If Opposites Attract, Then We Were Meant to Be

"I Am Afraid To Walk This World Alone"

*** Billie’s P.O.V. ***
“Can you say Awkward Turtle?” Trè raised his eyebrows and made a turtle motion with his hands as I told him and Mike about what had just happened.
Awkward Turtle?” Mike asked giving Trè a look.
“Yeah it’s like what you say when there are awkward things going on, you know, like uncomfortable silences, like that.” He explained.
“Okay then,” Mike whistled turning his attention back to me.
“What am I going to do? Jared’s dead so do I tell her he cheated on her; she kissed me do I break up with Adrienne? God, I’m so confused!” I hit my hands on the steering wheel in frustration as I went over everything that had happened.
*** Sam’s P.O.V. ***
He’s not gone, at least that’s how it feels. I still expect his morning phone calls, his random pictures that he used to send, going to visit him and his family. The counselor was referred to me, yet again. It’s like everyone’s afraid I’m going to crack from all my life’s tragedies and axe-murder them (like I’d pick and axe to kill someone with!). Maybe it’s because somehow word got spread throughout the entire campus about my predicament and then if got out about my mom and brother; let’s just say my school gossips were having a field day! Everywhere I turned I saw pairs or groups whispering and not making eye contact with me but staring as I turned my back to them. You’d think I did something illegal or something, honestly.
“You okay Sam?” Lizzie was in my dorm again. I swear she might as well be my roommate because she’s in here almost 24/7.
“Fine.” I replied obviously I wasn’t, I needed everything to be okay. I wanted Jared back. I wanted to not have kissed Billie Joe. There were so many things I wanted but could never have happen. I’ll never get to marry Jared next month. Why? Because he’s dead and I’m cursed, he killed himself probably because of me. I did something he couldn’t live with, or maybe it was something I didn’t do.
“Phone’s ringing,” Lizzie stated pulling me out of my thoughts.
“Hello?” I said picking up the phone.
“Sam? Uh, it’s Billie.”
“Oh hey what are you doing calling me…I don’t mean that in a mean way though,” I babbled.
“Um, I’m not really sure. I guess I just, I just needed to know your okay,” he answered quietly.
“Well everyone keeps asking me that and I’ve told them all many variations of I’m fine, so yeah I’m okay.”
“This may seem like a weird question but; have you cried since you found out?” It was as if he had read my mind.
“…No, is that normal do you think?”
“Depends, did you cry a lot when your mom and brother…you know?”
“Died, croaked, passed on; I can go all day with the synonyms,” I said sharply being a smart-aleck.
“Yeah.” He answered. His voice was filled with sympathy that could be aimed at no one else but me.
“Well yes, so much my dad was scared I would get dehydrated. It really messed with my head, that’s why I’ve gone through so much counseling.” I replied quietly; almost ashamed.
“Maybe that’s why. You suffer great losses but cry for only about ten minutes because nothing has been as devastating as your mother and brother’s deaths.” He concluded.
“So you’re a shrink now, huh? Trying to analyze the crazy girl, who at any minute might self-destruct!” here I go again. A whirlwind of unnecessary anger. Lucky for me Lizzie understands the panic attack like business. She got up and handed me a brown paper bag so I could regain control of my breathing again.
“She’ll have to call you back Billie, hey say hi to Mike for me. Bye.” Lizzie executed everything perfectly.
“Hey Liz, ever thought of becoming an anxiety specialist doctor?” I asked weakly, still a bit short of breath.
“Nah, I’ve got my work cut out for me with you,” she laughed.
“Thanks for everything though.”
“Yeah well…” she shrugged.
“How modest of you,” I laughed shoving her playfully.
“Hey I’ve got to go I’ve got a class okay.” She stated packing up her stuff.
“Yeah me too. Let’s walk together!” I didn’t really feel like being alone.
“Okay but hurry or we’ll be late.”
“Says the Queen of Tardiness.” I smiled picking up my books that were in a neat pile.
Finals for some classes were today so you could almost feel the tension of those that were taking them or waiting to take them. Only a few people were finished, and very happy about it.
“I’m free! I’m free!” a boy who was probably a junior, was whooping as he left a building where exams were being held. He ran towards Lizzie and me at full speed and gave us both a kiss.
“Hey I’m t-“I almost said taken but I had to remember I wasn’t anymore.