If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

"Yes!" "I do."

If you read my story please be sure to leave your thoughts on my comment page so I can improve my story. Thank you, Sam
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
“Jared!” I squealed, squeezing him tight and giving him a big kiss.
“Oh babe I missed you!” he exclaimed.
“Likewise,” I mumbled against his shoulder. “Hey are you doing anything this Monday?”
“No, why?” he asked puzzled.
“How would you like to escort me to a wedding?”
“I’d be honored. Does this wedding happen to be for one of your friends from Green Day?”
“Why yes, I believe it does,” I said feeling a fit of giggles sweeping over me. We were still in the terminal at gate B since Jared had just picked me up after a long flight; I was exhausted but seeing him made me perk up a bit…just a bit (okay a lota bit).
“Okay how ‘bout we head out of here and go grab some dinner?” Jared suggested.
“Hmm sounds like a plan,” I answered just enjoying being in his presence.
We took my suitcases to the car and set off.
“Have I told you that I love you today?” he asked kissing my hand as I laced my fingers in his.
“Not yet,” I laughed.
“Oh well, I love you he whispered.
“I love you too but focus on the road please.” I smiled.
Jared pulled the car into the parking lot of a park.
“I thought we were going out to eat.” I stated with a confused expression.
“Follow me,” he responded. How’s that for a straight answer! He took me to a small clear pond that had freshly planted orchids all around. He knew that was my favorite flower.
“Jared this is beautiful.” I whispered holding his hand, well the one that wasn’t shoved deep into his pocket.
“Your beautiful, radiant, and perfect.” His brown eyes stared into my bright blue ones with deep emotion and liveliness. I gasped as he clung to my hand and got down on one knee, holding a small blue box up towards me.
“Samantha Kratzer I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?” The box’s hinges let out a squeak as he flipped open the top revealing a gorgeous gold banded diamond ring.
“I-I, oh Jared!” was all I could muster in my state of shock. Was this what Anastasia had felt like. I mean it’s not everyday that you get a marriage proposal.
“Is that a yes?” he asked still holding the box out to me.
“…Yes. Yes. But promise me one thing.” I answered slowly and began to make my own proposal. He pumped a fist in the air before responding, “Anything babe.”
“Promise me we won’t get married until next year when I turn twenty.” I moved the ring Billie had given me to my middle finger so it would be on the same hand next to the engagement ring instead of under it.
“That’s fine but why?”
“I want to have one year of college under my belt so that I’ll be able to handle classes and planning a wedding.” I answered truthfully.
“Okay I guess I can wait for you a little more,” he responded kissing my temple and sliding the beautiful banded jewel onto my ring finger.
Jared and I left for California on Sunday. We didn’t drive because, neither one of us felt like driving all day, night and part of the next morning to get there so instead we opted to fly. Let me tell you going by plane is by far superior to by car! He and I got off the plane feeling refreshed and ready to see a wonderful ceremony. We had managed to get a section in the coach area all to ourselves so we napped; my head on his shoulder and his on top of mine. The only bad part is I can never seem to get perfectly comfortable in one place for very long in both planes and cars when I nap so I get serious neck cramps, and Jared’s head wasn’t exactly helping that fact either! So I guess we weren’t completely refreshed when we stepped into the corridor that led to our exit terminal.
I had gone with Jared on Saturday to the Mall of America, my millionth time since I go just about every time I visit him, and helped him pick out a new tux and I got a new dress that wouldn’t upstage the blooming bride and mother-to-be.
On the day of the wedding I bustled around trying to get ready so we could get to the church on time.
“Oh, Jared fix your cowlick please.” I pleaded as he came out of the bathroom in his tuxedo. Jared always had one side of his head that was flipped out way higher than the other. His reddish-brown hair fell that way because he always went to bed with wet hair and slept on that side. Up until now it hadn’t bothered me but all of a sudden I wanted my fiancée, wow that’s going to take some getting used to, to look the part; perfect.
“I can’t,” he protested, I could tell he felt like being lazy today.
“I’ll do it c’mere.” I grabbed his wrist and led him to the bathroom. The only way I knew how to make his hair even without flattening it to his head was to take a curling iron and flip the other side more so that his hair could be at a nice equilibrium.
After Jared burning himself twice we managed to make it out the door and speed down to the church with a few minutes to spare, but were face with another challenge; boy this wasn’t going to be an easy day!

