Just Look Up To The Stars, and Believe Who You Are

Three

It's been a week since I read the letters from Bella to Jacob, I'd go over his house everyday after school and help him with the mustang, we didn't talk much. His look-a-likes, or so I called them tended to come over and he'd leave with them, leaving me with the car, but I knew what I was doing.

The alarm clock screamed in my ear, and I just grabbed it groggily, it smashed to the ground, and I looked around. It was Friday, but I'd call in sick today, last night I had found my mothers necklace from her mother, and my mind raced with thoughts of my mother- who was six feet under, and thousands of miles away.

"Dev?" I heard my Dad call, and the door pushed open, to see him standing there in a pair of beaten up jeans, and a button up shirt.

"I'm not up for school today, can you call them? I have to call Jacob." I mumbled sitting up in my bed, he nodded and left the room, I grabbed my cell phone punching in Jacob's house phone.

"Hello?" It was Billy, which I was kind of thankful for.

"Hey, Billy- it's Devyn, Can you just tell Jacob I'm not going to school today…and I'm not sure if I'll stop by later." I said into the phone.

"Sure thing dollface, feel better." and with that the dial tone rang in my ear, and I dropped back onto my bed.

---

I stood at the edge of a cliff I had found, the wind whipped around me as the waves crashed below me. I stepped back, and collapsed onto the ground lying down, and looking up at the sky. I guessed it was about 2 pm, I'd been wandering around the town for hours.

I began thinking about my mother, and the last conversation I had with her- she was lying in her hospital bed, we knew this day was coming. She had breast cancer for years, and in the game of life- it was winning.

I held her cold palm in my hand, and she smiled at me.

"When I'm gone, I want you to find a boy that will love you for who you are, I want you to be happy- and when I'm gone, watch out for your father…I wish I could've given you a sibling Dev." She whispered, and I just shook my head at her.

"Stop talking like that Mom- If I ever find a guy like Dad, I'll make sure to grab him." I said, and she smiled. She had told me that a guy with the personality like fathers would always be perfect.

"I love you De-" and with that the light beeping, went flat.


Snapping out of my thoughts, I shot up so I was sitting, tears streamed down my cheeks- and I realized it had started to rain. I sat there crying silently- I wanted her back.

"Devyn?" I heard someone call, and I quickly shot up wiping away the tears, I saw Jacob emerge from the brush, he was shirtless like always. He saw the tears streaming silently down my face, and ran to me. I just stood there, and he took my chin in his hand pulling it up to look at him. Slowly, I saw him lean in and I pulled back walking away quickly. He was just about to kiss me, and I was crying, was he stupid?

"Devyn wait!" I heard him call but I kept walking, trying to find my way back home. I felt him grab my arm, and stop me, I looked at him and then my gaze fell to the ground.

"Let me go Jake." I muttered, but he wouldn't let me go, I pulled my arm hoping he'd let go but he didn't.

"I'm sorry about that stunt, but why are you out here? crying?" He questioned, and at that I ripped my arm from his grasp, running through the forest. I knew he'd catch up to me if he wanted but at this moment in time I just wanted to be alone.

Walking through the front doors of my house, and my dad sat at the kitchen table talking to someone. I saw that it was Jacob, and ran to my room, slamming the door shut and leaning against it so no one could get it. I heard footsteps then a gentle knock on the door, but I ignored it, and when they tried to open the door, I put my feet against the floor, and pushed with my back making sure it didn't budge. I used to do this when I was little, but the door burst open pushing me into my bureau.

"Devyn? Jacob said you were crying, and wouldn't talk to anymore…and you talk to me, what's wrong?" I looked to see Quil standing there, I shrugged my shoulders and he just picked me up from the ground and placed me gently on my bed, and sat next to me.

"Nothing Quil, I just-" I started but a sob escaped my throat, and Quil pulled me into a hug, his heat instantly radiating throughout my body. That's one thing I never got, they were all so extremely hot and it never made sense. I always related it back to the letters, and it still made no sense at all to me.

"Why are you all so hot? and I mean temperature." I questioned after about an hour of just sitting there in silence.

"Uh- we're just like that Dev." He mumbled, and I looked up to see Jacob standing by the door.

"You're a bad liar Quil, Can I talk to Jake alone for a second?" I asked, and he just nodded, hugging me before leaving me with Jake. He sat where Quil had been, and I pushed a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Remember last week…when I said I read a letter from Bella?" I asked, and he just nodded his head slowly.

"Well, I read something about werewolves, and vampires- I know that's all fairytales and crap, but she mentioned something about how she's extremely cold, and your always hot- I guess what I'm saying is, why are you all burning up? Don't lie." I said, and Jacob sat back leaning against my head board.

