Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

When We Kiss Our Scars Align

I closed my eyes. Scarlett was stroking my hair, and the both of us were crying silently. I couldn't move, my limbs and muscles and brain drained of all energy. I felt dead already, and I knew there wouldn't be any fight I could put up to save myself, let alone Scarlett.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered to her. She laughed slightly, and a few of her tears were forced down onto my face. I was curled into a little ball, my head resting in her lap. I didn't want to end because of Beckett. But at least it would be with someone like Scarlett.

"I'll see you in heaven, girl." She whispered back as Beckett neared the end of the staircase. I wondered what it would feel like. I wondered how long it would take. I wondered what heaven would be like, if I was lucky enough to get in.

There was a grunt, and Scarlett gasped. My eyebrows furrowed, and I realized I should open my eyes. I creaked them open, and saw the body of the guard fall to the ground. His eyes were locked open, like his jaw, as he spurted out his final breaths. Nothing more than gurgles as his figure laid before me. I crunched my eyes shut, dizziness taking me over.

"Half-barrel hinges?"

"Leverage."

I knew those voices. At least, I think I did. Maybe I was just hallucinating. Maybe this was all just a ruse. There was some banging, and Scarlett clutched me to her. There was a creak, and a bang, and footsteps. Separate arms wrapped around, and I was suspended in the air. I opened my eyes. I knew that smell anywhere.

"Jack?"

"Ello love." He said quietly.

"Be careful with her." Scarlett said, and I heard her get up. But my eyes were locked on Jack's. He was looking at me in the pitiful state I was in, frowning at the obvious deterioration I had sustained. Tears began to spring from my eyes profusely, as I grabbed fist fulls of his shirt in either hand. I pulled myself against him, staining his shirt with my tears.

"What has he done to you..." I heard him mumble.

"Jack, we have to go." Will said. I looked up at him, unaware he was even here.

"Scarlett." I said sternly, looking back at her. She looked at me, smiling weakly as she propped herself up on the cell wall. Will held beckoned for her to follow, and Jack carried me out as my lungs began to overwork themselves in their already sorry state.

After that I stopped. Stopped listening, stopped seeing, stopped feeling. All I could do was think. I was free. I was rescued. I was alive. I had once again curled myself against Jack, holding myself tightly to his body. I began to tremble slightly, every bit of my body aching. I was pretty sure I fluttered in and out of consciousness, but we made it outside.

Fresh air floated gleefully into my nostrils. Air tainted with the scent of the sea. My entire body felt rejuvenated merely at the smell. We got closer, my mind void of all things except my return home. A felt air whoosh past me occasionally, but I paid no attention. I felt the water. I felt it, and I controlled it. I felt it begin to pick up speed, sway the ships within it side to side.

I opened my eyes, and immediately became aware of the bullets being fired at us. I smirked. We got onto the dock, and I pushed myself out of Jack's grasp. He looked at me, confusion and anxiety painted on his face. I smiled faintly through my rehabilitated form.

"I need the ocean. I'll catch up." I promised, taking a few steps towards the water. However, his arm wrapped around mine, and I turned back to face him.

"I ain't leavin' you again." He said seriously. Something tingled inside of me, and I realized how much I had missed him. I took his hand in mine, leading him to the end of the dock. He said something to Will that I missed.

"Take a breath..." I said quietly, a bullet zinging past me. Pulling him forward with me, we toppled into the ocean. I felt like I was on ecstasy. Every single part of me woke up, felt better. I propelled down much further than I had anticipated, and realized so when bubbles of air from Jack drifted above me. I took one last moment for myself before bringing us back up.

Jack gasped for breath as we broke through the surface, but I was absolutely fine. I felt like I was in a video game and just drank some major health potion. I only felt the slightest bit hungry or tired, and the Pearl was coming up beside us. Once Jack's lungs were back to normal I turned to him.

Placing my hands on either side of his face, I pulled him into an intense kiss. It normally would have been hard to do, considering we were in water, but some subconscious part of me elevated us. One of his hands made contact with my side, sending a shock wave through my body. I pulled away, ignoring how much he could use this vulnerable state I was in against me.

"I fucking missed you." I said quietly, the Pearl beside us. A rope ladder was thrown over the railing.

"Come on." He said, beckoning for me to go up. I knew how much he was trying to say something similar. I was really pushing him out of his comfort zone. I climbed up and loved the feeling of being on the ship. I was home. Will pulled me into a delicate hug, treating me as a breakable china doll. He slipped a blanket around me, and I held it tight against my form.

"Thanks, Will." I smiled.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"I am now." I replied. My eyes then flew to Scarlett, who was hovering awkwardly behind the crew, whom were all looking at me. I smiled, pushing through them and pulling her into a hug. I was pretty sure my eyes were beginning to water as well. "Welcome to your freedom." I whispered.

"I can't thank you enough, Cat." She whispered back.

"I told you we'd make it out." I smiled, and she laughed.

"You failed to mention that Jack was the Jack Sparrow." She said, and I blushed slightly.

"I don't remember mentioning him at all, in my defence." I replied.

"You alright, love?" Jack asked from behind me. I turned partially, and saw that he was dripping wet. I smiled.

"Yes. This is Scarlett, she kept me sane. So she's staying." I said, the last part more sternly.

"If ye say so." He replied, and barked some orders at the crew, whom were standing around doing nothing.

"How about you? Are you okay?" I asked Scarlett. She nodded.

"Just a few scratches." She smiled.

"Will, would you mind helping her out a bit? I haven't exactly got the same medical skill you do." I said, and he smiled. I watched as she walked off with him, and I turned to walk to Jack's cabin. He was sitting at his desk, looking at some maps. I rolled my eyes as I closed the door behind me. I crossed my arms.

"That's it?" I asked, feigning anger. He furrowed his eyebrows, standing up cautiously.

"Eh?"

"I'm gone for more than a week, and you just walk away?" I taunted, walking closer to him. He narrowed his eyes, trying to see if I was actually angry or not. I let a faint smile crack.

"Thought ye'd want to be with your new friend." He replied. I rolled my eyes.

"I've been with her for the past week, Jack." I said quietly, and he took another step towards me.

"Glad to know you're a bit homesick." He said, carefully uncrossing my arms. I raised an eyebrow. "As pretty as ye are when you're angry, I like ya much better when you ain't." He explained, causing me to hold in my laughter.

"You must not like me that much." I joked. He smirked, his hand resting under my chin.

"Missed you all the same." He replied, and pulled me into a kiss. My hands flew around his neck as he held me. It was like we were fighting to show who cared more physically, cause we both sucked at doing so verbally. I collapsed backwards onto his bed, but neither of us were phased by it. Through a fit of spontaneous movements, I ended up pressed against his chest, pinning him beneath me. His thumb brushed my cheek as I finally pulled away.

Breathing heavily, I fell down beside him. My left arm was stretched up and fiddling with a beige button on his shirt. It was different from all the rest, I noticed. He stopped my movements by grabbing my wrist and pulling my forearm to his eyes.

"Beckett did this?" He asked, and I remembered the scratch marks. I nodded. "Thought this kinda thing went away?"

"I did too. I guess cause I was away from the sea and all..."

"What else did he do?" He asked quietly. I bit my lip. Did I really want to tell him? Yes. I explained shortly what had happened over the course of my absence. Whatever hate he harboured for Beckett beforehand was multiplied tenfold now. He asked to see the bruise on my back.

I wriggled out of his hold, facing away from him. I slipped my hands under his old shirt and pulled down the top part of my dress. Then I let him lift up the back of the shirt, and he paused while he looked at it. I had no idea what it looked like, but I assumed it wasn't too pleasant. His fingertips grazed the mark, sending chills up my spine. My back arched slightly because of the tickling sensation. He grunted, and I pulled the dress back up.

But our encounter was halted by the sudden BOOM! of a canon. It wasn't our canons being fired. I rolled my eyes, seriously not in the mood for an interruption. Least of all from Cutler Beckett. I frowned as I looked up at Jack. He smiled slightly.

"Maybe a little wind would help?" He offered, and I smirked. I closed my eyes, feeling as the sails were caught. I held the wind there, opening my eyes and looking at Jack.

"There's something I want to try." I said cautiously.

"CAPTAIN!" I heard Mr. Gibbs cry from behind the door. Jack smirked.

"What would that be?" He asked. I leaned forward.

"Kiss me. I need to try and focus on two things at once." I replied.

"Aye, I think I can help you there." He murmured, and as soon as I closed my eyes he touched his lips to mine. I focused on the wind propelling is away from the enemy. He kissed me more passionately, and I struggled to keep up with both things that claimed my attention. But after a minute or so, I could do it. I reckoned we were going considerably fast, because Gibbs was at the door once more.

"Nevermind!" He called, and I laughed against Jack's lips. Pulling away, I looked up at him.

"Thanks."

"Anytime." He replied, and I laid down beside him once more.