Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Adjusting

Yawning, I rolled over in my bed. Well, it wasn't my bed, but Rob told me this place was mine for the weekend so I assumed I could call it my own. I had had the most vivid dream after I fell asleep. I got off the bed and rolled up the covers as I remembered the two pirates I had met. And if my memory served me, Captain Jack Sparrow was pretty freakin' attractive. Will wasn't too bad either, but he reminded me too much of Rob for me to consider him into my calculations. Rob was like a brother to me.

I shuffled across the planked floor, ascending the spiral staircase up to the main deck. My eyes were half shut when I emerged from below, but clammed shut all the way from the blinding sun. It seemed to be around eight or nine in the morning, judging from the position of the sun. I walked across the deck, past the captain's quarters, and lazily dragged my half asleep body up the stairs to the helm. In front of me the calm waters of the Atlantic glimmered in the sun.

I inhaled and exhaled the salty air, hoisting myself onto the banister and dangling my feet over the edge. I had less than twenty four hours to relax as much as possible. I had another photoshoot to do tomorrow, and if I wasn't back home in time for my mother to brief me on my job she'd bite my head off. So I carefully laid back along the banister, balancing my body on the thin wooden beam running the perimeter of the ship. I didn't even know what the boat was called. But I didn't really care either.

I had forgotten to change out of my clothes before I fell asleep, and so I remained in my blue jeans and halter top. It made me smile, thinking about my dream. It was rather stupid of me to freak out so much, what happened in the dream was everything I could have ever wanted. I had always dreamed of having some greater destiny awaiting me, of taking an adventure in a far off place, of being a pirate.

But it was just a dream. A collection of thoughts and desires smashed into a sequence of images that didn't always entirely make sense, but always seemed perfectly logical at the time it was being concocted. 'A dream is a wish your heart makes' taught the fairy tale of Cinderella. And it was quite true in my case. I found myself beginning to miss the characters I had met. The beauty of the town, the kindness of Will, and the funny accent of Captain Jack.

"You're up early, eh?" He called. My eyes snapped open, and I sat up. My jaw dropped. I was standing face to face with Sparrow himself.

"It is real..." I breathed, suddenly overwhelmed with a happiness I couldn't quite explain. He looked from side to side.

"What is?" He asked, taking a step towards me.

"You, this place, everything." I smiled. "I thought I was just dreaming it all..."

"Is that a good thing?" He asked, confused by my emotions.

"It's amazing. It's...hard to explain. But if you could imagine, this is everything I've ever dreamed of." I confessed, staring out at the sea.

"Ye didn't seem all too thrilled yesterday." He said sarcastically. I laughed lightly.

"I don't have much to miss where I came from." I said quietly. "So I'm thinking I could get used to life at sea. As long as I can change out of these damn jeans." I said lightly, turning back to face him.

"Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I is taking quite the leap by letting you on the Pearl." He said matter-of-factly.

"Is that right?" I teased.

"Aye. You see, as my first mate will repeatedly say through the course of this voyage, it's frightfully bad luck to have a woman on board." He informed me, taking a few steps closer. "Ironically, naked women bring about the most good luck ever." He smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"Look Jack, I can handle any amount of flirting but that was out of line." I said, hopping off the banister and walking past him.

"Come on love," He said, grabbing my arm lightly before I could leave. "It's just a bit of pirate lore, savvy? Didn't mean to upset ya." He explained. I was reluctant to believe him, but realized that 1) he was just kidding around and 2) it wouldn't be in my best interest to tick off the guy letting me live on his ship.

"How long until we leave Port?" I asked, changing the topic.

"Soon as me crew wakes up. May I ask why?"

"Well I kind of need to get some clothes, and I need to go into town to get them." I answered.

"Nonsense, I reckon I've got a few odd things you could wear. Seeing as you 'aven't got a penny to your name." He smirked.

"Thanks to you." I teased.

Image

Jack had given me a few things of his he claimed he never wore, which was beyond curteous. It wasn't much. A loose shirt, a pair of black pants, some boots. He even managed to fish out a corset, and I didn't bother asking where it had come from. I didn't want to know. None the less, I sat the items in front of me, trying to figure out what altercations I could make so they were more suited for me. I had borrowed a short blade from Jack as well, and began hacking away at certain areas of the shirt. When I was done, I put the outfit on, admiring how good of a job I had done.

I rolled all of the spare pieces of fabric up and put them in my dresser. They would be useful as bandages in the future. I also folded my modern clothes, putting them in with the shirt reminants. Grabbing the knife off of the bed, I set out to return the blade to it's master.

Jack was at the helm when I emerged onto the deck, and I took my time as I met him at the wheel. His eyes were glued to the horizon, and he squinted as if something were there other than water. I didn't say anything, but held out the knife for him to take on his own accord. He noticed me, and turned to take it, but his eyes ran up and down my figure first.

"The bloody hell did you do to me shirt?" He asked, noticing the obvious adjustments.

"Shit, did you want it back?" I asked nervously, worried that I had fucked up.

"No, believe me love, it looks much better on you." He smirked.

"Thanks. For the clothes." I said, before turning and walking down the stairs. I went to the starboard side of the ship, admiring the beauty of the sea before me. I rested my elbows on the banister and sighed, feeling at peace. No, it was more than peace. Some part that dwelled deep inside of me felt like I belonged. As if somewhere in these vast waters contained the reason for my existence. My purpose in life.

I heard Jack walk past me and go below deck, but I made nothing of it. I was quite content above deck, trying to decipher this feeling within me. I heard a bit of yelling from below, no doubt Jack's voice, and a series of shuffling noises. Perhaps he was waking the crew? I wished Will was with me. I needed someone there in case things got sticky.

"Did you make that?" Will's voice came from behind me. I turned and smiled.

"Nah, this is just a muddled mess of stuff Jack gave me. I decided to get creative."

"Well whatever you did, it worked." He laughed. "Jack's waking the crew right now. He's decided we're going to tell them all you're my sister. Is that alright with you?"

"Of course." I replied. "I can't thank you both enough." I smiled, and turned back to face the ocean. Will came and stood beside me.

"Do you miss it?" He asked quietly. I smiled again while I formed my response.

"Not in the slightest." I replied.

"No?"

"I've got everything...Everything I need right here. And then some." I said.

"How so?" He asked, intrigue ringing in his voice. I turned to face him.

"I know this is going to sound odd, but I didn't really have much that made me happy where I came from." I explained. "Everyone is always rushing. Always late for something. My job was boring, and I really only had two people that kept me sane. Well, sort of."

"What was your job?" He asked, causing me to blush.

"It's silly, really. I stood in front of a camera and posed for hours on end." I said, fidgeting with my fingers. "I know it sounds stupid, but...Well, actually it is stupid. Most of the things from my age are stupid and pointless." I added, causing him to laugh.

"Who were the two people?" He wondered.

"Rob, and my mother. Rob was my best friend, and...promise not to get creeped out?" I asked, biting my lip.

"I promise."

"Well, you pretty much remind me of him in every way possible. Rob was the kindest, most caring and sweet individual you'd ever meet." I mused.

"I'm flattered." He smiled.

"You should be. Considering the fact that my mother wasn't all that great." I replied, averting my eyes. I knew he wanted to know more, but I didn't really feel like trash talking my mom. "So, I'm pretty happy here."

"I bet you'll be even happier when-" Will was interrupted by the roar of the crew as they came above deck. A few of the men nodded in my direction, but one came up to talk to me. He had a white and grey beard, but smiled kindly at me.

"Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner." He said warmly.

"Thank you, uh..."

"Mr. Gibbs, Miss." He said, introducing himself.

"Thank you Mr. Gibbs." I smiled.

"If you shall need anything, just gimme a holler."

"I will." I said happily.

Again, the feeling of belonging took hold. And somehow, I believed it to be growing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Her outfit:

Minus the corny pirate hat.