If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

The Rockstar Life

*** Trè’s P.O.V. ***
I know I’m not the best driver but I thought I was doing good; well until I rear-ended Sam’s baby (which sounds really dirty). We stopped on the side of the highway and took a look at the damage. A few scratches and a dent, not much if you ask me but Sam freaked out!
“WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!” she screamed.
“Sam calm down, you don’t want to faint again,” Mike tried to reason with her. She took a breath.
“But, but look at her,” we all thought she was going to cry.
“Look Sam I’ll pay to get it fixed okay,” I pleaded. My dad looked at me and seemed to say: “With what money?” I just grinned sheepishly at him and he sighed.
“Listen to that Sam, Trè said he would get it fixed. It will be as good as new in no time. So let’s just calm down and keep going, after all nothings severely damaged, we weren’t hurt. Everything’s fine.” Anastasia was the voice of reason in this situation.
“Fine,” she closed her eyes and began to walk back towards the driver’s seat. Man I lucked out!
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
I was furious, my car was damaged but it really could have been worse so I’m thankful it wasn’t; but you can be sure Trè won’t be driving again on this tour. No his dad, Billie, and Mike will all switch off , making sure Trè is in the back, buckled up and unable to cause anymore trouble…at least in the Bookmobile!
We made good time it was about nine o’clock when we reached the hotel we would stay at. The hotel was a bit strange it had the bathrooms connecting the rooms, but that didn’t stop me from taking a shower.
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
Trè’s dad has a room to himself which I would love to have. Mike Trè and I are all in the room that connects to Sam, Starr, and Anastasia’s room. The only part I think is weird is that instead of being connected near the living/bedroom area they are connected at the bathroom, but you take what you can get right!
I walked over to the vanity thing and grabbed a towel so I could take a shower before bed, which meant I could sleep in. I crept into the bathroom so I didn’t wake up Trè (who I can’t believe fell asleep so fast).
At last, my love has come along…My lonely days are over, and life is like a song. Oh yeah, yea... At last the sky’s above are blue, my heart was wrapped up in clovers…the night looked at you… I found a dream that I could speak to, a dream that I could call my own…I found a dream to press my cheek to…A thrill that I have never known Oh yeah, yea! And you smiled, you smiled oh and then the spell was cast…And here we are in heaven, for you are mine…AT LAST!” In the steam I could make out the silhouette of a girl in the shower. Beautifully she sang At Last, by Etta James, and her twists and takes on it seemed almost better than Etta’s (no offence Ms. James). I stood in awe of the amazing ‘shower singer’ even though I didn’t even remember why I was in the bathroom and that I was invading someone’s private concert for the shower head (let alone actually bathing!).
The water cut off and the curtain was whipped open by the girl.
“OH MY GOD!” we both cried as she tried to cover herself and I tried to look at something else.
“Billie you perv, what are you doing in here while I’m taking a shower?!?” Sam half-yelled, half-whispered (remember people, *cough*Trè*cough*, are sleeping).
“I-I was going to take a shower and then I heard you singing and, and I just sorta got lost in it. You have an amazing voice why don’t you use it,” I spluttered.
“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about” Sam tried to evade the subject.
“Oh come on, don’t be like that. We both know that you have some of the most talent I’ve ever seen or heard!”
“Yeah right…” she replied fastening her towel securely around herself. “Okay you can look now,” I turned to face her. Plastered to her head her hair looked shiny and healthy.
“Am I the first person who’s ever heard you ‘sing-sing’?” I asked after unintentionally looking her up and down.
“…yes” she croaked after thinking for a moment.
“Can I ask why?”
“You can.”
“Okay, why?”
“Because I have a horrible voice and an unearthly amount of fear on stages.”
“What are you talking about your voice is beautiful, and you get on-stage with us all the time!”
“Yeah but it’s different when you’re by yourself…”
“I know, but there’s really nothing to be afraid of.”
“Maybe so. Oh Billie it- we’re just so different aren’t we?”
“Yeah I guess we are. This is awkward so look I’ll leave so you can get dressed, I’m sorry I intruded.” I said quickly backing out of the steamy bathroom.
“Thanks Billie,” she whispered. I hadn’t really seen ‘anything’ (well a little) and I don’t know if I would have liked to.
“What happened?” Mike asked not looking up from his bass. I guess he meant: “Why aren’t you wet?”
“Uh Sam- I just accidentally walked in on Sam.” I stuttered. Mike began to laugh hysterically.
