I'll follow your voice.

013

They had moved into what appeared to be a chamber of books; books that were wrinkled and torn at the edges. Roxanne’s fiery nature calmed so that they history of this world she was tied to, would remain sacred. The book that caught her eye was not on the mount; glowing. No, it was on a shelf almost hidden by others. She wandered over to it, sliding it from its tight position between two other books the size of goliath.

It had the symbol of fire on it. Her fingers danced over it cautiously; as if her touch would cause it to burst into flames. “This is it,” she said, turning to cover.

Flames shot from it, heating her face but not burning it. Her hand reached up to her face, tracing the hot flesh. Fire. It displayed what appeared to be the first fire spirit; a Neanderthal. Roxanne’s eyebrows rose, so a fire spirit discovered fire. Interesting. Turning the page once again, she saw something that made no sense at all. Self portraits of all the fire spirits; dates of birth and death, when they discovered their powers and how they fell. All within a year of discovering that they controlled the element of fire. The book fell from her hands when she turned the page from the fire spirit of 2008.

“What the hell is this?” she hissed. The page had stayed on despite the fall, revealing her face inscribed like a painting. She was smiling as if nothing was wrong. “Some kind of joke?”

The others crowded around her, the ‘oracle’ picking up the book. “It is exactly what it looks like Roxanne.”

“So that’s it, I already have a set date? I’m already going to die?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“No, you’re wrong. I am going to change what’s going to happen. I won’t let it.” She turned to James, hurt in her eyes. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me.” Roxanne turned around, fire starting to consume around her ankles.

“Roxanne, where are you going?” Lily asked, taking a step towards her.

“You cannot change what has been decided Roxanne.”

“Yeah? Watch me.” The fire overtook her and she came back to the world of reality through a candle in her house.

Candles? Why were candles lit? She moved from the hallway and into the kitchen; to see her father kissing on some woman. “Daddy?” she said in a cowardly voice.

Their lips pulled from each other, surprised, shock and embarrassed to be caught in a romantic act. “Uh, Roxanne, school’s not out yet.”

“Bomb threat.” She lied through her teeth, eyeing the other woman with platinum hair that resembled Valykrie’s. Her boobs were fake; obviously. “Who’s this?” she shot a death glare at her.

“Hi Roxanne! I’m Fiona, a coworker of your dads!”

“Coworker of working the street or actual work?” she asked, training her eyes on her. “Whatever, you two go back to enjoying your business meetings.” She stormed out, biting back tears once more.