Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Heist

"Cat."

My mind jerked me out of my sleep, throwing me onto the concrete sidewalk that was reality. My eyebrows were squished together in anger before I even opened my eyes. I hated being woken up. No, I detested it. I groaned dramatically just to piss Jack off more. We most definitely had a love/hate relationship. Well, it tended to be more hate.

"Do you ever knock?" I hissed. He was leaning ridiculously close, and I pushed his chest with my foot so I had room to sit up.

"I did." He replied confidently.

"And what do you generally do when someone doesn't answer, Jack?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Go inside." He said seriously.

"You don't go inside if there's no answer, Einstein." I said, running my hands through my eyes and rubbing my eyes.

"When you do answer you tell me I can't come in." He reasoned. I glared at him.

"Then maybe you should take a hint?" I offered. He was silent for half a second.

"My ship. I can go wherever I please." He said stubbornly. I rolled my eyes.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked, exasperated. He regained his composure, remembering his purpose.

"We seem to-"

"We being?" I questioned. His eyes narrowed slightly.

"Why must you insist on interupptin'?" He asked, and brushed it off when I didn't reply. "We being dear William and I. There is a plan that has been concocted, and if ye want a decent payment out of it you will be wanting to get ready to dance." He said.

"What?"

"We are currently sailing towards Port Royal. There is something high-toned and fancy goin' on, and you and Will is goin' as diversions. Savvy?"

"What exactly do you expect me to do?" I asked suspiciously, crossing my arms across my chest. He did the same.

"It's a dance of sorts, love. Ye just need to make sure nobody goes pokin' 'round upstairs while we loot the place, savvy? Nothin' more than keepin' those pretty eyes of yours open."

"Last time I checked, I can't exactly go that far inland, Captain." I pointed out.

"Well, it just so happens that the house is right nice and close to your dearly beloved." He replied, smirking.

"I hope you mean the water." I mumbled. Whether he heard me or not, I didn't know.

"So get that dress on, Kitty." He said, turning and walking towards the door.

"Jack." I said seriously, and he did a half turn, only enough to see me out of his peripherals. I stood up, walking up to him. "I'm not going to tell you again, don't. ever. call. me. kitty." I said in harsh whisper. Pushing him out of my room, I slammed the door and locked it, listening as he hesitated before walking away.

I sighed, turning my back to the door and letting my head fall back against it. Why did he have to have any feelings for me? Why couldn't Will have just lied about the compass? Things were back to being awkward. Anger was my natural defence. Not fear, not anxiety, no. My wall was made of fury; anger in it's purest from.

Things would be significantly easier if we were just...well, what were we? Captain and crew member? Acquaintances? Two human beings? Or, dare I say, friends? I didn't know. I didn't like thinking too much about it. But what I didn't like more was being so confused. It was no secret to me what I felt when he was near, it was just something I hoped could be kept away from him. I didn't want him getting any ideas.

I would not give in.

Peeling myself off of the door, I slid across the floor and opened the bottom drawer of the dresser. Opening the box, I held the dress in my hands for a few minutes. It felt expensive. And then it clicked. Jack wasn't talking to that woman in the shop for advice. How could I have expected such a kind thing from him? No, he bought this dress knowing I would need it for whatever party I was going to crash. He was flirting with the woman because he wanted to lower the price.

"Stupid fucking pirate." I muttered to myself, stripping out of my clothes and sliding on the dress. I looked down, hating the fact that a tiny piece of me liked it. The boots would clash horribly. As if I wanted to wear anything belonging to Jack anyways. I ran my brush through my hair quickly, and stalked out of my room.

"What exactly do you figure I'll wear on my feet?" I asked spitefully, tapping my foot while my hands rested on my hips. Jack was in his room, looking at some random papers when he looked up at me. One of the good things about him was the fact that it was easy to get to him. My spontaneous outbursts, for instance, drove him up the wall.

"Do you ever knock?" He said, mocking me in a high pitched voice. My teeth gritted together, my fists clenched and my eyes locked open.

"Don't test me." I hissed. He smirked, knowing he'd gotten me back. It was slightly immature, our way of communicating. But he started it.

"I suppose you can wear the pair of shoes that came with the dress, Miss Lunamos." He said stiffly.

"And where would those be, Captain?" I replied in the same tone. He got up from his desk and walked past me to the closet. He pulled began to shuffle through things, so I took the liberty of looking around. There was a brilliant scimitar laying on his desk, and I picked it up, swinging it around a few times.

"Don't hurt yourself." He taunted. I rolled my eyes as he threw a small box onto his bed. I looked at it, and walked over to take the shoes out.

