Sequel: The Saints Are Coming

Twist of a Bounty

Memories

Laughter filled the small one room apartment every few seconds. I sat at the small table, still, with a bottle of Scotch in my hands. I pressed it to my lips, letting it slide down my already sore throat.

“Or when we got ya to break yer Ma’s cigarettes?! She was so pissed.”Connor had taken the bottle from my hands and began to take large swigs as I continued on.

“I like the time when I pushed Connor in the pool. Killed his first phone.”I grinned cruely.

“I worked hard fer that!”He shouted.

Murphy snatched the bottle from Connor’s hands and with a smile stated, “He cried.”

“I did not!”He yelled.

Pulling the bottle from his lips, Murphy started to laugh.

“Ya did so! Cryin’ like a baby!”Connor ripped the Scotch from Murphy with an angry glare.

“Before ya go sayin’ shit ya might want to think it over.”He centered his hand behind Murphy’s head and in literal seconds, smacked him.

If they were still like I left them, then a fight was going to break out. I sent my thin fingers through my hair, feeling the small strands fall back into my eyes. I watched as they bickered and shouted. Occasionally making odd hand movements. I simply stole the bottle back and sipped from it here and there.

“It’s no big deal! You were fourteen!”Murphy yelled.

“Yer tellin’ lies, Murph!”Connor growled.

“Leave it alone!”Murphy demanded.

“I never cried!”I slammed the bottle down, growing frustrated with the two.

“Alright!”They turned, each of them looking at me with a questioning stare.

It was as if they forgot I was even there.

“Leave it alone!”I yelled.

Connor and Murphy looked down at the ground, muttering soft apologies under their breath.

“I feel like yer Ma.”I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed.

“They grinned before taking back the depleting bottle.

“He did cry, though.”I stood up as Connor tackled Murphy, taking his chair with them.

I only shook my head and grabbed the Scotch. I plopped back down in my seat as curses echoed loudly into the room. With a shake of my head, I began to steal swigs from the hard liquor.

“Crybaby!”A series of painful groans continued aswell.

Connor had continuously rolled over Murphy, Murphy over Connor and so on. After a few minutes of their constant bickering and fighting, I put down the hard liquor and stood from my seat. I occasionally gripped the table for support, but still searched for a way into their battle on the ground.

“Boys!”They continued to fight and being frustrated, I let out a huff.

I stomped over to the boys, hands on my hips. I was ready to jump in myself if this kept up for the next thirty seconds.

“Boys!”I reached down and took Connor angrily by the shoulders, but I should have known what was coming next.

I cried out as Connor was thrown back, pushing me to the floor. I rolled onto my back and the shuffling suddenly came to a quiet. I looked over at the each of them, surprised that it had gotten so far.

“Ya alright, Roisin?”Connor pushed Murphy’s head into the floor as he scrambled to his feet.

“Look what ya did, Connor!”Murphy stood up as well as I was pulled to my feet.

“Oh, fantastic.”I brushed myself off before pointing an angry finger at the boys - they knew what was coming.”You two are ridiculous! Do I have to play the mother?! It was a little thing that happened almost fourteen years ago! Get over it! Yer a crybaby, and yer a fool! So there!”

With a small smirk, I stepped toward Connor and wrapped my leg around his own. I circled my arms around his chest and pushed, feeling him stumble back at my surprise “attack”. He continued to stumble back, trying to catch himself. When he started to fall back, however, he grabbed my forearms and pulled me down to the floor with him. The boys began to laugh as I clenched my fist tightly.

“Get over it!”I slammed my fist into his stomach, earning a low groan to escape his lips.

“Oh, shit.”Murphy snickered as he walked back over to the table.

I stood from the floor and began to walk toward Murphy. I huffed softly and tried to catch my breath. He pulled the bottle from his lips and put it softly down on the table.

“Murph,”He eyed me down carefully.

“Aye?”He seemed to tense up, like he was expecting me to jump at him.

“The fuck are ya lookin’ at me like that fer?”We laughed softly and he shook his head - wrong move.

Connor rolled to his feet and caught Murphy’s attention for the moment. As his eyes shifted I took the time to rush at him. He snapped back and in literal seconds, I was lying on the kitchen table, huffing for my breath. I reached up for him, but it was only a matter of seconds before I was immobile.

“Nice try, Rose.”Behind him, Connor had the definable trouble smirk.”But ya wont win.”

“Oh, whatever ya say, Murph.”I cringed as Connor jumped forward, taking Murphy down once again.

