Status: Working on(:

This Is a Dream

Hoodlums

I head home at ten because my mom wanted me home early and I walk in to find her already at the kitchen table, sipping what is probably her third cup of coffee.

"Morning," I say, heading up the stairs.

"One second, Caitlyn," I freeze, the only time she uses my full name is when I'm in a lot of trouble. It takes me a second before I even realize it's me she's talking to since I rarely ever hear it.

"Yes, mom?" I ask hesitantly, walking into the kitchen to stand near the table.

"Mackenzie called this morning to warn me that you have been putting off your dance classes and hanging out with inappropriate people."

My mouth drops open and I can do nothing but stutter stupidly at her for a few seconds, "That's ridiculous," I sputter, "First of all I haven't missed a class in three years. Second of all, they aren't inappropriate. The only one who's being inappropriate is Kenzy for calling you, she had no right."

"She is your friend and she worries about you," My mom snaps and then pauses, "So it is true? You are hanging out with others outside of class?"

I shrug, "You haven't worried about it before."

"Your other friends are not hoodlums who don't have the decency to dress appropriately to their own dance classes." She slams down her coffee cup down. "I will not have my daughter running around with children like that." She sniffs.

"Children?" I almost shriek, "Mom, I'm a senior, not a child."

"As long as you are living under my roof you are going to live with my rules," She walks over to the counter and pours herself another cup, "And I refuse for you to get sidetracked."

"Maybe I won't live under your roof then." I mumble quietly, so quietly I wonder if she even knew that I had spoke, but her shoulders freeze and without turning towards me she asks, "What did you just say?"

"I said, maybe I'll just leave." I say louder, braver now.

She scoffs, "Where will you go?"

"To the 'hoodlums'," I snatch up my bag and sprint out of the room and up the stairs, tears streaking down my face.

I reach my room and slam the door shut behind me as loud as I can, the second time I had ever dared to do so. The last time I had slammed my door my mom had taken it off of its hinges for three months before I had proved that I could have it again, meaning I had dance for three hours a day, every single day.

I yanked my suitcase out of my closet and shoved as much of my clothes that I could fit into it, taking care to pack dance things as well. I leave my dance trophies and besides clothes I only take a picture of me and my dad and my stash of a couple of hundred dollars from prize money and birthday and Christmas presents.

I pass by her when I head out the door and her eyes just stare at me as I walk out.

It's not a long walk to Hazel's and I know that she'll let me stay, but the tears flood my eyes again anyway.

When I reach her front door she opens it up with a wide grin, which falls off her face when she sees my expression.

"What's wrong?" She says worried, ushering me in.

"Do you mind if I stay here for awhile?" I ask as she wraps me in a hug.

"No problem, why don't you go and throw your things in your room. I have an extra bed from when I was younger and had sleepovers," She rambles on and I smile shakily.

"Thank you," I say giving her a hug.

"Your welcome," She pulls back at arms length and studies my face, "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks but I shake my head.

"Maybe later."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooohh? Comments?

Image

Banner for this story. Let me know what you think?(: