Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Nobody Said This Was Easy

I tipped the last drops from the bottle into my mouth, having grown used to the burn as it slid down my throat. I stared at the empty glass container for a bit, as if it would refill itself. Apparently, it had other thoughts. I hopped off of the railing, heading down to the bottom of the ship. I unlocked the door with the key I had stolen from Jack's room while he slept. Pushing it open, it creaked in protest.

I sauntered in, walking directly to the rum rack. I took a few bottles in my arm, ignoring the swaying of the ship. I closed and locked the door behind me, shoving the key into my bra for lack of any pockets. On my way above deck I stopped in my room, storing the extra bottles under my mattress. I grabbed a ponytail holder from my dresser and slung my hair into a ponytail. Taking one bottle with me, I returned to my spot.

Or at least, what I considered my spot. To get there I had to get onto the railing at the helm, heave myself over, and carefully put my feet on the bowsprit. From there I lowered myself into a sitting position, straddling the wooden beam protruding from the front of the ship. In my position I was both hidden and at peace. Well, not really.

The sea beneath me proved that. The night sky was heavily clouded, concealing the moon's luminescence. The waters looked black, and were churning. Brooding, like the inside of me. They had been reflecting my innermost feelings for the past few days, much to everyone's dismay. I didn't try to stop it, however. It was just another thing that made Jack angry, so I had no problem keeping the sea restless.

I pulled out the cork from the bottle, unable to hear the pop! over the sound of the waters. With each crash against the sides of the ship the waters misted me with cold droplets. It was refreshing. It added to the calm experience of being alone. I took a drink as I rose up and down with the motion of the ship.

I felt foosteps reverberate off of the wooden floors, making their way to me. Someone was awake, and I had one guess. But I didn't have to worry, he couldn't find me even if he wanted to. I listened, nonetheless, as his door opened and he climbed the steps to the helm. He paced. He was most likely biting his nails, a distant look in his eyes. One hand would be clenched into a fist behind his back, and his eyebrows would be furrowed.

Why did I know him so well?

I took another swig, and the waves took a slightly nasty turn. I had to calm myself in order to prevent the water from reaching me. I heard the footsteps leave, to somewhere else on the ship. I sighed. I was miserable. There were many times I seriously debated whether or not talking to Will about it would be a good idea, but I decided against it. I didn't want him slipping up to Jack, giving him leverage against me.

This entire situation reminded me so much of home. I would be asleep in my condo, my mother's light snoring sounding from the next room. I'd wake up, grab a coffee, and head off to work. Work, the idea made me laugh. I used to complain about having my picture taken. I got a gazillion free things out of it, a lot of money, and I met come cool people. Some. A select few.

Then there were the people who had my opinion about them warped. Like, Dylan. I cringed, thinking about him. He reminded me so much of Jack...I sighed, downing a large portion of the bottle. Dylan caught me hook line and sinker. He was a sweet talker, he was ridiculously good looking, and had a touch of arrogance. But I had originally thought he was just showing off to impress me, and I thought that was cute.

Dylan and I didn't work out. He insisted on me being a trophy girlfriend. Something I was not comfortable with. He dragged me to all the parties he was ever invited to, only to get physical with me in front of everyone. I was only ever a name in his book. Needless to say, he didn't last very long in my books.

Jack had so many of his traits. Arrogance, pride, he was vulgar, a womanizer, greedy, selfish, and immature beyond measure. He cared for rum and treasure. And lying to get his way. So why then, did I feel anything other than hatred towards him? I hated these feelings, but I hated not being able to explain them even more.

Some tiny, minuscule part of me believed that there was something more to Jack. But he kept finding ways to prove that theory wrong. Every time I began to be lenient towards the possibility, he would humor me for a moment before shoving reality in my face. God, I hated him.

Footsteps again. The water was strangely calm. I could hear him muttering to himself, causing me to roll my eyes. He was at the helm, most likely changing course. I had no idea where we were going. I didn't care either. I hoped that the next attack would come sooner rather than later. It would be so much easier to wipe out the enemy with my current level of anger.

The footsteps loomed closer and I heard the sound of Jack's compass slamming shut. I fumed, and the ocean mimicked me.

