Sequel: We Belong to the Sea
Status: Complete

Look at the Stars, Look How They Shine for You

Bite Your Tongue

We were arriving at our last stop before we made it to the old friend of Jack's. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Things had been going well. And I quite liked being blissfully ignorant. Why did I have to know why I came? What if I was forced to go back? No, that wouldn't happen. I was here for good. At least, that's what I was hoping.

The Black Pearl eased into the port of some small and remote town. The crew weighed anchor and Jack barked out orders, something that always amused me. Jack was not intimidating, physically. He was neither magnificently strong, nor did he present himself as a generally angry person. So it was odd that others would take such a fear, and do everything he commanded without question.

Everyone slipped off of the vessel and scurried off in different directions once they reached solid ground. I watched them as they disappeared into the few shops and pubs. I had the ship to myself, watching as both Will and Jack glanced backwards at me before joining the rest of the men. I sighed, content with things. I pushed away the knowledge of what was to come and cast my eyes downward towards the glimmering sea.

Even in the darkness of night it was blue. The vibrant rays from the overpowering moon casting a dreamy glow onto the calm waters. The waters that would no doubt be comfortable. And then I got the desire to swim. It was the same ocean that I'd have swum in centuries from now. Just minus the busy crowds, the ugly men in speedos, the sharks, jellyfish, and the blistering sun. We were too shallow for predators, but deep enough for comfort. I smirked, slipping my clothes off until I was in my bra and underwear. It was just like a bikini, I figured.

I folded the garments and placed them on the railing, before heading to the deck. I was at the very end, my eyes glued to the awaiting waters. I prayed it was warm, carefully extending my leg and testing the temperature with my toe. I smiled, at the beautiful mixture of warm and cool I felt. Taking a breath, I gracefully dove into the sea, all of my muscles relaxing as the water engulfed me. It wrapped around me like a blanket, and I realized how much I had yearned for water.

Taking my time to resurface, I felt no rapid desire for oxygen. When I finally broke through I was smiling. My hair was slicked back, and I allowed my body to go straight and bob up to the surface. I floated peacefully. I took a moment to think about my mother. To really think about her. Did I miss her? Did I want to go back? I thought long and hard about the good times we had had. They were few. No, I would be fine here. I had no need to return.

"What did I say? Naked women, good luck. Glad to see ye finally took my advice, love." Jack said, his footsteps causing shock waves to reverberate through the water. I kept my eyes shut as he loomed closer.

"This is as good as a bathing suit is going to get for me, Captain." I replied with a little more spite than I had intended. He was at the edge of the dock, looking at me.

"Well I'd be more than happy to travel back with you and see some examples of these 'bathing suits'." He said, causing me to look at him.

"I'm going back?" I asked quietly, a little sadly even. His eyebrows squished together for a moment, before he shook his head no.

"A joke, love." He replied. I sighed in relief and allowed myself to float again, pushing myself slightly away from his direction and closing my eyes once more.

"When do we leave?" I asked, gently swaying with the waves.

"When I say we do." He replied. I sat up so he could see me roll my eyes, but I was paying far to much attention to him. And what he was doing. In this case, stripping down to his pants.

"What are you doing?" I asked, pushing myself back a little as I tried not to stare. His torso was marvelously decorated in tattoos, and his body proved that life at sea kept you nice and toned--er, healthy. I refrained from biting my lip, a nasty habit of mine that always gave me away, and instead turned my back to him, swimming out a bit farther.

"Coming in." He said. "Do you mind?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do." I replied curtly. He laughed lightly.

"Thought you would." He said before I heard a splash. This time, I most definitely rolled my eyes. It was weird, being in water. I hadn't been in such a long time. I had forgotten how easy it was to sense things, how I could say the distance between an object and me with my eyes closed. I heard him resurface, I heard the sound of his dread locks being thrown backwards against his head, and I heard him take in a few breaths of much needed oxygen.

"Do you ever listen?" I asked as he swam closer.

"Not particularly, no." He replied. I fought back a smile "You look awful cold, love."

"I'm just fine, thanks." I said.

"Is that why yer teeth are chatterin', then?" He teased. I heaved out a sigh and he came closer, his arms cutting through the water and gently wrapping around me. I wanted to protest as he pulled me against him so my back was plastered to his chest. Again, I fought the temptation to bit my lip. "Better?" He asked, his arms acting like a belt around my stomach. His head resting comfortably on my shoulder

"Your hands better stay right where there are, or--"

"Or what?" He challenged, dragging his hands up my sides. This time, I did bite my lip. I felt him turn his head towards my face, his breath hot on my neck. I needed to get him to stop. I needed to get out, dry off, make sure I was dressed before the crew came back. Why was Jack an exception?

"Jack..." I feebly protested, but he made no effort to stop. His lips made contact with my shoulder blade, and slowly but surely he trailed his way up to my jawline. I fought the feeling inside of me. This...this...desire. Yearning to continue. It wasn't right. I knew nothing about him, except that he was everything I should be steering clear from. His hand rose from the water, and his fingertips grazed my cheek, turning my face towards him. Our lips were inches apart, that stupid smirk on his face.

I pulled away. And as I did, he knew he'd lost. Coiling all of his fingers into his fist, he retracted his hold on me. The sense was knocked back into me and I removed myself from his presence, swimming over to the dock. I sighed before heaving myself onto the wooden structure, ringing out my hair, and smiling as I caught sight of Jack's boots. They looked in much better shape than mine did. Smirking, I slipped my feet into them and marched off.

"Oi! Those be my boots, love." He objected, swimming over as fast as he could. I paused, half way up the plank, turning to face him.

"I know. I never really listened either." I replied nonchalantly before quickly getting onto the Pearl. I was almost positive that he was mumbling curses under his breath, which only made the revenge sweeter. Picking up my clothes off the railing where I had left them, I briskly walked down to my designated room and locked the door. I slipped on my clothes again, not caring that my undergarments were still wet.

When there was a knock at the door, I retrieved the old pair of boots that I had been wearing and brought them with me to the door. I opened it to see quite the upset looking pirate leaning against my door frame.

"Me boots, love." He said, hiding his impatience. I smirked, handing him the pair and closing the door. I was in the process of locking it when he pushed it open, stepping over the boots he had placed on the ground. "There is a reason I gave you the boots I didn't wear, love. And that is because I do not wear them anymore, on account of they are much to worn, and uncomfortable, and not to my particular liking." He said dramatically, leaning close only to taint my oxygen supply with his scent.

"And there was a reason I told you to stop whatever you call what you were doing, Captain Sparrow." I replied, and he smirked.

"All ye did was say my name, Cat." He replied, his composure and arrogance coming back to him. "Somethin' you could get quite used to, if you'd like." He smirked. I rolled my eyes, resisting the urge to slap him.

"The door's that way." I said, nodding behind him. He held my gaze for a moment longer before suddenly spinning and walking away.

"G'night, love." He muttered as I followed him to close the door. I left a crack open just so I could get the last word in.

"It's Catalina." I hissed, locking the wooden barrier and sighing. I wanted to go inside of myself and murder every last wretched butterfly that had the bright idea of being born tonight. Jack was infuriating. But I would have to live with him. It was a small price to pay for the blessing I had received.