Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Don't Fear The Reaper

I sat up straight in my bed, my chest heaving and droplets of sweat rolling down from my forehead. I gripped the bedsheets on either side of me while a feeling of fear kept hold on me. I stayed sitting up, eyes glued to a random spot on the door as my lungs and heart calmed down. Once I was sure that I was okay, I ripped off the sheets and slipped on Jack's boots. Creaking open the door, I walked on deck.

Jack was back to acting odd around me. Hesitant, reluctant even. I didn't ignore him, as it seemed he would have liked, but I didn't go out of my way to strike up conversations. I didn't know if it bothered me or not, because I made a point to avoid any excessive thoughts on anything to do with him. I just didn't want crazy ideas popping into my head.

I wandered the deck, back and forth, trying to figure out what the hell made me so scared. Something wasn't right. I couldn't pinpoint it, I couldn't even get a vague idea. But whatever it was terrified me. So much so that I had to go to him. I knocked on the door. Lightly first, but it progressed to banging until he opened the door. His eyes were half shut and he look angry.

"What." He spat. I ignored it, this was no time to lose focus.

"Jack, something's wrong. I woke up feeling-"

"It was just a bad dream." He interrupted, going to close the door. I forced it open, throwing it out of his grasp. He looked back at me, more focused this time.

"It. Was. Not. A. Bad. Dream." I hissed. My fists were clenched and I knew that outside the sea was beginning to mirror my anger. He was listening now, and I continued. "Something bad is going to happen. I don't know what, but I just have this...this fear and anxiety building up inside as if-"

"Slow down, love." He said, attempting to take in everything I said. I was having trouble staying calm. "What's this about?" He asked. I sighed, ready to explain that I didn't know what it was about, but something was pulling me away from the cabin. I needed to look outside. I spun suddenly and flew to the starboard side, scanning the darkness feverously for something-- anything.

Nothing. Not a single speck on the shadowed horizon. I frowned, determined to see what was making me so Goddamn scared. Turning to the port side, I knew Jack was watching my every move. I drew my eyes over every inch of the landscape. And at last, I saw it. Not that I was happy with what I saw, but I knew I wasn't going crazy.

"Jack?" I said, my voice quiet.

"Aye?"

"Do you know all of the flags for the different pirates?" I asked as he took a few steps closer.

"Pretty much."

"Then please, please, tell me you know who they are." I said, pointing out at the three massive ships headed our way. I waited through five seconds of silence before turning to face him. I was terrified, and he saw it. And because of my terror he did his very best to hide his own. Very quietly, and in as calm of a voice as he could muster, he responded.

"Ye might want to get a head start." He said, and quickly walked to the stairs in order to wake his crew. I remembered back to the last time I had to do this, I almost failed miserably. I needed quiet, and there was no way I'd be able to see the ships if I went under water again. Which left one option.

I dove back downstairs, pushing past the pirates as they scrambled to get ready for a battle. I burst into my room and flew to my dresser, ripping it open and searching my bag until I found my iPod. Again I shuffled past the pirates and up onto the deck, shoving the electronic device in my bra as I hoisted myself up towards the crows nest. The ships were visible now, their silhouettes distinguishable through the shadows.

I sat facing the fleet, plugging my ears with Mozart's Lacrimosa. I took deep breaths and closed my eyes. It was working, I couldn't hear a thing below me. My first priority was giving us a head start. Tilting myself to the left, a wind picked up and caught our sails-- and our sails alone. It wasn't much, but it would give the crew time to get ready. While the wind propelled us I tried to target a ship. I figured the one on the left was closest, and held my hands flat before me.

I pushed away and up, forcing the water molecules closer and closer together. Holding them like glue by clenching one hand into a fist, I rose the other up. Again and again I brought it up, creaking my eyes open to see if anything I was trying was even working. It was. A wall of water roughly 100 metres high was towering over the ship. I saw them trying to steer the ship away, but it was no use. With a sharp intake of breath I separated the wall from the sea, and with a quick exhale I shot it down.

The impact forced a hole to go straight through the ship, all the way down to the bottom. I saw as the ocean bubbled through that I didn't have to worry about them.

Beckett's POV

"Lord Beckett!"