“You-walked-in-on-hahahaha-‘the love of your life’- while she was naked in the shower?! Did you get a boner too?!” he gasped as he started to cry from laughing so much.
“Yes and no!” I answered angrily.
“Yes you got a boner!?”
“NO! No I got a boner! Yes I walked in on her. You don’t understand she has the most beautiful voice…” I began to drift off remembering her voice so clear, the notes so precise even though she was acapella.
“Yeah well you say that about her eyes, her hair, and her lips. Even the way she says ya’ll sometimes instead of you all,” Mike rolled his eyes ticking off the things I had said during the duration of the three-almost four years I had known her.
“But I’m being serious if you heard her you’d be amazed. She sang that Etta James song, At Last, better than Etta James, she was acapella for God’s sake!” I indignantly spilled.
“Yeah right. I’ll believe when she sings and I hear her myself, deal?”
“Fine, but you’re a moron for not believing me,” I shrugged as he snorted.
“Yeah at least I’m not the one who’s obsessed with our best friend but won’t tell her.”
“And I’m not the one who won’t leave his girlfriend’s lips alone for one minute.” I pointed at the smudge of lip gloss above his lip. Looking in the mirror he grinned and wiped it off with the back of his hand.
“So what was it like seeing ‘Sammie-poo’ in her naked glory,” he teased. Trè snorted in his sleep and jolted awake.
“You saw Sam naked!?” he yelled.
“How’d he do that?” Mike thought out loud.
“Uh yeah she’s taking a show-, “before I could finish Trè had jumped off the bed and ran into the bathroom.
“OOPS SORRY!” he screamed as he flung open the door.
“Trè what are you doing?” she didn’t sound mad. Trè came out of the room with his head hung low.
“She wasn’t naked, she was brushing her teeth,” he pouted. That was just like Trè, naked girl, he’s all over it! Sometimes I wonder how he could ever settle down and have kids, he just seems like he’d get bored with one woman you know? I may have a bit of a wild side but I can’t wait to settle down with my wife, have a few kids, grow old, and play my music that is my dream. I don’t really want to grow old I want to more or less mature.
At around three o’clock in the morning I woke up to the sound of moans. Sitting up in bed I looked over at Trè, he was snoring deeply, that meant one thing. I turned around and saw Mike and Anastasia doing it right next to me.
“GAH! You two couldn’t wait, and save me the trouble of seeing this?” I shouted. “Trè you staying here?” he didn’t move and the couple hadn’t had any second thoughts so I went with my pillow and covers to the girl’s room. I lightly rapped on the door and Sam opened it.
“Is it time to get up already?” she asked as she groggily rubbed the sleep from her eyes.
“No uh Mike is in there losing his virginity to Anastasia and they’re kinda loud so can I sleep in here?”
“OH! Yeah of course come in,” she moved aside to let me in, her eyes wide. When I settled myself in a chair she piped up again, “So Mike and Anastasia huh? You think they really are in love or just a summer fling?”
“Mike is crazy about Anastasia. He talks about her 24/7 and is always like: ‘Do you think she’ll like roses and chocolates or something more expensive, blah, blah, blah’, “
“Anastasia’s the same way. That’s like all we ever hear from her. Mike this, Mike that, ‘Did you see the way Michael winked at me onstage?’ It’s really quite annoying,” she sighed, she lay on her stomach across the bed, feet towards the headboard so she could talk to me comfortably. It made me feel visible and acknowledged, you know? Sometimes I feel like a Disappearing Boy, which is where the inspiration for the song came from.
“So uh are you planning to leave mid-tour or stick it out for the whole thing?” I shyly asked.
“Well I thought I’d see if I could stick it out but that is susceptible to change if I get sick or my dad or Catcher you know?” she replied giving me her full attention.
“Right, okay. So uh, you think Trè and Starr will couple up?”
“I don’t know, they both like each other but Trè never gives off that boyfriend/girlfriend vibe. He just seems like he wouldn’t want a ‘relationship’. ” she sighed. Ever since Starr had actually started hanging out with us Trè flirted with Sam less and less, now it was every once in a while that he would try and seduce both girls at once. And Sam had never gone out with anyone after Derek, sure a lot of guys asked her out, even ones who had girlfriends, but she always declined politely. That was a trait I liked about her, she knew most of the guys wanted sex from her but she declined and stayed true to her ring. She really did believe ‘True Love Waits’.
“They make a cute couple though,” I stated hoping to steer the conversation towards us.