"These are freaking knee high shoes, Jack." I said, holding them up. He shrugged, and I could see how much he was enjoying this. Well two could play at that game. I took the chair from the desk and placed it before me. Setting down the blade on the desk, I put one foot on the seat of the chair. Lifting up the edge of the dress further than I needed too, I could feel Jack's bravado wearing away.

I took my time pulling the laces through the many nooks, and when I finally finished one shoe, I looked at the other one sadly. I sighed, looking up at Jack.

"Could you help me?" I asked innocently. He hesitated for a moment, waiting for me to tell him I was just kidding. I kept my face straight, and ignored the desire to roll my eyes as he smirked. He knelt down, and I placed my foot on his knee, pulling back my dress again so he could do up the outrageous boot. He gently slipped my foot in, and I ignored the tingly sensation as his skin made contact with mine. His breath was hot on my leg as he did up the laces.

"Thanks." I said quietly, slowly removing my foot from his grasp. He stood up straight, and fairly close. He was making thisway too easy. Taking a soft step forward, I continued my revenge. "I'm sorry for being all...moody." I said quietly. He smirked. I won.

"S'alright, love." He said, just as quiet. He took a step closer. We were inches apart. "Forgive and forget, eh?" He whispered, eyes glued to my mouth. He leaned in the close the distance, but my voice stopped him.

"As. If." I spat, and grabbed the scimitar off of his desk before walking past him. He grabbed my arm tightly, yanking me back. I had fire in my eyes.

"Ye really need to stop doing that, lass." He said through gritted teeth. I smirked.

"Careful where you're pointing the finger, Captain." I said, and wretched my arm out of his grasp. I cut the air angrily as I retreated back to my room. I'd get the details of this ridiculous plan from Will.

Image

"Are you ready?" Will asked sweetly. I nodded, trying to calm myself for the presentation I would have to put on. I would be extremely out of my element. I had to take out all of my piercings, put on a long ass dress and wear ridiculous shoes. And I couldn't bring a weapon. As much as I tried to steal the scimitar from Jack's cabin.

"Let's get this over with." I said, getting up from my bed and following Will above deck. Jack was on deck. I didn't look at Jack. Jack didn't look at me. Will led the way down to the dock, and I eyed the water wearily. I honestly did not want to fall into some terrible demise that would ruin the current thieving extravaganza.

Will offered his arm, and I took it. My mind was in a frenzy, and I needed it to stop. All we had to do was mingle with everyone else and keep everyone from going upstairs at all costs. Apparently that's where everyone kept their valuables. Which seemed incredibly stupid to me, but what did I know? We neared the doors. My heart rate didn't flutter in the slightest.

"Gibbs will be waiting at one of the windows. He'll signal when they're through." Will explained. I nodded my head, making sure the symptoms of a looming blackout didn't appear. The man standing at the front door looked at the both of us. I smiled sweetly. For the briefest of moments I expected him to ask for our names, at least. But he bowed his head slightly, letting us in.

The place was huge. Windows lined almost every wall. Whatever drywall was available was doused with titanium white, and golden crown molding. There was a live band playing somewhere, the violins slipping out serene notes in time with the trumpets. The ceilings were high and from them hung many chandeliers. There were many chairs and couches and tables; not to mention people. There were at least one hundred people in the vicinity; all dressed to the nines.

Every other woman in the room was wearing a corset, and I was proud to rebel. Their dresses puffed tremendously around the waist, mine sat comfortably on my hips. They were layered with makeup, I was sporting a natural look. And damn, did I stand out. I pretended not to notice as their eyes scrutinized me, before their bodies leaned closer to the ears of neighbours desperate to hear the judgment their mouths would deliver.

Will pulled me over to the wall. It made us less visible, but gave us better sight to the window facing the beach. I saw a face peep up in the bottom corner of the glass. Marty. He disappeared, but only for a moment. The next second he was rushing past the glass, looking back at whoever else was with him. One by one, Will and I watched the crew of the Pearl dash past the window. Jack, however, was nowhere to be found. Not that I cared.

I heard Will sigh, and saw him roll his eyes. He turned his back to one side of the room, facing me but watching the empty wall above my head.

"What's up?" I asked. He barely parted his lips to respond.

"Elizabeth." He muttered. I straightened up, looking past him for whoever this character was. I saw one girl, who was in the general direction he had been looking.

"Long curly hair?" I asked. He nodded. She met my eyes, but they quickly passed before they set on the man before me. The smile she had put on for the group of people talking to her quickly disappeared. "Will she's coming this way." I said, and he sighed.

"Will? Will Turner?" Her voice was high and laced heavily with a British accent. She stood there anxiously waiting for him to turn around. I didn't exist to her. He slowly but surely turned, and a smile flew onto her face. She lunged at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I thought I'd never see you again!" She sang. He stood there awkwardly, and I figured I'd save him.

