I'll follow your voice.

010

Roxanne was sitting in the living room of her condominium, now awaiting Arabella’s arrival. The girls had met up, with an urgent phone call from her. She was unsettled, tugging at the purple beanie that still sat on her head.

“Let me get this straight, you put out a building that was set on fire?” Valykrie said, static electricity causing her to shock almost everything she touched; including Roxanne.

“Yeah, is there anything wrong with that?”

“I don’t know…it just sounds…too normal for this entire one evil thing’.” Dulcie said, tilting her head.

“But a building that had no known cause for a fire is a little weird.” Lily said, twirling some twine in her hand.

“Guys, I’m serious. We were walking and all of a sudden a building goes up in flames. I mean…we just so happen to discover our powers, kill a guy who was trying to kill me, and a building goes up in flames. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.”

The door clicked open, everyone looking, hoping to see Arabella. Instead, it was a personal miracle for Roxanne. Her father was home before she went to bed. Her eyebrows rose up as his calm blue eyes scanned the room.

“I didn’t know you were having friends over Roxanne.”

“I didn’t know you’d be home before midnight.” She replied, raising her eyebrows.

Her father was about to say something more, when the bathroom door opened. Everyone’s head turned to reveal James. The look he gave Roxanne when his eyes laid on hers, made her want to smack him upside the head.

“You have a boy over too?” the sound of her father’s voice was one of suspicion.

“No, this is uh, Valykrie’s little brother she needed to babysit.” Dulcie chimed in, smiling.

James snorted, covering his face. “Yeah, little brother.”

“Well, I say you kids go out for dinner, a nice one on me. I’m having a meeting, and I doubt you kids would want to stay around that. So, uh, Roxanne, here’s the card.” He strode over to her, handing her the Visa.

“Uhm…okay.” Roxanne blushed indiscreetly, hoping no one else noticed the large gap between her and her father’s relationship. Absently, her eyes flashed to James, who appeared to be studying her. His eyes moved from her face as hers moved to his. “Alright, I’ll call Arabella, tell her to meet us.” With that, Roxanne stood and walked out the door, followed by the others.

They were moving down the hallway, Roxanne not saying a word, when Arabella turned the corner, blinking at them. “Hey guys, I was just on my way up?” her hair was still matted with sweat, her skin glistening slightly.

“Nope, now we’re discussing it over dinner, where who knows who can over hear us.” Her eyebrows rose slightly as they all filed into the elevator, the ballroom music playing softly.

“You,” Valykrie pursed her lips, sidling up to James. Roxanne was tempted to set her hair on fire. “How did you get here? And where do you plan on going?”

“Don’t think about it Valykrie, he’s gay.” The whole elevator, James included, turned to look at her. “He said he was.” Her lower lip stuck out slightly, arms crossing.

“Anyways…”James paused, turning to look at Roxanne closer before turning back. “I came through the bathroom.”

“You’re a water spirit?” Lily quipped, “I thought only girls were spirits.”

“Uh…why?” James laughed his face incredible with humor. “It alternates each time.”

“What happens when a new generation comes along?” asked Dulcie.

“You go to Utopia. Forever. It’s peaceful, and you never worry of illness, or death. It is….Utopia.” he said it with bliss, looking up. “You live forever.”

“Living forever is overrated,” Roxanne said under her breath, pushing past the group when the elevator chimed and the doors separated.

Lily was the one to catch up to her, pulling the hat over her eyes in what was supposed to be a playful way. The only thing it accomplished were Roxanne’s heels catching flame like the Grecian Sandal and its wings. Out of giddiness and fear, she started to jump around and stamp them out. People passing on the streets stared at her, but she didn’t care as long as the flames were out.

“Roxanne, what’s wrong?” she whispered lowly so the others who seemed to be fawning over James, wouldn’t hear.

“You know what.”

“Your dad? I thought you wanted him to be home to see you.”

“Yeah, actually sit down and have a conversation with me; not usher me out with my friends so he can have a successful business dinner with his big investing clients.” She grumbled, looking up to a restaurant sign. “This place is expensive, right?”

“Uh…yeah.”

“Good. We’re eating here.” She called over her shoulder, turning in.

“Roxanne, you’re just going to charge it all to your dads?”

“Yes. He gave it to me.” to the hostess, she smiled despite the woman looking at her hair with concern. “Six.”

The woman with bleached hair smiled, nodding and leading them to a back part, away from the bar. Much to her displeasure and everyone else’s, James took a seat next to Roxanne, ruffling her hair slightly. She grumbled, trying not to lose her cool and control over her powers. They ordered their non alcoholic drinks along with meals.

“So explain.” Valykrie said, sipping on her drink. “What happened?”

Arabella recapped the situation this time, in greater detail than Roxanne had. The food had come in between, letting an awkward silence settle over.

“Let me get this straight, a random building caught fire and you two transformed and grew suspicious of it?” James asked, knitting his brows.

Roxanne made an odd face, one that said ‘this happened, something’s behind it and we’re not crazy.’ “Yeah, that’s exactly what happened. Think about it.” She handed her father’s credit card over the waitress, speaking only until she was out of ear shot. “We discover our powers, take down what’s his face, get teleported to Utopia, and then a building catches on fire? I don’t think it’s a coincidence.” She leaned back onto her plush leather seat.

“I don’t know Roxanne, things like that happen every day.” Lily said, raising her eyebrows.

“But right where we were?” she signed the slip, and stood, eyeing them. “Hope you guys enjoyed dinner and thinking I’m crazy.” She smiled, tipped her head and strode out.

Shortly after, she felt a presence following her. Holding her arms closer to her sides, she turned her head slightly. It was James. Sighing, she turned to face him, arms crossed over her chest. “What come to follow the crazy pyromaniac to make sure she doesn’t go off and put out more burning buildings?”

He shook his head, “Making sure you get home safely.”

Roxanne rolled her eyes, but didn’t make a movement to stop him. “Fine, whatever.”

“You know,” his strides lengthened so that he caught up to her. “I do believe you.”

The eye roll came again, but with a rueful smirk this time. “Sure.”

“Seriously…you guys will soon enough discover that there is evil, and that you will need to stop it.” His tone was serious, as they stepped into her building, moving to the elevator.

“Aright, alright, I believe you.”

“Roxanne…”

“Hm?” she wasn’t looking at him, ticking her head from side to side in rhythm with the music. She stepped out of the elevator.

They moved to outside her door, James’s hand touching the doorknob before her own. Roxanne turned to look at him, her eyebrows raised and knitted. “I need to do something, Roxanne.”

Hair fell over her face, which he so gently swept away. Roxanne’s eyes widened, she could only guess what was going to happen next. “I thought you were-”

His lips cut hers off swiftly, soft and warm. It had happened so quickly, Roxanne’s eyes stayed open, mind not thinking anything as her lids slid shut. His arms clenched on the side of her hips, deepening the exchange of lips between them slightly. She had never been kissed like this before. James’s lips begged hers for more, as well as his body. His mind though, was the reliable and smart one as he pulled away; with much reluctance through his actions. Though they were separated, his body stayed close to hers.

“Definitely not gay.” She breathed out, the only thing she could certainly think of.

“Told you so.” He smirked, before dissolving into a puddle of water that swiveled down the hallway, disappearing completely.
♠ ♠ ♠
what the girls are wearing; Arabella Lily Dulcie Valykrie annnnd the infamous Roxanne!
making fashion sets for the girls, good or bad idea?