Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Deal Me A Crippling Blow

I was standing at the window in Jack's room, watching the waves roll casually. For the first time in a while I felt like myself. I knew it was nothing more than a brief phase, but I enjoyed every second of it. It was only a matter of time before the unknown rolled over me like sheet; blanketing my vision and confusing me.

The sea was peaceful now. Calm. We were heading at a steady pace towards Tia Dalma's. We would be there early tomorrow, and then everything would be fine. At least, that's what I hoped. No, everything would be fine. I had to believe it. Tia would explain everything and tell me what to do. Then the world would be right again...

I heard Jack cross the room and come up behind me. Both of his arms snaked around my waist as he proceeded to hover his head beside mine. His breath was hot on my neck, sending shivers up my spine. I could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

"I'll be needing me shirt back, love." He murmured. I laughed lightly. It was the only item of clothing I was wearing on my upper half, so I would have to find my dress before I could give it back. If I planned on giving it back, that is.

"I'm not entirely sure that I want you to have it back." I teased. He gently turned me in his grasp. I could see that he was still being careful. I was subject to sudden and unexplainable mood swings, much to my dismay. His dismay too, probably. He'd fallen for a volcano. He lowered his lips to mine, and I had no choice but to give in. His fingertips trailed up my bare legs, until he reached the end of the material clothing me. He began to lift it up, but I stopped him.

"Nothin' I haven't seen before." He teased, smirking. I rolled my eyes.

"Find me my clothes first, Sparrow." I mumbled, averting my eyes. He grabbed the blue dress off of the chair to his left, handing it to me. "How the hell did it end up over there?" I muttered.

"Well,-"

"That was a rhetorical question, Jack." I interrupted. I turned away from him to slip the shirt off, throwing it behind me for him to catch while I slipped on my dress. I didn't want him to see me blushing. I was so worried that he'd give up me. There was some part of me that was terrified he'd got what he wanted, and was ready to move on.

I turned around, scanning the floor for my nylons. I located them quickly while Jack put his shirt on, followed by all the other layers of clothing he wore on a daily basis. I made sure that I had everything on properly, and tried desperately to make my hair less...wild. I settled for just tying it up with the ponytail holder that had (somehow) stayed on my wrist.

I grabbed a bottle of rum off of Jack's desk and left without so much as a goodbye. The sun blinded me when I first walked out, but I got used to it quick enough. Jack's footsteps echoed behind me as I inhaled a few breaths of fresh air. I continued across the deck to the staircase that led below.

"Where ya goin'?" He asked, and I smiled ever so slightly.

"I'm going to ask Will and Scar if they want to drink." I said, holding up the rum bottle for him to see and swishing around the contents. I came to Will's door, twisting the handle. "I think it's time for a little party with- Oh, Jesus uh, sorry-" Jack did the favour of closing the door for me to stop my babbling.

"Seems ye miss quite a bit, love." He teased, but it didn't sit well with me. Will and Scarlett were in love? Well, I had just seen them kissing so I figured that much. How could I be so selfish that I couldn't even be there to share this happiness with my closest friends?

The door swung upon, and both Will and Scarlett looked terribly guilty. I stopped my fretting and smirked.

"Should have locked the door, Will." I winked. He averted his gaze from mine. "Tell you what. Jack is going to go get three more bottles of rum. If you two want to join us, feel free. If you want to go back to...whatever it is you were doing then don't worry- we're perfectly capable of finishing these ourselves." I smiled, and turned to walk away.

"Oi!" Jack called out, frowning. I raised my eyebrows.

"What?"

"Why does I have to get the rum?" He asked.

"Because I told you to." I said simply, shrugging. His teeth clenched, and I smiled sweetly. He huffed, grumbling as he walked in the opposite direction. I shot a smile at Will and Scarlett before returning above deck. I took my comfortable spot on the railing on the starboard side of the Pearl. A few crew members were on deck, but most were taking advantage of the favourable winds (I figured my good mood benefited everyone) meant everyone could nap.

I pulled out the stopper in the bottle, taking a swig. I winced as the silence brought about the oh so familiar questions. I groaned, not wanting to lose this feeling I had right now. I didn't want to go back to my philosophical debates with myself, questioning everything. Maybe I could just sleep for a while after this, pass some time. Your mind couldn't wander when you were sleeping.

Will and Scarlett appeared first, and I made an effort to act like nothing was different. I didn't want to make them feel awkward or anything, it thrilled me to see them together. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how great they would be together. I smiled at them as they approached me, Will leaning against the banister beside me, Scarlett beside him.

"Come to join the party?" I asked.

"You look better." Will remarked, and I smiled.

"I am. Much, much better." I replied.

"Not too surprisin', considerin' last-" Jack began, but I immediately cut him off.

"If you value your life I suggest you shut your mouth, Sparrow." I hissed, causing him to smirk. I heard Will laugh lightly, and glared at him.