“Yeah.” She agreed staring at me with those eyes; it was a look that made my stomach do flips.
“Y-you know who else would make a good couple?” I croaked.
“No, who?” she looked at me quizzically.
“Uh-“I was getting ready to say ‘us’ when the door slammed open.
“Trè’s here! I can’t sleep you’d think they’d warn me when they feel like fulfilling their horny daydreams in our room!” he ranted walking over to us as Starr jerked awake from her sleep.
“Is the hotel on fire!?” she yelled.
“No, but Mike and Anastasia are. Can I sleep with you?” Trè explained, sounding like an innocent little boy.
“Yeah sure.” She answered Sam gave her a look and she blushed.
“So Billie what were you going to say before we were so rudely interrupted?” she glared at Trè. He giggled and snuggled up to Starr who tried to contain a grin.
“I-I um, nothing it was silly never mind.” I muttered and she frowned. Great I’m such a chicken. “Never forget chicken man,” that’s what they’ll say about me.
“Oh,” somehow I couldn’t help detect some sound of disappointment in her reply.
About an hour later we were all still awake, nodding off every now and then but never sleeping fully.
“It’s gotten quiet. I think they’re done,” Trè called from the bathroom where he had his ear pressed against the door. He opened in just a crack. “Yeah they’re out cold,” he whispered.
“Are you guys gonna go back now,” Starr yawned.
“Do you want us to?” Trè asked pretending to be hurt by her question.
“No! I mean were not putting you out but thought you’d want beds to sleep in not chairs and a single bed for two,” she said explaining herself.
“Okay we’ll stay,” he laughed bouncing into bed with her. Wearily my eyelids began to droop. The next thing I knew I had fallen into a deep sleep.
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
“Billie? Billie?” I poked his still form; he grunted and rolled over facing me from the chair. I saw that he had fallen asleep already. “Huh, well then sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite…or chair bugs?” I laughed, falling asleep myself.
The alarm sounded and it felt as though I had just closed my eyes. Well I already took my shower so I can sleep in some I smiled my eyes still shut as Billie, Trè and Starr began to moan and groan trying to rouse themselves from their comfortable positions.
Trè’s devious mind works early in the morning too apparently. He used all the hot water so Mike and Anastasia wouldn’t have any, I guess that’s what they get for keeping us up half the night.
Though the rowdy bunch insisted they would be alert for the night’s show it looked to me like they would be too exhausted to even keep they’re eyes open to play. Okay I was nervous for them but can you blame me, lyrics, chords, ‘dance-routines’, coming up with spur-of-the-moment remarks to make; it’s a lot to remember! Not to mention we still have to get there and set up.
Technically we had played the first show of the tour at a house with no roof, or electricity. The girl who owned the place wasn’t even there! We had played that in a city near where Trè lived, out in the more rural areas of California. This tour would be the first time Green Day would be playing out of state. They didn’t expect anyone to know the songs or have even heard of them, they were after all on a tiny independent label getting CDs and 7”s out by word of mouth.
Guess what? I heard Al quit his job driving the diaper truck; he’s now playing for a band back home on weekends. Mike did get one last paycheck from the clam-shucking guy; who helped fuel our Bookmobile/ Tour bus. I don’t think Billie stayed long enough to earn a single penny working at the pizza parlor. He would sit around eating the toppings and bringing out cold pizzas which were of course the wrong orders. I think music is like one of the only hopes he has of owning at least an apartment someday. Maybe he’ll live with Ollie (his mom) all his life, how sad is that?!
Our first out of state show was going to be in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Once when I was around thirteen my dad took me to the giant mall there. It was amazing, lets just say I spent my worth there. In Minnesota we would be playing at someone’s house.
“We’re HERE!” Trè whooped jumping out of the bookmobile and banging on the hood with his drumsticks.
“Frank Edwin Wright the third if you don’t cut that out I’m gonna wear your tail!” Mr. Wright called waving a fist at his son.
“Aww chill out dad I’m only getting pumped for the show.” He shrugged.
“I don’t care if you drum on something just don’t let it be anyone’s car,” he resisted as Trè muttered something about car’s having the best surface.
Setting up is not as easy as it looks. Billie like’s his microphone at just the right angle. If Mike doesn’t have coffee and his amp on the right setting he gets cranky. Trè is easy though, he doesn’t really care how his drums are placed as long as he can reach them. The party host introduced the band as they ran onto the home made ‘stage’.
“Okay this song is off our album, it’s called Paper Lanterns!” Billie said as the guys began the set.