Anastasia was going nuts! Crying hysterically, and worrying about everyone else’s positions except her own. Then more trouble came.
“Uh Ana?” It was Trè he lightly rapped on the door knowing how distraught she was.
“What is it, are the caterers done setting up? Did my sister finally show up?” she sobbed as a stylist her parents hired tried to do her makeup.
“Uh that’s the thing she ran off with her boyfriend to Vegas. They decided to elope today of all days. So the Maid-of-honor will be a no-show,” he replied.
“Oh my God! This, this is a sign isn’t it? A sign that I shouldn’t marry Mike! Oh what am I going to do.”
“Anastasia pull yourself together! You are marrying the man of your dreams, your eight months pregnant with his baby for God’s sake! You will walk down that aisle looking gorgeous as usual and it won’t matter because you’ll forget all about you sister!” I commanded. She stopped crying and the makeup artist was finally able to do her makeup.
“Sam!” she exclaimed with a bright bubbly smile.
“What?”
“Will you be my Maid-of-honor?”
“But my dress is different.” I replied looking down at my happy yellow summer dress that was comfortable yet formal. The bridesmaids all wore elegant royal purple gowns.
“That’s okay because you’re not a bridesmaid, you’d be the Maid-of-honor, you can be different!” There was no stopping her now that her heart was set on me being her right-hand woman.
“Alright. Just tell me what to do.” I sighed.

In a slow march the wedding procession began down the aisle. The flower girl and ring-bearer followed by myself and the bridesmaids and finally Ana and her father with a veil obscuring her face. Mike looked at her from the alter with eyes full of love and a smile of adoration. Anastasia was crying again but for the pure bliss feeling she had not like the ones of dread she expressed not fifteen minutes earlier.
The bridesmaids included Starr; Mike’s sister Myla, Trè’s sister Lori and his cousin Bex, as well as Anna; Billie Joe’s sister, and Ana’s youngest sister. Starr stuck out the most with her bubblegum colored hair but in a way it seemed to work. No one seemed to even notice that my dress stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the other girls, the dark purple of their gowns actually made the yellow of mine brighter.
Ana’s father kissed her cheek as a steady stream of tears flowed down his own cheeks as he gave her away.
The pastor began the ceremony as everyone settled down and the pianist stopped playing the “Here Comes the Bride” song. As he got closer to Ana’s “I do” I noticed her begin to cringe. I raised an eyebrow and looked at Starr; she nodded at me as if to say, “Yeah something’s wrong.” Anastasia’s invisible pain seemed to get steadily worse until we saw her brow sweating.
“And do you Anastasia, take Michael Ryan Pritchard to be your lawfully wedded husband?” Father Jamison asked looking at Ana.
“I d-“ she started before letting out a sharp cry.
“Ana?!” Mike, Starr, and I burst in unison.
“I do,” she said letting out a breath. She looked at us and closed her eyes letting us know she was alright.
“I now pronounce you man and wife,” Father Jamison smiled and clapped his bible closed. Mike dipped Ana and gave her a long romantic kiss as the crowd aww’d.
The newly weds grabbed hands and began to run down the aisle but had to stop suddenly.
“Ahh!” Anastasia screamed.
“Ana?! What’s wrong?!”
“Oh my God! Mike! Mike my water just broke!” she cried. He stared at her in horror.
“S-so it’s time?” he croaked turning stark white.
“No. I’m only having contractions and my water just broke because your baby wants to stay in for another month,” she sarcastically spat before groaning and grabbing her stomach, doubled over and panting.
“Mike c’mon!” I yelled grabbing him and pushing him towards the exit. I began to help Starr carry Ana to a car that Ana’s parents had brought out front. Mike was letting Ana squeeze his hand and talking to her gently giving her words of comfort, encouragement, and reminding her to breathe. For someone that was terrified out of his wits he was doing extremely well despite his late reaction.
We piled into the van and sped off to the hospital. Once there we ran and got Ana a wheelchair and pulled her up to the front desk.
“May I help you?” the receptionist asked cheerfully.
“We need a room fast my wife just went into labor!” Mike practically screamed.
“Oh my! Yes follow me I’ll page a doctor stat.” she motioned for us to follow her quickly as we raced down the pale yellow and beige halls.
The nurse that was attending the room got Ana a hospital gown and hung up her wedding dress for her, helping her to get onto the bed to prepare for the doctor.
“I’m sorry but only Mr. Pritchard will be allowed in the room,” she frowned as we all tried to cram into the small room. We calmly backed out to wait on the benches outside the room. Though we could not see what was going on we could still hear her screams of pain and the doctor commanding her to, “Just a few more strong pushes! You’re almost there!"
Suddenly the room grew silent. The moments of absolute quiet seemed to last forever. Then we heard it! The cry of life that was so beautiful after we had held our breath in anticipation for that little noise.