If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

Movies and Unspoken Jealousy

Wait a second I kissed Billie? No that was a dream, it was no dream I grinned idiotically before looking down and seeing my outfit from last night wrinkled and smelling of smoke. Uh oh I smelled of smoke and not just my clothes but my whole body, this would not be good my dad would realize that I hadn’t gone to the place we had told him. I quickly took my clothes off and hid them behind my door in the corner of my bathroom. I promised myself that I would go down stairs later to wash them. I took a shower and made sure to use all my fragrant products to hide the smell.
“Sam! Telephone!” my dad called from the kitchen.
“Alright I’ll take it up here.” I shouted not wanting my dad to smell the pungent cigarette scent that still clung to my hair. “Hello. Samantha speaking.” I spoke clearly into the receiver. After years of practice I had finally gotten comfortable with talking on the phone.
“Hey Sam its Billie” he was shouting over the screams of his siblings quarreling. “Would you guys SHUT UP I’m on the phone!” Billie screamed at the disruption.
“Jeez Billie, I didn’t know you liked to talk on the phone with that little girlfriend of yours so much,” I heard David remark.
“SHUT UP! Sorry Sam, I was just wondering what you wanted to do today since we’ve now seen the less demure ‘Sam’” I could tell he was grinning even though we were on the phone.
“Well I don’t know I met some people at Gilman Street, and I was going to hang out with them today,” I sighed sarcastically.
“What?!?” he exclaimed clearly believing me.
“Calm down Billie. I was kidding. How about we go to the movies or something?” I giggled, he was so dramatic.
“Okay I’ll check the listings, wait should I call Mike and Al?” He asked, happy once again.
“Yeah movies are fun, when you have people to pester, who know where you live” I snickered. The truth was that I wasn’t sure I would be so nervous if he tried something, or told me something that would break my heart if there were others around. I was afraid.
We checked the listings for movies in the paper and agreed to go see the latest thriller. Billie called Mike and Al, and invited them to come with us.
He came to pick me up with Mike bringing up the rear as we made our way to go get Al. When we reached the movies theater we all did our assigned duties. Billie went to go buy four tickets with some money from each of us. I went to the concession counter armed with a list of everyone’s favorite snacks and the rest of our money, while
Al and Mike went to go save us some seats. “Hey how much are nachos, a large drink, and gummi bears?” The guy in front of me asked the girl behind the glass counter, who frankly looked like she would keel over any minute from sheer boredom.
“Twenty dollars and five cents,” she replied in a monotonous voice, not even trying to sound cheerful and alert.
“GOD! Are you people crazy? Where’s you’re supervisor I want to haggle with him, ‘cause I don’t have that kind of money!” He ranted. Great he was one of those whinny guys who complain to everyone about everything! He turned around and I almost died laughing. “Hot Cakes!” He yelled, glomping me.
“Trè, what are you doing here?” I choked out as he gave me a giant bear hug.
“I’m seeing a movie with some girl, but since you’re here I guess I’ll be seeing a different movie!” He shouted proudly.
“What movie were you going to see?” I asked hesitantly.
“Some movie about unicorns that I’ve only seen a million times,” he said making a pish-posh motion. Of course you were, I thought. Wait, he was seeing that!
“Trè, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to leave your date to come see a movie with me so why don’t you scurry on back to her,” I buzzed, hoping he’d take a hint and go.
“Nah, I like you better and besides I’m not really sure who exactly I’m with…, so I’m freeing myself to be with you on this fine evening” he beamed. Great! This would definitely be interesting. “Hey Billie!” he yelled as a flustered, and mumbling Billie came out of the ticket area.
“Wha- Trè, what the heck are you doing here!?!” Billie dropped the tickets and bent down to pick them up as Trè and I made are way over to him. I felt an arm snake around my waist.
“Don’t,” I said firmly at him, he quickly dropped his hand and slid it into his pocket while the other one combed through his bright green hair.
“I guess you can come Trè but-“
“Sweet! I get to sit next to ‘Buttons’!” he exclaimed before Billie could finish, and giving me a stripper name. I looked away as he cocked his eyebrow at me. Ugh, awkward.
“Fine, just come on or we’ll miss the beginning” Billie sighed. When we entered the theater the lights we still on which meant we were still had a few minutes before the picture started.
“I have to go to the bathroom,” Trè announced, getting a pained expression on his face.
“So go,” Billie answered, reaching for his drink.
“I can’t,” the expression lingered as he began to bounce in his seat holding his…you know.
“And why not?” Billie asked before returning his gaze to a CD commercial on the screen.
“Trè the movie hasn’t started yet” I stated entering the conversation that was taking place around me.
“Yeah I know aren’t the advertisements the best!”
“TRÈ…” we both let out an exasperated sigh.
“Billie…psst Billie” Trè whispered while leaning in my lap. “PSST, Bill-EH”
“What!” Billie yelled, causing many people to turn around and let out loud ‘sshh’s.
“Are you done with your soda?”
“Yeah…why?” Billie questioned, while keeping his attention on a short that was being shown.
“Can I have it?” he asked getting a funny face.
“For what?” Billie raised his eyebrows and squinted his eyes at Trè.
“I’ll give you a refill!” he snickered.
“Ugh! No!”
“Come on man, the previews aren’t over and I really need to do number one”
“JUST GO!”
“Okay,” he said as the movie started.
The movie was terrifying. I grabbed Billie’s hand and he gave it a reassuring squeeze before looking back at the movie. A character was suddenly killed by some gory death trap and Trè started laughing maniacally. “…We’re in a movie theater,” was his reply to many angry glares. He just shrugged and turned back to the movie. Some stragglers sauntered in the darkness, trying to find a seat. It was their unlucky day because they had to pass Trè, who we for some reason had given the aisle seat to. “So what movie are you seeing” he said in a completely serious tone that is before making obscene gestures with his hands at the girl. The boy glared and the girl stared wide-eyed before they hurriedly continued up the stairs. Billie, Mike, and Al looked ready to hang Trè from a noose, whereas I suppressed my fits of giggles.
*** Mike’s P.O.V. ***
Man, Billie and Roadie have been holding hands the entire movie! I can tell that Billie has at least a small crush on her, I’m just curious as to whether she feels the same way or is just leading him on.”
*** Samantha’s P.O.V. ***
I had no earthly idea what was going on in the movie. What with Trè’s antics and my body going numb from the tingling from having my fingers laced with Billie’s. Was I in love with him?
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
I sang those songs for her, my heart stopped and soared through the clouds when her soft lips met my cheek, and now our fingers lay on the armrest intertwined giving me a felling I didn’t want to ever end. I think I might love her.