Status: Very Active

A Different World

Dwa

Alcohol is not my friend when I have an 8 am class the next morning.

I rolled out of bed with a pounding headache and realized Elisabeth honestly didn’t come back last night.

I smirked. I seriously cannot be baby-sitting that girl all semester. I mean, the best way for her to learn the American culture is to experience it right? What’s a better way than to go out by yourself?

Maybe pouring that drink on her head was a bit overboard, I realize that now. But at the time, it seemed like a good plan.

I grabbed my books and my purse and headed to history class as my phone rang.

“Speak.”

“Well good morning to you too babe.”

I smiled. “Pat, shouldn’t you be running or something?”

“I’m heading into UC now to lift some before practice. You headed to class?”

I rolled my eyes. “Unfortunately, gotta learn about World War II and its effects on the world.”

Patrick laughed. “Sounds… fun. What are you doing later?”

“Ignoring my roommate somehow I guess.”

He sighed. “Hun, maybe you should try to be nice to Elisabeth.”

“Oh I see. So you are Jon’s side too.”

“All I’m saying is that she is going to have a tough tim-“

“Yeah whatever. I’ll call you later.” I hung up on him as I walked into class.

Six hours and three classes later, I finally collapsed on my bed as I heard the door open. I looked up and saw Elisabeth with tears ready to fall down her cheeks.

“So how was your first class at the lovely DePaul University?”

She looked and me and sniffled. “It terrible. I know nothing.”

I watched her wipe away her tears and sit at her desk and open her English book.

“Ummm… Would you like some help with that?”

She looked over her shoulder. “No. I need learn by self. Remember?”

I sighed. “Look, what I said last night, might have been a tad out of line.”

“Out of line?”

“I shouldn’t have said what I did.” I explained.

“Oh.” She said as she turned back around to try to work on her schoolwork.

It stayed quiet for several more minutes before I pulled my chair over to her desk.

“Okay, what does Mr. Lemmings have you learning?”

“We learn proper word and sentence.”

I spent the next two hours working with her on what some words meant, me showing her a picture of an object, her saying it in Polish, me in English, and her repeating me, until my phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey it’s Jon, I am supposed to take Elisabeth out to get a cell phone, but I ran into Sharpy and got to talking. You two wanna meet us for an early dinner before I take her shopping?”

I smiled. “Sure. Give us thirty minutes and we will meet you wherever.”

After he told me where to meet them, we hung up and I turned to her smiling.

“I don’t like smile. Bad smile.”

I laughed. “Oh no. Good smile. Trust me.”

She looked skeptical. “Why smile? What going on?”

I started looking through my closet. “Well, we are going to meet up with Jon and Patrick for an early dinner, and then he is going to take you to get a cell phone.”

She picked up my phone and inspected it. “Like you phone?”

I laughed and pulled two outfits out of my closet. “Sure if you want. I’m sure Jon will buy you whatever type of phone you want.”

“Clothes? What wrong with outfit?”

I looked her up and down. “I am going to make you prettier, more American. Is that okay?”

She picked up a pair of my skinny jeans and black top to go with. “This good?”

I smiled. “Perfect.”

Forty five minutes later, after doing her makeup and doing something with her hair, we walked into the restaurant.

When I spotted Jon and Patrick, I grabbed her hand and walked over. The boys stood up when they saw us.

Patrick smiled and gave me a kiss. “I was starting to get worried Kate. We were about to send out the search party.”

I rolled my eyes. “We were just working on her homework for her English class and then we got ready.”

As dinner went on, I looked over and saw Jon and Elisabeth deep in conversation when I felt Patrick poke me.

“So you guys kiss and make up?”

I lightly smacked his arm. “I possibly apologized and offered to help her with her English. No big deal.”

He put his arm around me and kissed my temple. “I am proud of you. You aren’t a complete bitch.”

After dinner, as we were heading out, Elisabeth pulled me aside.

“I thank you for help earlier.”

I smiled. “It’s not a problem, I’m your roommate remember? If you need anything you can come find me.”

“Okay. See you at room later?”

“Well I don’t have class tomorrow so I was just going to stay at Patrick’s.”

Her face fell. “Oh.”

I thought for a minute. “But I will be back tonight sometime. I promise. We can work more on your English then?”

She beamed. “Yes! Okay.”

She gave me a hug and ran back towards Jon. I heard Patrick laugh behind me.

“What’s so funny hockey boy?”

“Oh nothing. Just the fact you turned down a night with me to help your roommate. You have never done that.”

I rolled my eyes and put my arm through his as we started to walk. “There is always room for change love.”

“And this is why I love you. So what do you wanna do with the rest of our evening?”

I smiled. “Shop? I need some new clothes, especially since it seems like I will be sharing my clothes this semester.”

Three hours later, Patrick was walking behind me carrying at least eight bags as I walked into a Coach store.

“Holy hell woman, are you done yet?”

“Why you got a hot date with your boyfriend Burish?”

He rolled his eyes. “No. Maybe I wanted to spend some quality time with my lovely girlfriend before she leaves me for the night?”

I turned around and smirked. “What do you call this?”

“I call this, ‘Katey’s shopping time which she can do without her boyfriend’ time.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine. We can go. Big baby.”

When we got back to his apartment, he put in ‘The Ugly Truth’ and settled down on the couch with me. Within minutes I was passed out like a light.

When I woke up, I was laying in Patrick’s bed with his arm around me. I smiled and snuggled closer to him, until I realized I was suppose to meet Lizzie at the dorm.

“Fuck.” I looked at the clock, 3 am.

I started to shake Patrick. “Pat wake up. I need you to take me back to the dorms.”

“Why now. Just go back to sleep.” He mumbled into the pillow.

“Cause I told Lizzie I would be there. Now wake your ass up or I will call go wake Adam up, and you know he won’t be too happy.”

“Fine, I’m up.” He said as he got out of bed and slipped on some sweats and grabbed his keys.

When I got back to the room, I entered as quietly as I could, only to see an empty room.

“Great.” I said to the empty room. “I wake up at 3 am to race back here and she ain’t even here.”

How perfect.