Now I rest my head from
Such an endless dreary time
A tim eof hopes and happiness
That had you on my mind
Those days are gone and now it seems
As if I'll get some rest
But now and then I'll see you again
And it puts my heart to the test

So when are all my problems going to end?
I'm understanding now that
We are only friends
To this day I'm asking why
I still think about you

As the days go on I wonder
(will this ever end?)
I find it hard to keep control
When you're with your boyfriend
I do not mind if all I am is
Just a friend to you
But all I want to know right now
Is if you think about me too?

So when are all my problems going to end?
I'm understanding now that
We are only friends
To this day I'm asking why
I still think about you

So when are all my problems going to end?
I'm understanding now that
We are only friends
To this day I'm asking why
I still think about you!

The small crowd went wild, but all I could think about was the lyrics, in them I heard something I had never heard before,
*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
As I sang the first song I scanned the crowd. It was fairsized. I looked for Sam when a dark dreadlocked woman came into my view. She was beautiful, slightly tanned skin, brown eyes, curvy body, dark eye make-up and bright red lipstick. The woman bobbed her head to the beat, she looked like she was twenty or twenty-one years old. I made a mental note to approach her after the show, completely forgetting about Sam.
After the set I walked over to where Starr was with Trè. “Hey Starr who’s that girl?” I asked pointing towards the woman.
“Hmm, yeah let me check my book of ‘random people I’ve never met’!” she rifled through her purse befor speaking again. “Whoops sorry. I guess I left it in my other purse. Why do you think I would know some girl in Minnesota?!”
“Uh well, your dad works for Travelocity and…you know,” I stammered Starr can be scary.
“My dad works for Travelocity? What the heck does that have to do with anything?” she fumed. I think she’s a natural red-head.
“Er…I don’t know,” I hung my head at my moment of stupidity.
“Right just ‘cause my dad is obsessed with the sky makes me travel a lot,” she muttered. “You could try introducing yourself if your interested in her,” she calmly and slowly gave me a weak smile.
“Okay, yeah I think I will,” I now had a bit of confidence. I started to walk closer to her but as I reached a half-way point I was stopped by someone complimenting me on my performance.
“Dude you guys were great I bought like ten copies of your album and some shirts! Hey will you sign this one?” It was kinda cool that someone wanted my autograph. Once I finished scrawling my name on his CD case and pointing to where the rest of the band was hanging out I tried to see where the mystery girl went. She was nowhere in sight. Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder so I spun around and was met by mystery girl’s chocolate colored eyes.
“He I was wondered if I could get a 7”. The guy selling your stuff said you’re out but I thought I could pay extra and get it sent to me?”
“I-I…uh, yeah! Let me just get your info,” I squeaked. Man I was really nervous!
“Great! You guys were awesome tonight. Where are you playing tomorrow night maybe I’ll come.”
“Uh we’ll be playing another party in, here at someone’s elses house…different from here,” I could not make sense of what I just said but hopefully she understood.
“Okay,” she laughed. “Thanks,” she began to walk away.
“Wait! Whats your name?” I called after her.
“Adrienne Nesser!” she yelled back still smiling.
“Okay well I’m Billie Joe Armstrong!” she laughed again before wacing and heading back into the crowd, her long dark dreadlocks swaying behind her.
“Adrenne,” I repeated softly/
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
Dear Diary,
Seeing people actually congregate and support something they want to try or like is amazing. I get rushes when Bilie looks at em. Highs like that, just natural ones are some of the best feelings in the world. I’ve never experimented with drugs but I doubt they could compete with the feeling of love I feel everyday. When I was little I used to try and imagine that unconditional loce that I would one day feel towards my child, husband, and maybe even grandchild, but I never could. I know my dad has it for me amd my father, God, has it ten times over. When you think about a future spouse you always say “Oh priority number one: he has to look awesome, totally hot,” right? What would happen if we all based our marriages on looks? I tell you, no one would stay together. Once your youth would begin to fade and be replaced by gray your spouse would leave you and search for that youth in someone else. That’s why I wouldn’t care if the man I loved was thought of as ugly, because if his soul was pure he would be the most beautiful thing in the world. I like Billie because he understands, listens, and knows just what to say; I feel safe with him. As an added bonus he is very handsome! They say that safety is the first thing a girl looks for in a boy, they need to feel that security. If they don’t have a strong relationship with their dad it will be harder to know and love them because they won’t know how to be treated and will likely have pre-marrital sex. But sex isn’t bad at all, did you know that the first commandmant God gives Adam and Eve is to do it. It says “Go and be fruitful” but he means to do that within your marriage because that is His great design.
