Status: Working on(:

This Is a Dream

Ashleigh

"So where were you last night?" Mackenzie asks trying to be casual as we stretch during warm ups. "I called a couple of times wanting to know if you wanted to watch a movie."

"I was at a party," I reply shortly, walking over to the mirror to try and avoid more questions, but she follows me over and starts to stretch at the barre.

"Anyone I know?" I shake my head as Madame walks in and the discussion closes. After class I rush out and ignore her as she calls after me. If I had stopped to talk she would have gone all twenty questions on me, almost worse than my mother. I say worse because I forgot to tell my mom that I was going to be staying over at Hazel's last night and my phone had died so she had stayed up most of the night thinking that I was in a ditch somewhere on the side of the road. It's nice to be worried about but my mom is seriously paranoid.

Later that night, I ignore phone calls from Mackenzie and throw together a new outfit for another class that Ty had invited me to. This time I am trying to look the part of I know what I'm doing, even though I have no clue. I toss a pair of short but loose shorts onto my swivel desk chair along with a looser top and flip flops so that I can kick them off and go barefoot later. Remembering to keep my hair messy and not so strict I flip off the lights and fall asleep almost immediately.

--

This time I'm prepared to walk through the doors and I push almost confidently through them, noticing that the gazes that meet me don't linger so long and they look more interested then hostile. I wave timidly to a few familiar faces and then throw my bag into a corner before collapsing into a pile next to Hazel, who is already stretching out her hamstrings.

I get started on stretching and look over to see how much of the class I remember. A few I do but I see a couple of people that I had either forgotten about or had not seen before. Including a tall dark haired guy covered in tattoos, a petite red haired girl, and a pretty brunette laughing loudly with a few of her friends.

They look friendly enough and so when the brunette glances over I catch her eye and smile slightly, earning a heated glare and a turned shoulder. I choose not to say anything to Hazel and instead focus on stretching out my lower legs, last year I had done little stretching because I was late to a dance session and it had resulted in a pulled muscle. Now I'm really careful about how much time I put into my stretches.

Later when Ty arrives I notice the brunette look over again and cast a glare in my direction I fight the urge to look behind me to see if she is aiming elsewhere but I can see perfectly well in the mirror that she is glaring at me. Two classes and I have already made friends, sweet.

"Who's the brunette?" I nudge Hazel and whisper over a sped up version of Alejandro by Lady Gaga.

Hazel subtly looks over in the direction that I lead her to with my eyes and she frowns and then sneers, "Ashleigh, she's a snob." She says and ties her hair back up into a ponytail. "She hates everyone except the selected few and even those girls are lesser then her so that she can make herself feel better."

I vow to stay away from her and then copy Ty's moves from the front of the room, running them through my head to commit them to memory. They're not hard but it's a different style then I'm used to so I pay careful attention to the little details. Like where his hands go, how his feet are turned, how cute his butt looks in those pants. Seriously, I paid attention to ALL of the details.

---

After the class I agree to walk home with Hazel and wave bye to Ty as he closes up the studio.

We start to go through the door and Ashleigh pushes pass us, sneering when she glances over before she struts down the street to her flashy convertible. Hazel waves her middle finger at her back and I laugh.

"What's her problem?" I ask, dragging my heavy bag down the sidewalk, "It can't be my dance skills can it?" Even though it is still dance, it's a lot different and I'm slow in places that I'm normally not. It's not pretty, and it sucks to not know what you’re doing a hundred percent of the time like I usually do. Twelve years of ballet will do that to you.

"You're doing great!" Hazel exclaims, "It's hard changing from one style to another."

"Spoken like someone with experience," I say suspiciously.

"Okay, I took ballet!" She shouts, causing passerby’s to stare with alarm. "My mom made me and I even kind of liked it." She hung her head in shame; “I'm waiting for the ridicule."

"Why would I make fun of you, are you forgetting that I take ballet?" I said laughing, "Just knowing that you're ashamed of it is enough for me; Even though you think that all ballerinas are cotton headed." I tease.

"Thanks, and I know one ballerina who isn't cotton headed." She said, throwing her arms around my shoulders for a hug, "But tell anyone about me and ballet and I will personally fill your head with cotton.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?
It'd be appreciated.
(: