Status: unfinished

Island of Myths

Rescue

I didn’t dare look until I felt someone touch my arm. I flinched and let out a small, pathetic noise of fear when I felt it, but realized it was a human hand.
I heard Jason’s voice say “Natalie, are you ok? Natalie! Say something!” I opened my eyes and looked to see Jason sitting next to me and Jonny behind him kicking ogre butt. He had a worried look on his face, but at the same time he looked like he knew this would happen the whole time. Then again, he probably did. I didn’t care though. I just stared for a second, relief and thankfulness flooding through me. All I could do was hug him, and he hugged me back. I held back the tears, but I couldn’t believe he had saved my life. “It’s okay,” he told me. “You’re safe now.” Jonny was still beating up the ogres, and I laughed when he drop kicked one of them. Jason let go of me, and turned around to watch Jonny. “Yeah, he’s pretty tough, but I could do that if I wanted.” He smiled and I smiled back. “Oh, by the way, we picked up your jacket on the way over here. You left it by the river.” He handed it to me, and I put it on, thankful that I finally had something dry to put on.
“Thanks. I thought I was dead,” I said, still trying to hold back some eager tears.
“Hey, feel lucky you got this far. On our first try we got to the mountain before the river and got our asses kicked by a couple of birds.” We both laughed a little then looked over at Jonny, who had just finished destroying the ogres. He smiled as he watched the ogres disappear.
“Okay you two, time to get back to Kansas.” Wow, what a stupid joke about The Wizard of OZ. Thankful that he had saved my life, I held back the so many sarcastic comments I could have said. We got up anyway and walked over to the green coin. I was still holding on to Jason, mostly out of fear. “Now then,” he put one hand on Jason’s shoulder, and touched the coin with the other. In a flash of light we were back in the hallway in the mountain. Never had I been so happy to be on Phoenix Island. We walked down the dim hall and through the door, and instantly my friends bombarded me with hugs (which forced me to let go of Jason to hug them back) and saying how they were so glad I was okay. My side still hurt a lot, and the hugs weren’t making it any better, but I kept my mouth shut. After they made sure I was all right they started talking about how awesome that was, and how cool it was when I electrocuted the “sea monster” as they liked to call it. I didn’t bother correcting them now; I would tell them later that it was called the Lambton Worm.
“Yes, yes, that was spectacular! Now then, do you girls think you would like to do that as a group some time?” They all nodded our heads enthusiastically, and so did I, just not as much as them. Then again, it had to be better as a group then just me by myself. Well actually, I like going in by myself. It was kind of fun. “Excellent! That is... wait a second.” She was looking directly at me, pointedly at my right side. Then in the blink of an eye she grabbed my arm in one hand, and then hit me in the side with the other.
“Ow!” I collapsed to my knees in pain, and was clutching my side with the arm that didn’t hurt. “What was that for!?” I asked that, but I knew what it was for. She knew I had gotten hurt, and she wanted to prove a point.
“You hurt yourself when you fell, didn’t you? You shouldn’t keep those things secret, that’s what can get you killed. Let that be a lesson. Jason, heal her please.” He had the power to heal? He walked over and put his hand on my shoulder.
“No, its fine, I’m okay.” I lied and I gently pushed his hand away.
“Are you sure? You should really let me heal you.” I was still on the ground, and figured that it would be more convincing if I was standing up. I stood slowly, trying not to show any signs of pain, but I knew that was nearly impossible.
“Really, I’m okay.” I was on my feet by now, and I saw that everyone was looking at me funny. I let go of my side and stood up straight to make it a little more convincing, which didn’t help the pain. It didn’t matter, as long as I looked alright. “Seriously, I’m okay. It’s not like I’m going to die because my side hurts a little.” And that part was true; I wasn’t going to die because of that, and as long as I wasn’t going to die I was fine with putting up with it.
“I doubt that your ‘okay’. Shall we review the tape and see just how hard you fell?” Veronica asked, though she didn’t really want an answer, and she magically rewound to the part where the phoenixes were flying me over the mountain. I watched myself swing and kick them both in the face (NICE!!), and then fall to the ledge below, landing on my side (not so nice). I cringed, remembering how that felt.
“Dude, that one hurt me,” Jonny commented.
“That’s not all,” Veronica fast forwarded to the fight with the ogres. I watched the ogre sneak up behind me, grab me, and throw me across the field. Meanwhile it was playing with its brand new stolen powers.
“How did it do that anyway? Steal that orb thing from me, I mean.” I really was curious because that was weird.
“Well, ogres are one of the few creatures that have that power. The others are some demons,” Jason explained.
“Oh. Well that sucks. How come we can’t do that?”
“Because it’s considered an evil power to steal something from someone, so only evil creatures have it.”
“Hello? Can we know focus on this?” Veronica ordered and we turned our attention back to the screen. She fast forwarded a little and went to right when I was thrown the first time. I watched myself struggle to get up, then get hit with my own power. I cringed again as I watched myself hit the tree. I then realized that when I was on the ground after hitting the tree I had been holding my side, but I hadn’t even known I was at the time. I watched as another ogre came up from behind and threw me in the middle of the others as a fourth came out of the forest. I turned my head and looked away; I didn’t want to watch this part.
“What wrong?” Jason asked me when he saw me looking away.
“I was being a coward.” He looked at me questioningly. “I was being a spineless coward because I didn’t fight back; I just hid my head and gave up. I wasn’t even brave enough to look.”
