I'll follow your voice.

02

That was over the course of a weekend. Roxanne had school, much to her displeasure. She was decked in the school uniform; white and navy blue plaid skirt along with a white button down and tie. Stockings of some sort were required, but not much other than that. So naturally the rebel had to do everything in her power to make sure her presence was noted. With her noticeable hair perked high up in a ballerina bun, followed by neon pink stockings and a black pair of vans, with a slouchy leather satchel; she achieved such standards. Ever since the earthquake, everyone had been kind of on edge. One Roxanne noticed in particular, was Lily. Every time someone said something, it looked like she was about to burst out in tears. She wanted to figure out what was going, which was why she was approaching the half green haired friend of hers.

“Lily.”

She jumped, looking up from a book she was reading outside the corridor. “What?”

“You’re jumpy.” She spoke dully, her blue eyes blinking in the sun. “Why?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She stood so quickly, Roxanne was almost caught off guard.

But she wasn’t dumb, nor one to let somebody walk away from her interrogations. “Look, Lily.” She pushed her down back to the spot. “I’m not stupid. Ever since that earthquake, you have been schiz.” Roxanne tilted her head down at the timid thing. “What is going on?”

Lily peered up at her, squinting. “You wouldn’t believe me if I did tell you.”

“Try me.”

Her lips parted, before snapping shut again. “I caused that earthquake,” her voice heightened at Roxanne’s disbelieving expression. “I told you that you wouldn’t believe me!” she sighed, slumping back on the bench. “But I did.”

It was her turn to look away, chewing on her lower lip. “Look…I do believe you.” Taking in a breath, she continued. “Because the same thing happened to me too.”

“Wait, you mean you made an earthquake too?”

“No. I set a building on fire.”

“Roxanne! That’s arson, not an unexplainable occurrence of events!”

Roxanne leaned in, a sneer on her face. “I didn’t touch the building. I was on the other side of the street.”

Lily blinked, her eyes searching Roxanne’s. “You know what this means..?”

She raised a skeptical eyebrow. “What we’re freaks just so happen to be around elemental occurrences that we can’t explain? Yeah, I figured that out when I didn’t burns on my hands.”
“No, that means there’s three more girls, Roxanne.” She stood now, an expression of determination on her face. “We have the two elements; fire and earth. That means, water, air and electricity. Other girls went through what we went through. We have to find them!”

Roxanne blinked, looking at her through her hair. “Lily….you’re on something and you need help.” The bell that signaled they were supposed to start heading to their next class rang. “I don’t want to exactly play with your psychotic little drabble about how we can control elements. It’s not true. It’s not even logical.”

“You’re one for logical though, aren’t you Roxanne?” Lily called after her.

Roxanne frowned, a temper sparking in her. She looked down, to see if those flames had reappeared on her skin; she could use a little firepower right now. When there were none, she sighed. Lily wouldn’t drop this until she did do something, something that dealt with finding these other girls. Readjusting her backpack, she turned to her, narrowing her eyes. “Fine. I’ll help you find these….other girls, but if we don’t find them, you drop it. Completely. And we go back to our normal lives, doing what we did before. Alright?”

“Alright.”

Roxanne could only hope though, that Lily was wrong. What followed with finding ‘powers’ and strange happenings, usually meant something bad was going to happen. Something horrible.