If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

"I Love You's Not Enough, I'm Lost For Words"

*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
The doctor came out pulling off his mask and grinning.
“You can come in and see the parents now,” his voice was very tranquil. Pushing we crammed into the small room.
“Is that a boy or a girl?” Trè asked staring at the newborn.
“Trè!” Starr whispered sternly, hitting his arm. “Stop checking out the baby you sicko!”
“It’s a girl, Estelle-Desiree…Pritchard.” Ana answered smiling as she spoke her new surname.
“She’s beautiful.” I whispered.
“Yeah.” Everyone agreed.
“Hey where’s Bill? We’re naming him as Estelle’s godfather.” Mike asked to no one in particular as he looked around the room for his small friend.
“What?! You’re letting him be best man and godfather?! But I do a way better impression of the Godfather!” Trè fumed. Starr slapped her hand to her forehead.
“Here they come hun.” Mike’s mom replied. I looked out the doorway and saw Derek helping a wobbly Billie Joe down the hall to the room.
“Sos guys what did I miss?” Billie asked looking as though his mind was else where. I now noticed Adrienne behind him looking embarrassed.
“It took some convincing to get him to leave the bar.” Jared informed us jerking a thumb at the drunken Billie Joe who was now giggling like crazy at nothing.
“Look at him Mike! He’s drunk and you’re naming him your daughter’s godfather?! He’ll be like everyone’s weird uncle who’s drunk all the time and walks around wearing a g-string!” Trè spat still objecting.
“Trè the next kid I have you get to be his or her weird uncle, okay; you’ve got full rights to that title alright?’ Mike sighed giving into Trè but on his own terms.
“Fine, but don’t forget.” Trè pouted. He is more of a child then my father!
“C’mon Adrienne I’ll help you get Billie something to sober him up. Maybe there’s some decent coffee in the cafeteria.” I grabbed hold of one of Billie’s arms and she quietly took the other glancing at the baby one last time before we headed out the door.
Why oh why did I always have to do the ‘right thing’. The long walk with the wasted Billie was one of the most awkward times in my life, literally. I had envied Adrienne, I had wanted to hate her, but after walking together with one purpose I knew she was one of those people; the kind you can’t hate once you spend some time with each other.
She’s good for him, I repeated over and over in my mind. It hurt that I wasn’t the one he cared about but I had Jared now, falling back in love with Billie Joe would make it even harder not to accidentally call my fiancée that. My fiancée! That’s right I hadn’t told anyone not even my dad! I was going to tell him at the after-party thing but with the baby coming I never got a chance to.
I wonder constantly, why did I have to fall in love with him? And then I remember everything I love…loved about him.
With spring break so close I decided to just take the rest of the week and spring break off to stay in good ol’ California with my friends and family. Adrienne and I had sorta become friends; well it wasn’t as awkward anymore. I don’t think Billie remembered much about the birth of baby Estelle or Stella as everyone has taken to calling her; well except for Mike he called her Hero because when she got checked out she had nothing wrong with her considering the fact that she was a month early.
*** Flashback***
Adrienne had left me to stay with Billie Joe since she didn’t like needles; she vowed to bring back coffee though. We had taken him to the nurse’s station and asked if they could sober him up so they decided to give him and IV drip.
“Hey-Ssam,” he slurred.
“What?” I didn’t mean to sound sharp, it just sort of came out sounding that way.
“I lurve you.” He said grinning stupidly.
“I love you too.” I replied thinking he meant as a best friend or a sister; we used to say it to each other in a sarcastic way all the time when we were playfully arguing.
“I love you.” He repeated only less drunkenly. His bright, lively green eyes stared at me as he spoke those words I only, had only wished were true. I saw his hand twitch then move up to my face from the corner of my eye.
“Kiss me. You love me, kiss me,” he commanded, his thumb stroking my cheek.
“No. No! I’m engaged you’re dating Adrienne! No!” I yelled shocked that he would do such a thing, but also upset that he had gotten me right back to where I had been during the tour. Then I would have kissed him in a heartbeat but now I wouldn’t ever in a million years do that!
He fell asleep not five minutes after my mini-meltdown. Tomorrow, lucky him won’t remember any of this, but I will. The only solace I find in this situation is that he’ll have a serious hangover too.
-End Flashback
Why did that happen?! Did he mean it? God, so many questions but no answers… do I even want the answers?