“Just that you went in there by yourself was brave, and it was your first time. I would have done the same thing my first try. In fact I did something pretty similar, except I was being attacked by a bunch of stupid birds. Not to mention I had Jonny with me, so you weren’t being a coward.” I couldn’t help but smile. Just the tone of voice he used was amusing, and it actually made me feel a little better.
“So, after reviewing what happened are you still sure that you are ‘okay’?” Veronica interrupted.
“Yes, I am still sure.”
“Whatever you say.” She looked at Jason for a moment, he nodded subtly, and she turned her attention back to me. “So do you think you would want to go back in with your friends?”
“Umm...”
“I understand, once is enough for today. It’s probably getting late anyway; you girls should be getting home. Jason and Jonny will escort you to make sure no more demons attack. This would be a good time for Amy to test her teleporting power.”Amy looked like she really didn’t want to.
“It’ll be fine, you can do it.” Jonny encouraged.
“Okay, okay,” she said reluctantly. “Everybody grab hands and be quiet.” We did what she said and waited for a minute or so, but nothing happened. “Oh, it’s too hard!” She stamped her foot.
“Here,” Jonny said as he let go of Jason hand, walked over to Amy, and held her hand (and Julie’s). He closed his eyes as if trying to concentrate. “Now try.” She nodded her head, closed her eyes, focused, and within seconds we were standing back on the docks. The sun was just beginning to set.
“Whoa,” Amy smiled. “I did it. Thank you!” She was happy that she actually did it, and I was happy for her.
“Good job Amy,” I was dizzy again, but I got over it quickly this time.
“Yeah, good job, now let’s get you girls home,” Jonny said. “I’m hoping that you know the way to your houses?”
“No, really?” I said sarcastically. Jonny glared at me, and I glared back. The stare down was on, and everybody knew it. Everybody went quiet to watch. Eventually I said “You know you really should stop acting like a sore loser,” and I turned and began walking away with my friends following close behind. That’s right, I was the queen now, but that’s only because I knew he wouldn’t do anything with anyone else around. Or maybe he would...
“That’s it,” He walked over angrily and grabbed my right arm, hard. He got right in my face and told me quietly “I warned you once before, and I meant what I said. You better knock it off now, or else.”
“Make me,” I dared as I glared at him, my temper taking over, making me braver than I probably should have been.
“Gladly,” he squeezed my arm with superhuman strength and I screamed in pain. I could have sworn I heard a slight crack. Why was everybody picking on me today? Stupid question, right?
“Hey! Stop, you’re hurting her!” Jason yelled as he ran over and pried Jonny off of me.
“She deserved it,” he growled as he turned and walked the other way. I had a temper, everyone knew it, and sadly I also didn’t have much control, and couldn’t be held responsible for what I did when I was mad. I summoned a fireball, and was ready to throw it if I had to. Jason saw this and gently grabbed my hand, putting out the fire. Another power of his, great.
“It’s okay, just let it go.” He looked me in the eyes, and my anger instantly vanished, for the most part anyway. I looked away, and Jason put his hand on my arm.
“Ow,” I flinched away.
“Now will you let me heal you?”
“Am I going to die yet?” I answered.
“You are so stubborn.”
“I know,” and I kept walking. It hurt to move it, but I managed to get my hand in my pocket. I would probably be fine by morning. “So, Julie, you know this path better than we do, so why don’t you lead?”
“Sure,” she agreed quietly as she walked in front of us, and nobody really spoke for the rest of the time. As we walked we dropped Lianna and Amy off at their houses, but Julie lived two houses down from me so we dropped her off last. Then it was just me and Jason walking the short distance to my house.
After Julie was in her house (Jason had strict orders from Veronica to watch and make sure we get into our houses safely) he asked “Will you please just let me heal you? I know you don’t think it’s that bad, but Jonny is really strong.” I know, I felt it.
“I told you I’m fine, it will probably be perfectly fine by morning.”
“Could you at least let me look at it?” His eyes were pleading and I couldn’t say no. “Good.” He grabbed my arm carefully. “Where does it hurt?” He asked as he squeezed gently, not wanting to make it hurt more.
“Nowhere,” I lied. “I told you I’m fine.”
“I know you’re lying. Just tell me the truth and I will leave you alone.” I sighed, and decided to stop arguing.
“All down my side, but that’s not giving you permission to heal me.” This time he sighed.
“I told Veronica I would, and I don’t want to make her mad.” I knew that little glance meant something, and they thought I hadn’t noticed. Newsflash: I notice everything.
“Well just tell her I said no.”
“She will be happy to hear that.” He rolled his eyes. “Look, I don’t want to make her mad so you can either let me heal you willingly, or I can use my powers and hold you down while I do it. Your choice.”
“I choose neither.”
“Okay, but just remember, you forced me to do this.” He grabbed my arms, trying to make it so I couldn’t struggle free, but he was stupid enough to grab where I could still touch him with my finger tips. That was exactly what I did too, and I sent a jolt of electricity through him. I accidently made it a little too strong though because it sent him flying a foot or so, but it wasn’t strong enough to seriously hurt him. Not a lot I could do could seriously hurt him.
“Next time maybe you’ll listen,” I said as I marched up the grass to my house. I did feel sorry, but I wasn’t going to show it. I told him I didn’t need to be healed, even though I knew deep down that I probably really did.
“Fine then, but trust me, you’re not okay. Don’t worry though, once you realize that tomorrow I will be happy to help you,” I heard him say as I walked up to my door and unlocked the lock.
“Goodnight,” I sang and I closed the door behind me. It wasn’t a “good night” though. I couldn’t fall asleep because every time I moved my arm or rolled onto my side it hurt. Maybe I do need him to heal me I thought, but I instantly banished the idea from my head. I would not be weak, and eventually I drifted off into sleep.