All that that I just told you is why I wait. How awkward would it be to stand at the altar and not be able to wear white, that would be a bit of a slap in the face don’t you think? You just proclaimed to the world and your husband “I didn’t wait for you”. I can’t even imagine how that would feel.
The first relationship I was ever in was with Derek, but did you know we never kissed. I think if we did I would have realized that he wasn’t for me, there wouldn’t have been those fireworks, you know? I’ll end now because I’m really tired so goodnight.
Love Always,
Samantha

We’ve been in Minnesota for over a week now. I rarely ever get a chance to talk to Billie, he always seems to have his cell phone practically glued to his ear, taking orders, confirming mailing info, and asking Larry for more stock is much more work that I actually thought it was. He also tends to call a certain someone everyday I don’t know who it is but I wonder if he has a girlfriend I don’t know about. Haha thinking of that made me thnk of the phrase ‘secret lover’, you know like that My Circle comercial…nevermind. I’ve actually lost count of all the places I’m going to every night. I try and keep track but every place looks the same. I thought I was seeing things when I saw some faces I recognized from other nights but no, people were actually becoming dedicated fans, a few knew the choruses and would air guitar all night long. It was kinda cool even though technically I’m not in the band. Seeing a band start from the beginning and slowly but steadily working it’s way to becoming semi-famous was unbelieveable, if any of you want to see it start a band and tape it 24/7 until their big. Bot only will you have tapes and tapes of inside jokes, but you’ll be amazed.
I went into shock when I was woken up at four in the morning half-way through the second week.
“Psst Sam you asleep?” in the dark I could make out a shadowy form of someone sitting up in a chair.
“Yes, well now I’m not,” I said thinking about who I was talking to and realizing it was Anastasia.
“Sorry but I really need to talk to you. Follow me,” she commanded stressig the “really”. I followed her from under the covers. We closed the door and turned on the light hesitantly so as not to wake up Starr or the guys. Once inside she began to weep.
“Ana? What’s wrong?” I didn’t know what the heck was going on but I knew I would be finding out soon. Confortingly I rubbed her back trying to soothe her.
“Oh Sam I’m so scared,” I began to say, “Of what?” when she held up a pregnacey test. One of those pee-on-the-stick kind.
“OH! Your pregnant?” I whispered taken completely aback.
“That’s the thing I don’t know, I’ve been too scared to actually take the test. I know that I have had some symptoms though; morning sickness, food cravings, heightened sense of smell. Oh God Sam what if I am pregnant and Mike leaves me or-“ she wept even more profuesly at the grim thought.
“Shh, Mike wouldn’t leave you but you are going to have to figure out when the best time to tell him is; if you’re pregnant that is. This could just be a false alarm right?” I tried to sound optomistic but with her description I feared the worst. She took the test and set it on the counter. We waited fifthteen minutes, the time designated on the box.
“Go check if. I can’t look at it,” she cried, I could tell she was terrified so I got up form where I was seated on the bathroom mat to see what Anastasia’s outlook was. I frowned and picked up the box comparing it to the test.
“Maybe it’s wrong,” I squeaked as she took one look at my solemn expression and began to bawl harder.
“I don’t think it’s wrong. What am I going to do, I don’t have a job! Mike doesn’t earn that much when he plays gigs! I’m probably going to get kicked out of my house!” she was in hysterics now, banging the back of her head against the rim of the bathtub. It didn’t look good, she did have a right to be freaking out I know if I was in her shoes I would be. All those things she said might be true, I thought. I wanted to help her so badly but I had no idea what I could do.
“You have to tell Mike as soon as possible,” I stated after about five minutes of silence.
“Whats he going to think. Do you think we’ll get married now?” It was funny that she asked me that because I had just been thinking the same thing.
“He’ll be shocked for a minute but happy I know that for sure. And you know what, he probably will marry you now…is that what you want?” I smiled a kind of half-smile. She hesitated before answering.
“…I love Mike. I never thought about it, sure I told him that tons but I really do, I know I would marry him in a heart beat because I love him.” She smiled, through a tear-streaked complexion I saw a new Anastasia. I always thought that Ana was the pretty but dim one but now I saw that she just had her moments of stupidity. She really thought ahead especially now that she was going to be growing anothere life inside her. It was an amazing thought.