"I can't really explain it Devyn, you'll find out someday- just not now when your like this." He said, and I just shrugged my shoulders.

---

It was Sunday, and I was at Jacob's helping fix the mustang, his friends came over about an hour ago. I heard something about the forests, and for once I went and followed them as they went into the foods, I hid behind trees, until we were deep into the forest. They all looked at each other, and began running- in a split second I saw their bodies disappear, and they were turned into these monstrous wolf like things- I quickly hid behind the tree and thought.

Werewolves? No, what the hell? I peeked back out, and saw them all just strutting around. They began running back into the forest, and I collapsed to the ground. What the hell did I just see? Quil, Embry, Paul, Sam, and Jacob just, no I'm imaging things. If i blinked I could've missed that- they definitely changed into werewolves? So if what Bella wrote about werewolves, vampires were real too? I shook the thought from my head when I heard footsteps, I stood up and hid behind the tree, I saw a large wolf go behind a tree, and I couldn't see it, but what I did see was Paul stand up from behind the bush. My eyes grew wide, as I slowly and quickly ran out of the forest and back to the house.

"Billy? Billy?" I called into the house, and he just smiled at me from the kitchen. I smiled and told him I needed to use Jake's computer. I ran to his room and pulled the drawer open with the letters, I pulled the pile out, and quickly began scanning through them.
Who knew fairytales were real, I'm glad I finally know something about you.

'I still can't believe you're a werewolf Jake, and Edwards a vampire.'

'Wonder how you're next girl will take the fact she's dating a dog.'

I quickly pushed the letters back in the drawer, and ran back down the stairs as all the guys walked in the front door. Jacob saw me and smiled, I just ran past him and out the front door. I heard someone following me, and I turned to see it was Sam, he caught me and spun me around.

"Devyn? What's wrong?" He questioned, and I just looked at him- an hour ago I just saw him transform into a werewolf, that's what's wrong.

"Nothing Sam, just have a lot of homework I uh- forgot about." I mumbled, but he didn't budge.

"You weren't in school Friday, how would you know you have homework?" He questioned, and I just shrugged.

"Addie gave it to me, I really have to go." I said and he put a hand on my shoulder, and I shuddered under the heat- that's why they were so warm, to stay warm in the cold.

"You know something." Sam whispered, and he pulled me towards the garage, I sat in a chair and looked at Sam. I wasn't afraid that he could tear me shred, I was just confused.

"What do you know Devyn?" He questioned, and I shrugged mu shoulders, he stood in front of me.

"Nothing, I don't know what your talking about." I mumbled, and he just ran a hand through his short hair.

"You know something about us, don't you? Jake told you didn't he?" He questioned, and I just looked at him

I knew I'd break eventually, so I stood up slowly and shut the door to the garage.

"I know what I just saw in the forest wasn't something I wasn't supposed to see, and I know that you changed into a werewolf, I know theres a girl named Bella, and she claims to be a vampire- I know what I read in fairytales is apparently real." I explained, and Sam shook his head.

"You saw us change!? and How did you find out all this?" He exclaimed, pacing slowly and I just shrugged, which pissed him off because he became within a foot of me.

"I read some letters in Jakes room from Bella…I followed you guys into the forest cause I wanted to know why you always disappeared. Sam, tell me I'm dreaming- I can't deal with this all right now." I muttered, and he just put his hand on my shoulder.

"Dammit Devyn, you're not dreaming- does Jake know you know?" He asked, and I shook my head no.

"I just put it all together when I ran out the door." I explained, and he took my arm leading me back into the house. We stopped in the kitchen, where all the guys seemed confused. I stood there awkwardly, and looked at the faces that I thought I knew. Sam stood next to me in the doorway, and looked at them.

"She knows." Sam mumbled, and they all just looked at us.

"What? How? Who told her? Jacob- I swear I'll kill you." Paul said, and I shook my head no at him. Jacob sat there in utter confusion.

"I saw you guys change into whatever you are in the forest, I also found letters in Jake's room from Bella, no one told me. I figured it out." I explained, and they just sat there in silence for a second.

"Get out." I heard Jacob grumble under his breath slowly looking up at me, I looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"I said get out Devyn!" He said again, standing up and Sam stood in front of me. I looked at Jacob again, and wondered what was wrong with him, he wasn't acting like the Jacob who became my best friend within the few weeks I've been here.

"Get the hell out Devyn!" He yelled at me, and at that I let a tear flow down my cheek as the words cut into me like a knife. I ran towards the front door and down the driveway, I walked home alone this time as I silently cried.

All I wanted was a friend, and all I got was a werewolf who hates me.