"I'm sorry, but would you mind removing your arms from my husband?" I asked, feigning sweetness. She slowly retracted her arms to look at me. Will hesitated before taking a step away from her. He put on a stiff smile, and put an arm around my waist. I could tell he wasn't expecting this.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You are?" She asked. Was she freaking serious? I was his wife, and- okay, so not literally but as far as she knew- she had the nerve to speak to me like that?

"Catalina." I said curtly. She nodded, and looked at me as if she had seen me before. Not likely. Her eyes returned to Will.

"How have you been keeping?" She asked.

"I-uh-good. I've been good." He said finally. She smiled.

"You just took off that day and...Well I can't say how sorry I am for the entire miscommunication with-"

"Mr. Turner." A loud voice called. I looked behind the skank called Elizabeth and saw a man who honestly looked hilarious. Tight shin-length pants, tights, a jacket with abundant buttons. But what topped it all off was the wig. It was pure white, and had girly curls,. I stifled my laughter.

"Commodore." Will nodded.

"Didn't expect to see you here." He said, eyes washing over me for less than a second. I didn't like either of them. "Still a blacksmith?" He asked. I wanted to interrupt, and explain "No, he's a pirate." but I didn't.

"No. Catalina and I are on a vacation of sorts." He said simply.

"Sailing?" The Commodore offered.

"With Jack Sparrow? The pirate?" She asked.

"You know, you should really learn to wait. It usually helps." I said coldly. Her eyes went to mine and she looked terribly unamused. "But I guess you're not really the patient type, when comes to anything. Especially marriage." I said, smiling. She froze, her face going pale. I couldn't help but let the smirk seep through.

"And you should mind your words." She said through clenched teeth. I laughed lightly.

"Have a nice time." I said, twisting my hand into Will's and taking a step away. There was a loud thump that came from above, and I froze in my tracks. My eyes flew to the window and I waited. One second. People drew out from their conversations, noticing the noise. Two seconds. Marty was at the window, making anxious signs with his hands to do something. I sighed. I turned back to Will, sliding my hand around his waist and removing the sword at his side.

I spun and pointed it at Elizabeth. She glared at me, and I prayed she was as testy as I was. She did not fail me. With an angry twitch of her mouth she took the Commodore's sword, and I smirked. A few people gasped when they saw what we had done, and I had successfully gained their attention. Step one: Check. Now I had to keep their attention.

"I don't really like when people bury their distaste for me." I said simply. She swung at me and I dodged her effortlessly. People backed up, forming a sort of circle around us. I smirked, remembering to relax. I taunted her by sliding my blade across hers. She tried to do a fancy spin and attack move. But her strategies were premature. I could do what she was doing with her eyes closed.

"Come now, let's see what your dearly beloved has taught you." I said, beginning the steps. Left foot over, right foot under, always stepping to the right. She swung, I dodged. She blocked, I swung again. I had no intention to hurt her. She wasn't so courteous in her thoughts. I just needed to keep this up until the crew were gone.

Around and around and around and around. I twisted and turned and spun and danced. Danced with the devil on the tip of a blade. Begging to pierce her porcelain skin and teach her a lesson. But I had done enough. She was breathing heavy, much more rapid than my calm, normal breaths. I backed up a step, giving her breathing room.

"They're gone, we must leave." Will whispered into my ear. I smirked. We had won. "And please forgive me." He added. I turned to look at him, and he rose his voice loud enough for Elizabeth to hear. "You were wonderful." He smile, placing a hand on my cheek. His voice was steady, he didn't hesitate, but if Elizabeth had glimpsed his eyes she would have seen his facade. I knew what he was going to do, so when he kissed me briefly I kissed back. I felt the tension snap into her like a whip. He pulled away, smiling. I put one on as well.

The room was silent as we exited, and I looked back to wink at her just before we slipped out of sight. Her eyes were frozen open, and her husband was looking at her wearily. He knew she had feelings for Will. Poor thing, taking down everyone with her like a sinking ship. When we were a safe distance away Will's arm dropped from my waist and his shy persona returned.

"I'm sorry, Cat. I just wanted to-"

"I know, Will. It's fine, don't worry." I smiled, and he relaxed. We walked briskly to the ship, and I sat down on the railing of the deck. The minute Will heaved himself off of the plank it was retracted, and we immediately left Port Royal. Jack was on deck, looking at all of the items that had been swiped during the prissy soiree. I slung a foot onto the railing before me and immediately began unlacing them.

I threw it onto the deck and repeated the process for the second one. I wiggled my toes and rotated my ankles. They cracked in delight for being released from their prison. I was so glad that Will was on the Pearl. He was my constant, the person who didn't change at all. Even the kiss didn't make things awkward.

Unlike with some people. Like the one who I could feel staring at me through their peripherals. He was horrible at being stealthy. He was horrible at a lot of things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shoes