"Ello Kitty." He taunted. I looked up at him smirking while standing over me. I cringed, the stupid memory rushing over me before I had a chance to stop it.

He towered over me, breath tainted with the smell of alcohol. My eyes were big. His were slit into glares, as he tried desperately to focus on me. His features were twisted into fits of anger as he growled and breathed his hot breath on me. I cringed away from it, like hot air from a dragon's mouth.

"C'mere, kitty. We're goin' on a trip." He said, grabbing my arm tightly and heaving me towards the door. I screamed out.

"Mommy!" I cried. He halted, turning to face me with a terrifying look in his eyes. He released my arm only to hit me across the face with his free hand. His other clutched a half empty bottle of vodka. The last time he took me on a trip he dropped me off at a hotel with five bucks and a candy bar while he went out to drink. It was his revenge against my mom whenever they fighted.

"Harold if you take her out of this house again I'm calling the police." My mother said feebly from the bottom of the stairs. She was wringing a dish towel in her hands. She couldn't stand up to him to save her life.

"Don't you go tellin' me what I can and can't do with my own girl!" He yelled, causing us both to flinch. I began to cry, and he yanked me off the ground and held me at arms length towards my mother. "Look! Look what you done! Made the damn squirt bawl like a baby. Well done, Maryanne." He spat. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks. He dropped me to the ground and I scrambled away. "C'mere Kitty. Daddy's takin' ya on a trip. Can it!"


"Jack Sparrow, you have just ordered yourself a death wish." I hissed, looking back out at the water.

"I'd like me key back, if you don't mind." He said in his captain voice. I scoffed.

"That's nice." I replied sarcastically.

"Now."

"I think not." I said, heaving myself back onto the railing and over onto the deck.

"Don't you forget that it's by my power ye have a place to sleep at night." He pointed out, unable to hide his frustration. My eyes slit into glares.

"Don't you forget why you have to keep me here, Mr. Sparrow." I spat. "Or that I could sink this ship in seconds if I wanted to. And captains always go down with their ship." I added. He cringed slightly, trying to keep his angry facade on.

"You'd have fun swimmin' back to the nearest town, then." He retorted. I rolled my eyes.

"I have no need to breathe underwater, I can propel myself through the waves, I can't die. So yeah, I think I would have fun." I said, raising my eyebrows.

"The key, or the rum." He said angrily. I smirked.

"Run out already?" I taunted. I handed him the half finished bottle and stalked off. I hated him, I hated him, I hated him. Going below deck, I passed my room and creaked open the door to Will's room. He was sound asleep. I slid across the wooden floors to his dresser and opened a few drawers until I found what I was looking for.

I walked out just as quietly, tying the belt around my waist and heading into my room. I took a piece of fabric out of my drawer and tied it into a makeshift holster for a sword on the belt. Opening another drawer, I froze. It was gone, the scimitar. I huffed, slamming it shut before walking back above deck. I threw Jack's door open ignoring his expression as I immediately began searching for it.

"Can I help you?" He asked. I spun to face him.

"Yes, actually you could." I hissed. "You can start by growing up, losing your ego, quit being a pathological liar," I took angry steps towards him while I spoke. "Don't touch anything in my room without asking, and stop being such an-" I paused after each word to hit him" Incon-cievable-ass-hole!"

I was fuming, anger boiling over and out of me beyond my control. My eyes were beginning to water because he made me so furious. He didn't react as I collided my fists with his chest. He didn't stop me, or object, and it made me even more mad. I turned so he couldn't see the tears welling up in my eyes. I dropped to my hands and knees to look under his bed. Bingo. I took my time to grab it so that I was sure I wouldn't cry. I stood up, shoving the blade in the holder I'd made, and stalked out of the room. I heard his unsteady footsteps follow me and I sighed heavily.

"Can you honestly not take a hint?" I said, exasperated as I went to turn to face him. The sea was roaring, churning the Pearl tremendously. I felt it begin to rain, and heard a threatening boom of thunder. Lightning would ensue. He paid no mind, and the rain came down heavier and heavier.

He stuttered out incoherent words, squinting through the storm. A white bolt zigzagged through the sky, and I closed my eyes. The sea calmed a little, but not enough.

"Just...stop." I whispered, leaving him alone in the middle of my masterpiece.