I turned my head lazily to meet the terrified eyes of Gilette.

"The Liberty...She's going down, sir." He said attempting pitifully to keep his composure. I sighed, placing down my tea and running my tongue over my teeth angrily. I took comfort in knowing exactly how to make my men squirm. Standing up from my quite comfortable chair, I joined the other men on deck. Gazing to my right, the Liberty was in fact sinking. The men cried out for help, but they should have been more careful.

I snapped my fingers, indicating I wanted my telescope. Gilette scrambled to produce it from his pocket and I snatched it out of his hands without looking at him. Extending it, I surveyed the Black Pearl as the pathetic pirate infestations ran about the ship. A happy smirk crawled across my face as I caught sight of the infamous Jack Sparrow shaking in his boots. They were still outnumbered.

"Sir..."

"What now?" I asked, irritated.

"There was this...wall of some sort. A big block of water just came out of the ocean and broke down against the Liberty, and...well..."

"Out with it." I spat.

"We don't think it was luck." He said plainly, and I caught his drift. I ran the telescope over each and every pirate, searching for a female. There was only one person able to control the elements at sea, and that was Calypso. I looked again and again, only seeing grungy looking men, until I rose the telescope to the crow's nest. Smirking, I found her.

"Gilette, look at the crow's nest." I said plainly, handing him the telescope. He did as he was told.

"Sir?"

"Shoot her."

Cat's POV.

I was finally getting the hang of this all. One ship down, two to go. My eyes closed again as I began to mold a jet stream for the next closest ship. I imagined the water in between my hands as I funneled it into a cylinder. It was no different from what I had practiced with Will so many times, only on a larger scale. And when I was with Will there wasn't the possibility for death. But I desperately tried to push those thoughts out of my mind and focus on taking the ship down. In three breaths I would release. One...Two...

Zing!

My eyes snapped open and my focus dropped, along with the defense for the Pearl. Another Zing! and I realized I was being shot at. Not a good thing. one final shot, much to close for comfort, and I had to leave. However I made the mistake if taking out my headphones. As soon as I did the unmistakable sound of war took over me. People were screaming and shooting, cannons were blasting, ships were being bruised. I did my best to ignore it and swung myself over the edge and fled for the deck.

Jack's POV

I saw her come down from the crow's nest in a hurry. Following the path of her wild eyes I saw a firing squad aiming their rifles at her form. Not good. By the time she made contact with the deck of the Pearl I was at her side, positioning myself in front of her in order to shield her from any shots. She tried to look back at me to ask obvious questions, but I pushed her forward and inside my cabin. Slamming the door shut behind us she looked at me confused.

"Don't get yourself killed." I said, watching as she understood that I had seen the men. She opened her mouth to speak, but there were much more pressing matters, so I silenced her. "If they take the ship, don't do the right thing, savvy?"

"What?" She asked in disbelief.

"Save yourself." I said seriously before leaving her alone.

Cat's POV

I stood dumbfounded for a few moments. He went out of his way to keep me safe...No. Not out of his way, he had to. That's what Tia had said. If they lose me, they lose the freedom of being a pirate. I nodded, knowing this conclusion was right. It was quiet enough in here, so I went to the window to allow myself to complete my duty.

It was easier this time, it went by faster. But ironically, everything seemed to slow down. For a reason, though. As I watched the monster I had concocted from both wind and water dismantle one of the ships, I knew I didn't have time to take out the last one. It was close enough that I could read it's name, the Endeavor.

The ship began to sink, taking it's crew along with it. But as it sunk, we were boarded. Men clad in fancy clothing poured onto the Pearl, some being taken down by gunfire. I knew it was too late to stop them. We would have to fight. I looked around through Jack's things, praying to find a sword. And I got lucky. Hidden beneath his bed, and covered in dust, it lay forgotten.

I took a deep breath, and opened the door. I was immediately meet by the confused face of an enemy. He hadn't been expecting a woman. Reciting in my head 'this is just self defense,' I punctured his chest with the sword. He fell to his knees babbling incoherent whispers while blood surfaced to his lips.

Stepping past him I forced myself to relax. Engaging in combat with another man I fought gracefully until he suffered the same fate as his comrade. Again and again this would happen, until it all became a blur. The grunts and battle cries eluded me as I danced around with countless soldiers, not breaking my focus once.

Until the number of men to fight greatly dissipated. I looked around and saw that although everyone was locked in combat, the Endeavor was fleeing. I smirked, the cowards. Everyone else noticed as well, and most of the men fled the Pearl rather than stay and risk death. I smiled at whatever crew members I managed to catch eyes with.

But I noticed Jack wasn't on deck. Which was odd, because he most definitely was when he told me to stay in his room. I looked around, and saw that his door was closed. It was open when I left it. I left the crew to their celebrations and went over to Jack's cabin. The door was open a sliver, and I heard a voice that was definitely not Jack's.

"And if you should choose not to join us I'll kill her." The man said.

"What interest is she to you?" Jack asked, and I watched as the man pressed his sword against Jack's throat.

"Have you opted for death?" He asked in a taunting voice.

"Well I sure as hell ain't workin' for Beckett." Jack said in his typical arrogant voice.

"Very well." The man said. I watched him draw back his blade in order to kill the captain, and I heard the sharp intake of breath Jack exerted right before I threw the door open. Frightening the man, he swung around. And in doing so, his sword punctured my skin. The impact drove it deep, right below my ribcage. My eyes bulged, and my hands went to my wound as he withdrew.

Not a second later a shot went off, and the man dropped to the ground before me, a bullet hole in between his eyes. Jack stepped over him effortlessly, and my hands came away from me, stained with blood. But there was no pain. No numbness, no slivers, no excruciating screams waiting to erupt. But Jack didn't know that. I was too shocked to react as he swiftly picked me up and placed me on his bed. He ran around his room looking for something, and I pulled up the fabric of the dress to see my wound. Again, my eyes bulged.

"Jack..." I whispered, causing him to turn around. He dropped the bottle of rum he had in his grasp and his head cocked to the side. Both of us were watching the gaping wound in my stomach disappear. Skin grew out of nowhere, reaching across the hole and joining with still intact pieces. In seconds the wound was gone, without so much as a scar to prove it. My eyes met his, mimicking his shock.

"Guess ye won't be needing rum then." He remarked, picking up the bottle and downing about half of the contents. I stood up slowly, trying not to freak out too much. Going up to him, I took the bottle and downed the rest of it. Wiping my mouth, I looked up at him.

"I might need a bit more." I said seriously. He smirked slightly. I inhaled slowly, but regretted it immediately, for his scent filled my lungs. Which meant that he was going to fill my thoughts. What made it worse was how close he was. It reminded me of the time when we were swimming. His arms wrapped around me, our lips inches apart, and I had almost given in. I was so confused right now that I didn't know if I could restrain myself.

He gently placed a hand on my waist, inching me a little closer to him. I held my breath and kept my eyes down, trying to find the words to say what I wanted. How did I tell him no, when stopping was exactly what I didn't want? His free hand reached under my chin, tilting my face up to his. He hesitated only for a moment, waiting for me to protest. I should have, and I would have, had the circumstances been different. But I wasted all my energy fighting, I had none left to fight him.

It was too late to turn back. With one final movement our lips met, and it was chaos within me. A million alarms and bells and whistles flew off the handle, half of me was screaming, half of me was crying, and all the missing pieces were just standing there scratching their heads. What now? I tried to stop my hands from reaching up around his neck as he deepened the kiss, but they went regardless. His arm tightened, pulling me flat against his chest as his hand moved from my chin around to my back.

"Jack?" Will's voice snapped me back and I pushed him off of me with unreasonable urgency. My eyes flew away from him completely and I focused on the dead body lying on the ground. Will entered, looked at both Jack and I and then down at the body. "Cat, are you okay?" He asked. I swallowed hard and nodded.

"Just a little shaken up. That round took a lot out of me." I said distantly. "I think I need a nap." I said quickly, and pushed by my friend. He let me go, knowing that what I did wasn't easy. I prayed that Jack wouldn't tell Will about what had just happened. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a few bottles of rum, and retreated to the solemn walls of my room. Locking the door I collapsed onto the bed, uncorking my first bottle and taking it all in.