I grabbed at the edges of the table, preventing myself from sliding off with them. I began to laugh and rolled off the table to the floor.

“Is this what it comes to?”I sat down in the seat, watching as the boys rounded back to their feet.”Ya only knew how to fight.”

I ran my fingers along the alcohol and smiled warmly up at them.

“Always fightin’ but fer the good. Ya didn’t fight to steal. Only to help.”I said softly.

I looked up at the McManus twins, a sincere smile on my lips. Freshly lit cigarettes clung to their lips or fingers. I pulled the bottle up, swallowing a portion of it.

“Yer Ma taught ya boys well.”I said.

“Aye.”They stated in unison.

“A hard ass, but a good woman.”Connor stated with a grin.

“She’ll put ya to an early grave.”Snickers errupted from the boys as I sported a smile.

“What ‘bout yer da? Hows he been? He was always a wise man.”I asked.

“Aye, a wise man. But haven’t seen him in the longest of times.”Connor sipped from the alcohol, occasionally flicking his cigarette.

“How’s yer Ma been, Rose? Haven’t seen her in years.”Murphy inhaled on his cigarette, a genuine smile on his lips.

“Me Ma.”A saddened smile crossed my lips at the thought of her.”The lord called’er back home boys. Just last year.”

“No,”Their mouths fell open.

“Aye. Me dear Ma is watchin’ me from above.”A glint of sadness crossed my eyes for only a second.”Bless’er soul.”

“Sorry to hear that. S’was a hell of a woman.”Murphy flipped open the pack of cigarettes, offering me one.

“That’s why our Ma’s got along so well.”I eyed it carefully and bit my lip.”There’s only a few. I wont take anymore.”

“I insist.”He propped his elbow on the table, ushering me to take one.

“Well then, if ya say so.”I pulled out a Newport and waiting on the zippo.

“When was the last time we did this?”I puffed on my cigarette, eyeing Connor with a quizzical look.

“Did what?”Murphy dropped his zippo on the table, waiting for his response.

“Sat and bullshit. In general, got along.”He pushed his cigarette into the ashtray and looked up at us with a grin.

“Prolly never. I always gave ya boys shit. And I apologize fer it.”Smoke easily flowed down my throat.”Really.”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it, Rose. Honestly, we’re sorry too. Always givin’ ya shit. Startin’ fights.”Murphy sipped at the bottle of Scotch.

“Aye.”Connor’s eyes hit the clock on the wall, and like it was contagious, so did I.

“It’s eleven o’ clock already?”I groaned.

“Aye. Better get our drink on.”Murphy smirked.

I grabbed the bottle and eagerly sipped from it.

“Save some fer us, lass.”Connor laughed.

I set down the bottle, feeling a knot of heat in my chest. After another drag of my cigarette, I started to feel pretty good.

“What about yer job, Rose?”Murphy questioned.

“What about it?”The smoke crawled out of my nose.

“What’s the story yer workin’ on?”Connor and Murphy quickly grew curious.

“S’bout a murder. Or suicide. The police aren’t quite sure. Kid named James, only twenty one. Hard worker. Skilled boy. Had some trouble on the streets. Called out of work one day soundin’ frantic.”After my last pull I put out my cigarette.”Never showed up after that. Ma goes to check on him at his apartment. Dead. No note. Clean shot to the head. No other prints. Only those of a size thirteen boot. One print. James is a size ten. Can’t tell if it’s murder or suicide. Especially since the weapon was nowhere in sight.”

“Holy shit.”They eyed me down in shock.

“I get the story, I get big bucks Set fer a long time boys. Plan on hittin’ Ireland again. To stay.”I stated calmly.

“Home sweet home.”Connor sighed.

“How long will I be locked up?”I questioned with a sigh.”I don’t plan on losin’ me job.’

“Ya wont. It wont be long.”Connor said.

“It’ll be okay. You’ll be alone. We don’t arrest too many women.”Murphy joked.

“Just makin’ it sound more comfortable.”I laughed softly.

“Ya really aren’t gonna fight us? Just a little?”Murphy asked.

“No. Not even a little.”I chuckled.”Why?”

“Murph loves a good fight. Especially when gettin’ his ass beat by a girl!”Connor grabbed the bottle and began to take large swigs from it.

“That’s not true! I love me a good fight, but I don’t get me ass beat!”He snatched the bottle from Connor with a glare.

“If I recall, I beat both yer asses.”I smiled cruely.

“Lucky shot.”They mumbled.

I laughed halfheartedly and gripped the Scotch out of Murphy’s hand.

“Whatever ya say boys.”I grinned.