"Don't be mad at the boy, Cat. Pretty sure the whole bloody Caribbean heard." He taunted. I rolled my eyes, praying to God that I wasn't blushing.

"Don't be greedy." I said, nodding towards the rum in his hands. I detested letting him win. It made me feel weak. He handed the two bottles in his left hand to Will and Scarlett before taking his spot to my right. I took another gulp from my own bottle before lying backwards along the railing. I inhaled, and exhaled.

"You're going to fall, Cat." Scarlett laughed.

"I can swim." I smiled. I could do so much more than swim.

Image

"Looks like we've run out." Will remarked, looking at all of our empty bottles. "I'll go get a few more?" He offered.

"Yes please." I said, still lying on the railing as Will took a few steps away.

"I'll come with." Scar said, and she cast a smile my way. I winked at her as the two of them disappeared below deck.

"They're so fucking cute." I remarked. Jack grunted. He was silent for a bit, something that wasn't normal. "Jack?" I called, turning my head to face him. He was biting his nails. I sat up, letting the empty rum bottle fall into the ocean. I hopped off the banister. "Jack what is it?" I asked, beginning to worry.

He turned to face me, and I didn't have time to place the look on his face before he pulled me into a sudden kiss. He held me against him with one hand, confusing me terribly. The kiss was too urgent, too needy to be accepted. I pushed away from him, scouring his face for answers. I didn't have to, though. He briskly walked away from me, down below deck. I stood alone, dumbfounded. My gaze fell to my right; and caught what he had seen.

A fleet of 7 ships were hot on our port. How they had gotten so close without us noticing was beyond me, but I knew exactly who it was. Beckett. Good, I wanted him to come. Let him see what I was made of. I stepped up onto the railing, cracking my neck, as well as my knuckles. Jack's voice bellowed below deck. Shuffling feet, the cannons being loaded. Guns being cocked. Swords at the ready. This was a fight.

One breath in, one breath out. I had all the time in the world. All...the time...in the world. As the last syllable rang through my head, whatever powers I had took over. I couldn't see straight anymore, my vision was clouded; dark. I could feel where the ships were, however. A monstrous wind ripped through the canvases of the enemy ships. Ships all flying the East India Trading Company flag. I twitched my head at the gleeful sound of torn sails.

Where to start? I scanned the ships, locating Beckett in the middle ship. I would save him for last. They were almost at us now, I had a minute at best. Smiling, I gathered the air around me with my hands. Twisting to face the general direction of a few ships, I released it. Water charged at the hulls of the ships, cracking and breaking into them.

Again and again, I threw hit after hit at the approaching enemy. I did much more damage than necessary, just to show Beckett what I was made of. I felt little bits of pressure on various parts of my skin, but I paid no mind. I was focused on the task before me. I took a minute to see how many were left, and I counted 3 other than the Endeavor.

It took no time at all to ruin them all. With minuscule movements on my part, I did horrific damage to those opposing the Pearl. I would float in and out of moments where I was the ocean. There were a few moments here and there when I would feel ominous and superlative and unbeatable. I would see myself crashing into the wooden walls with extreme force and catch the glimpses of soldier's faces as I claimed them. But it was only ever just a feeling.

The cannons were pointless at this point. They were almost on us. I turned the ship with the waves, making it parallel with the Pearl. With a final nod of my head I pulled the ship towards us harshly. I taunted them, begging them to come. Something pulled on me, and I stumbled out of my daze. I looked around for the source of the commotion, but I couldn't see. Everything was dark. I blinked hard a few times, and shook off the feeling.

Jack, Jack was in front of me. He looked at me anxiously. He was gripping my arm much tighter than he had planned, and immediately let go.

"Your eyes..." He muttered, scrutinizing my face. "They was...blue." He said, planks lowering onto the Pearl. It didn't phase me. I took my sword from my side.

"Sometimes eyes look different in different light, Jack." I muttered.

"They was covered in blue, Cat." He growled. I frowned, that wasn't possible. Only the iris could have a colour. Right? A voice bellowed from across us, and then in turn from behind us as the two crews met head on.

"Shall we?" I said, motioning to the battle soon to involve us. He wearily turned away from me, taking down a soldier before he could even realize what was happening. I sighed, turned around and following suite. The Endeavor had many more crew than the Pearl, but we were all much better at fighting dirty. Not to mention we weren't wrapped up like mummies in a bunch of ridiculous clothing.

Swing after swing, hit after hit, I was numb. The blood glimmered on my sword with help from the sun. It made me queasy. I didn't like playing hitwoman. But this was what I had to do, not what I wanted. I would duck, dodge, lunge, stab, slice, and try to block my ears from the sound of their screams and mumbles as they collapsed to the ground.

The Pearl was a battlefield. I was on the winning side, just as I always knew I would be. My head began to spin again, and I groaned. Why now? With one final death blow, I looked around at the crew of the Pearl. A few had some injuries, but nothing we couldn't handle. I searched for the one person who I wanted to kill myself.

