Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Blindfolded, Eyes Wide Open

"Rob, how many times do I have to tell you this isn't necessary?" I laughed, walking blindfolded as I was led to some unknown place. I knew we were in the marina, and he probably set up some nice dinner on his yacht. I liked that about Rob, he took the time to show me he cared. Oddly enough, we had gotten very close in the three months since we'd met.

"Mind your step, there's a little incline." He said quietly. He was a generally quiet person. Sensitive, small, content. He took the time to understand people. Never one to judge, always aware of his surroundings and of what he said.

Finally we stopped, and he gently removed the blindfold. I gasped. I was on the deck of a magnificent ship. An old ship, like the ones pirates and old merchants would have had. I laughed wholeheartedly. He knew how very much in love I was with the idea of living in the pirate time period. Back when everyone wore those beautiful dresses and there was elegance to things, but I also had such a craving to see the rough, uncensored, pirate underbelly of the era.

The ship was beautiful in every way. I ran through my memory, seeing if I could remember the names to all the different masts and parts of the ship.

"Cat?" He called, seeking approval. I smiled at my newest best friend, touched by how much he cared.

"How the fuck did you get all this, Rob?" I asked, looking around in amazement. He blushed a little, shrugging it off.

"You never take a break, Cat. I wanted to do somethin' nice for ya." He offered.

"I do too take breaks. Just...not often." I said in my defence.

"Photoshoots shouldn't eat up so much of your time." He protested meekly. I smiled, loving how his glasses sat perfectly balanced on his angled nose as he stared at the floor. He hated arguing. But he loved to care. "This place is yours for the weekend." He explained, taking a few steps back.

"What?" I said in shock, turning to face his retreating figure. He grinned sheepishly.

"Take a nap, eat some food, dream of being a pirate." He replied, before slipping off of the ship. I looked around in amazement, but felt slightly scared. I would be alone here, on this grand ship. But it would be fun, I convinced myself.

Walking into the cabin, I sat down on the bed. Placing my bag on the table beside me, I leaned back against the headboard. Sighing, I relaxed each and every muscle in my body. The waves rocked the ship gently, back and forth, back and forth. Air tainted with sea salt floated in through the open window, accompanied with the sound of distant gulls and dulled voices.

As my mind drifted through random trains of though, I rested upon a memory.

"Catalina Lunamos. There comes a time in every girl's life when she needs to stop playing pretend and learn to grow up." My mother's voice scolded from above me. She was hunched over and staring me in the eyes. Her floral dress dirtied around the bottom after I dueled with her legs. My sword had been a mud covered stick.

I was so young. So naive, and gullible. At that age, my mother's word was the law. And as much as I liked to pretend things were to the contrary, I still did as I was told. Like my job, for example. A few years back I had been offered a one time job as a poster girl for a clothing line. I had good legs, they said.

One photoshoot turned into a full time job. Accompanied by an agent, busy schedule, and next to no down time. I had met Robert in one of my latest assignments, a model for a local clothing line. My mom had become my self-appointed financial adviser. Taking her share of the money, of course. I didn't really mind, after-all 1) she was my mother, and 2) I wasn't a big spender.

So when it came to moments like these, times where I had absolutely no agenda, I took full advantage. Full advantage, in my case, being sleep. As I drifted, I was at ease. Nothing could stop me now. Peace flooded through my nostrils, encasing my lungs and filling each and every void in my body. Sleep ensued, taking me without a moment's hesitation.

Image

It was an authentically decorated ship, which meant no electricity and therefore no alarm clock on the table. I rolled over in the comfortable bed and glanced out the window. The sun was just beginning to set, and my stomach grumbled. Dinner sounded pretty good right now. I got up, stretching and yawning. Running my hands through my hair I opened the door and went onto the deck.

I was taken aback by the appearance of someone on the deck with me. A man, Rob, dressed up in full pirate gear. The worn clothes, the sea boots, he even threw on a wig. I laughed as I walked up to him, wanting to see his face.

"Robert, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when you said dream of being a pirate." I laughed as he turned to face me. And I gasped. He even had on a full beard and mustached, and had put on makeup. Well, eyeliner at least. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked at me. "Jesus Christ, Rob, is that really you under all that?" I asked, putting my hands on his face and tracing his features. He still looked confused.

"Where did you come from?" He asked, filling my nostrils with an overwhelming scent of alcohol. If my olfactory glands were functioning properly, I could've sworn it was rum. I laughed, backing up a few steps and walking over to the banister.

"I had the best sleep I've had in a while. Honestly Rob, I can't thank you enough. I was just about to make a bit of dinner, want some?" I asked, turning my attention away from the sea and back to him. His features were twisted in a fury of confusion. "What?" I asked.

"Who's Rob?" He asked. He had even gone through the trouble of putting on an accent. A very heavy accent. He even lowered his voice.

"Okay then, what shall I call you?" I teased, playing along with his silly games.

"I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, love." He smirked.

"Is this your alter ego or something?" I joked. "You look so different."

"Look," He began, taking a step towards me. "I'm all for having beautiful women coming out of me bedroom, but it's usually on the occasion that I brought 'em there in the first place, savvy?"

"What?" I laughed.

"I do not allow stowaways on me ship." He said bluntly. It was my turn to be confused.

"Okay Rob, joke's over."

"Love, I've not a clue who your dear Rob is, but I is not him." He said. I took a step back. I heard roaring laughter coming from the distance and looked at the marina for the first time. My eyes grew wide with horror. I was most definitely not looking at Starboard Marina in Miami, Florida. The houses were nowhere to be seen.

Instead, there was a tightly knit array of stores, pubs, and social sites. And I seemed to be the only person here who knew what denim was. Everyone else was dressed similar to the Sparrow character in front of me. Loose clothes for the men, and elegant dresses for the women. What the hell happened?

"W-where am I?" I asked, staring at the town that had changed in a matter of hours.

"Port Odessa, Love." He said cautiously. His eyes were burning on me, analyzing each move I made.

"What's the date?" I asked, a little shakier.

"August the twenty-fourth." He said skeptically. Not good, today was the middle of June. I took a deep breath as I prepared myself for the next and final question.

"What year is it?" I whispered.

"1768." He replied. My eyes snapped over to his. My jaw dropped, my heartbeat sped up rapidly, and a light tremble ran through my body. He took one careful step towards me, and then another. "Where are you from?" He asked, cocking his head to the side as he kept eye contact with me.

"This can't be happening..."