No, not tonight. Tomorrow night. We’ll have more leisure time!” he said.
Marty nodded again “What do you want me to do in the meantime?” he asked.
“Keep earning more of her trust…” Crane said, looking at Marty from the corner of his eye.
Marty nodded “Yes, sir.” He said, walking out of Dr. Crane’s cell and made his way back towards Ms. Jackie Gibbard.
Crane relaxed on his bunk, looking through Jackie’s Ipod for the millionth time that week, looking at her pictures to see a picture of her and her friends. The picture looked recent.
“You will be mine.” Crane muttered to himself, staring at the picture.