Locating him, I saw him cross the planks and step carelessly over the numerous dead. He smiled evilly at me before walking away. He was flanked by a guard on either side. I angrily followed after him as some of the crew caught sight of a rising scene. I swung my sword through the air a few times as I approached him. He cocked his pistol and pointed it at the one person I couldn't live without.

"That's close enough." His voice ordered. I clenched my teeth, glaring at him. How dare he tell me what to do? He sighed lazily. "Now that I've got you where I want you, let's talk business, shall we?"

"What the fuck do you want." I spat through gritted teeth. He smiled, cocking his head to the side in an arrogant manner.

"You, Calypso. I want you to help me exterminate the competition. All you have to do is what you've already done here today. Just to different people." He said simply. "And thanks to Mr. Sparrow's daring rescue I know exactly how to make you do it." I took a step towards him, never dropping my eyes.

"You need to understand something Beckett. I made a promise to a dear friend of mine that you would die one day. And I don't break my promises. Here you stand, unable to kill me. I could take you out in 2 seconds flat. That's so fast you won't even know something is going to happen until it's too late." I said, raising my eyebrows. He took a step towards me, but kept the pistol aimed at Jack.

"If you so much as walk one more step in my direction I'll shoot." He smirked.

"Well that would be a terrible waste of gunpowder, seeing as Jack's immortal." I replied nonchalantly. Beckett's left eye twitched momentarily, and he swallowed hard. "We stopped off at the Fountain of Youth after I escaped your little prison."

"Charming." He said stiffly. His head cocked to the side as his fingers twitched. He applied pressure onto the trigger. I watched in horror as a bullet cut through the air, smashing into Jack's chest. And another one. And another one. He fell to the ground, teeth clenched in pain as he held the various spots. My eyes froze open for half a second, and time stopped.

I was cast into the slide show, seeing everything that had happened, everything that was happening, and everything that was going to happen. I saw every bit of time I had ever lived on the Pearl. Whatever bit of me that was human died. It was shred to pieces by the burning hatred and overwhelming loss. I was a goner, I knew that. Jack was dying, Jack was dying, Jack was dying. Smoke flew from the mouth of the pistol, turning invisible in the air after it reached a certain altitude. Beckett blinked once, and his head rotated slowly back to me.

Time was normal again. I took one step towards him, and another. He rose the gun to me, shooting a bullet straight through my head. I felt a gentle pressure go through a straight line in my brain and then exit, but no pain. Beckett's eyes were glued open as he took an unsteady step backwards. With one fatal movement I thrust my sword upwards through his mouth, delving it deep into his brain. I released the blade from my grasp and watched as he sunk to the floor.

The guards fled back to their ship. I slowly turned over to Jack. His breaths were raspy. The blood from his wounds leaking onto the floor. I began to tremble, walking over to him. I knelt beside him, ignoring the feeling as warmth seeped into my clothing. By the time he turned to face me my eyes were shedding tears profusely and my entire body was shaking. He smiled weakly.

"Don't let Will steer me ship." He breathed. I choked back the whimpers I was dying to let go. He couldn't leave. He couldn't...His blood stained hand held mine steady, as he pulled me close. "This wasn't your fault, love."

"D-don't you leave me." I demanded, gripping his hand tightly. All he did was smile. One second, two seconds, three seconds, no heartbeat. I held my fingers on his wrist, determined to feel the slightest hint of life at all. Nothing. "No..." I said quietly. "No..This-this isn't...No!" I cried, louder. "You can't be dead, you can't be dead, you can't be dead!" I said repeatedly, as if the chant would bring him back. I felt like my insides were put through a paper shredder. I felt messy, diseased, incomplete. This wasn't happening.

"I'm sorry, Cat." Will said quietly at my side, placing a hand on my shoulder. I winced away from it.

"Don't touch me!" I cried, beginning to hyperventilate. I flinched at the staggering amount of pain that I felt within me. He couldn't be dead. Not now. Not when everything was right. I gently collapsed onto him, willing him to be alive.

With every atom in my body, with every tremble of my muscle, every beat of my heard I willed him to live. His death was something I couldn't stand for. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was over. But that part of me was so small, so insignificant. I was more than happy to let the rest of me take control. I thought that if I just stayed for a few more tears, fate would change and I'd have him back.

I was lying there a while. Long enough that the blood began to dry in the heat of the sun. Will didn't leave my side. Jack's blood stained my clothes, my skin, my hair. He covered me. This last little bit of him.

"Cat..."

"He can't be gone!" I whimpered. Will's hand touched my shoulder gently, testing to see if I would flip again. But I was all out of blind rage, or extra tears. I had nothing left to give. I realized now it was time to go. Standing up carefully, one last tear fell down my cheek and onto this lifeless body. A tremble took over me again, only this time I had no control.

I gasped in a breath, and my mind went black.