I'll follow your voice.

017

Everyone knows you relish in the weekend. You sit around, do nothing, and eat bon bons like no tomorrow. That was if you were a normal person. As of right now, Roxanne was not a normal person. But no, she had to go off and be a superhero who coincidentally controlled fire, and who coincidentally ends up dying. No, she got off with eating fizzing skittles and vitamin water, while toying with a ball of fire in her hands. Her dad was not home; no surprise, and had went out with…her. Roxanne refused to acknowledge Fiona’s name or even presence. It was immature, yes, but that woman had been making out with her father, and hadn’t even introduced herself to the number one woman in his life; her. She rolled from her lazy position on the couch, her face pinching as the sizzle of the skittle tapped on her tongue.

Something wasn’t right. Her head tilted to the side, as she walked into the foyer. A note was there. Glancing around once more, she picked it up. It said: I know where to meet you and you know where to meet me. It’s where the fire is the coldest, the ice the hottest. Be there kiddo. She raised her eyebrows slightly, letting the paper burn to a crisp in her hand.

Then it hit her; Aurora. Aurora wanted to meet with her. Rage coiled in her spine, but she suppressed the urge to light something or everything on fire. Where the fire is the coldest, the ice the hottest. There was only one place that seemed remotely related to that riddle.

The ice skating rink where everyone hung out. All the time. Should she tell the others though? Her hand wavered over the slight bruise that had appeared over her left eyebrow.
Maybe, it would be best to tell them. But it wouldn’t be the smartest strategy wise. Roxanne also didn’t want them cueing in on James. Who knew what Aurora would say this time? With a glance over her shoulder at the clock, she noted the time. Her dad would be home within an hour or so; so she’d have to manage it wisely. Buttoning up the long black and gray striped sweatshirt, she slammed the door behind her.

Only to come face to face with Aurora. Literally, nose to nose.

“Hey, I was, uh, on my way to meet you.” Roxanne said nervously, a hand running through her mussed ponytailed hair.

“See yeah, I don’t want to speak peace with you little Roxanne. I know how you and James are. I know he told you what happened. But he doesn’t know one thing. When one of your members dies off,” her hand ran over Roxanne’s cheek. “You collect their powers. And, well, when I killed poor little Jamesy Wamsey off…I got his power. And I don’t like you, you little pyro freak.” She spat out.

“Aurora, what are you talking about? You’re not making any sense.” She said with certain unease, hid by her stubborn pout and narrowed eyes.

She chuckled darkly. “Oh Roxanne. So young, so naïve. So easily manipulated. See, well, James let out another little detail. He does that a lot doesn’t he?” she fake pouted as Roxanne’s façade dropped to reveal sudden shock. Aurora tipped her chin lightly. “But don’t worry about it, Aurora’s here. She shows up at your doorstep, right in the craziest moment of your life, and you so stupidly let her in. you never really thought I was interested in having you as a companion, did you Roxanne? A little understanding between spirits? No. I’ve been feasting off your power; just like legend says. But, Roxanne,” she gasped like a light bulb went off in her head. “I haven’t been sucking your power! I’ve been feeding it,” she said with a sadistic grin. “So that I won’t actually have to do the dirty work and kill you, oh no. that’s no fun at all. See, you’ll become so overwhelmed with your power….you’ll how do we say? Self combust? Yeah, that’s the word!” she patted her head slightly. “And then I’ll get more fire power for well, my fire. And there’s nothing….you can do about it.” Her blue eyes danced with enjoyment.

“Why? Why…are you doing this?” she was caught off guard, she thought Aurora was someone she could trust.

“Oh, Roxanne is your feelings hurt? I’m sorry….wait, no I’m not.” She giggled.

That was it from the vulnerability for Roxanne. Having her feelings attacked like that, set off a non element anger switch in her. Just like before she discovered she wielded fire. And honestly, her non fire temper was the worst.

“Excuse me? Honey I would be sorry if I were you. What James said, about how you came so easily it was like dry humping, well, a sack, was it? Oh, yeah it was. He also said he’d never go back to you on his last dying wish. So, Auora Pora, how does it say, to…how do we say? To know you’re nothing to anyone besides a suck fuck? Aw, did I press a button?” she prodded the older woman in the chest. She brought her face closer to hers, staring straight into her eyes. “Good.” Aurora said nothing, just eyed her with such hate and disgust. They stood like that, before Aurora raised her hand. This wasn’t Roxanne’s first fist fight. With swift moving of her own, she knocked her hand away and jabbed into her eye. “That’s going to leave a mark!” she said with a giggle.

“You stupid kid,” she said through clenched teeth as she stood. “You have no idea what you just did.”

“Actually, I think I do.” She didn’t hesitate any further and all but tackled Aurora, her fists beating into her.

Aurora must not have known much else about Roxanne, because how surprised she was at the force behind her blows was enough to make her laugh. The crunch of bone and fist rang in her ears, as Aurora pushed her off and sent her rolling into the opposite wall. Aurora had landed one punch directly in her eye, before she shot away from her. Looking from her hands, Roxanne saw the others. Dulcie was in the front of the pack, her hand outstretched with confidence.

“Nobody touches Roxanne.”